The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Saddle Saga Continues - Withery TB?

Alright, its time for a new saddle, mine does not fit my horse and I am EXTREMELY low on cash (as a starving student ) I could probably sell my current saddle fr $800-1000 dollars, assuming a buyer in this market. So that would be my budget, possibly a little more.

I am very long in my thigh, so need a long flap, and my new horse has typical TB sharkfin withers.

Any suggestions?
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look
    around once in a while you could miss it.

Popular Vote - Delaney

I've always had the most luck with the Prestige saddles for shark fins. The Red Fox line is the more economical of the Prestige saddles.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

While my saddle (and my horse, for that matter) are old - saddle is 15 years old and horse is 28 - but both are hanging tight - I can relate.

My horse also has the withers of Everest so when I bought my Kiefer Wien, I bought used from a gal at my barn (after riding in it for about a week or so to see how I liked it, but more importantly to see how he liked it). I was also on a budget and she was selling it as she had just purchased a new saddle. She and I came to a payment arrangement that I could afford.

I encourage you to ask folks - both at stores and elsewhere if they are flexible with regard to payment. You may be surprised at how willing folks are to help out.

Good luck.

P.S. bought the Wien because it has the cut back so it would never possibly pinch him.

I bought something that "fit" the horse and then shimmed it with a Mattes pad till he finished growing/filling out a little. Then last week I got all the foam taken out, and the tree widen, so now he has his very own saddle (that fits no one else in the barn! ). It's an older Delgrange that was in beautiful condition and quite a deal given the condition of the saddle. To get the tree widen/foam replaced with wool was $450. It was a better alternative to a new saddle.

My BdH is the first saddle that really worked on my slender TB with big withers and a huge shoulder - as far as non-custom saddles. Check out Dover - I think they are on closeout now (although that may mean they aren't doing test rides). You also might be able to find a used on if you get lucky for under $1000.

Have you checked out www.usedsaddles.com? They have a really good trial program so you can test a few out.

ETA: I don' know what size you're looking for and the flap may be too short, but this may be worth a try - it's a good saddle and good deal - http://usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=pnnfflcq

Thanks so much, guys! What do you think of the bates caprilli c/c?

Popular Vote - Delaney

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonH93 View Post
    NO.

I have an HDR that I use on my horse who is a Thoroughbred cross, but built like a true TB. He has big withers and I used an HDR and a Beval's Theraputic pad on him. Works like a charm. I also have a long thigh and it fits me well.

I actually bought a Dover close contact saddle that seems to fit a lot of horses quite well. its very comfy. found it for $600 on ebay.

That's my favorite saddle ever, for me...but I also have a shark withered TB and it did NOT work out at all. No amount of padding could have "fixed" it either. Unfortunately.
    I went with a Courbette Extra Forward/Long CC (but that's black and brown, probably not a good saddle for hunters) and I love it. It's long and forward enough for my freakishly long thigh and it fits my horse with a fluffy half pad (will most likely fit him perfectly with more muscle )
    Katie

If someone out there could make a saddle to fit those TB withers, for under $1500, I bet they'd sell a boatload....

Seems the toughest type of horse to find an affordable saddle for.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    If someone out there could make a saddle to fit those TB withers, for under $1500, I bet they'd sell a boatload....

Seems the toughest type of horse to find an affordable saddle for.
    Somebody does:

Thorowgood.

The company is makes saddles not only different tree WIDTHS, but also different tree SHAPES.
    They specifically have a saddle with a tree designed for high withers.

I believe the saddles are wool flocked, so that once you have a basically correct tree width and shape for your horse, a saddle fitter can tweak the flocking for the final, customized fit.

The saddles are available new through Dover for around $500.
    If the OP lives in the NY/NJ area, the pro saddle fitter I use for my horses just signed on to use them as one of the many brands she represents, because of how many options they have to really and truly fit the horse.

I have wondered about Thorowgood saddles. Have you ridden in one?

Also seems there are more TB-friendly type saddles in the UK... I'm tempted to have a friend over there pick one up for me....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    I have wondered about Thorowgood saddles. Have you ridden in one?

Also seems there are more TB-friendly type saddles in the UK... I'm tempted to have a friend over there pick one up for me....
    I have not, but based on their price and the facts that
    1.) I ride a lot of different horses and
    2.) my saddle fitter now represents them and can custom fit/flock one to a horse that needs something different than the saddles I currently have, I probably will soon.

For example I do not have a saddle to accommodate a high withered horse or a very wide backed horse, and if I start riding one of those regularly I would just as soon spend $500 on a saddle that really fits him, and then have that saddle around as part of the "fitting repetoire".

It could be a great way to have a selection of saddles that really enables someone who rides a lot of horses to be able to fit the horses well without spending $20,000 on saddles. For the same price as one Antares or Devoucoux you really could fit pretty much every horse in the barn.

Anything with wool can be custom flocked and if you get something with an adj tree (many of the major trees made in the UK are adj as well as the french) if can grow with the horse. I like wool for high withers and foam for flatter backs and low withers generally...

I was really thinking about the BdH, It seems the long flap would fit well, and for the current price at dover its worth a try (darling mother and father said they'd help pay for it, anything for their princes.. and I'm not talking about me! They just loove my mare!) I also like the options wool can afford me. How is the quality of the BdH? I ride very frequently and want something that will hold up.

Popular Vote - Delaney

I have a Caprilli and I haven't been impressed with it on the shark-finned beasties.

My #1 daughter (who has long thighs) had a Northrun Ashland that she rode Mr. Studly in. He's a broad TB with very prominent withers. That saddle was fabulous for him! It was also a very nice saddle for the money. I paid less than $500 for it used.
    Y'all ain't right!

Nope. Especially not for a TB with withers. Not enough clearance on those saddles.

And the shape of the panels is sometimes odd...and I am not sold on the adjustable gullet/air panels yet.

I would go with Kieffer. Kieffer does make some nice jumping saddles as well. I have the Kieffer Arlene and love it. My TB has a decent wither on him and a large shoulder as most TB's do. Fit him wonderfully. The Saddle Dr. was very impressed with the fit.

They are also wool flocked so that gives you room to adjust. Some Kieffer's also offer a certain tree (some are called the Excellent tree) and it can be placed on a machine my a Kieffer saddle fitter and the tree can be specially molded to your horse via some sort of infrared technology I believe...it heats up the tree and molds it.

And it's a Kieffer, it will last forever.

I've also heard good things about BdH's and Passiers for TB's.

I was really thinking about the BdH, It seems the long flap would fit well, and for the current price at dover its worth a try (darling mother and father said they'd help pay for it, anything for their princes.. and I'm not talking about me! They just loove my mare!) I also like the options wool can afford me. How is the quality of the BdH? I ride very frequently and want something that will hold up.
    The quality is super. No, it's not a 3,000+ French saddle, but it is the comprable to the older Crosbys or Pessoas. I've had mine two years and it looks great, never had an issue with it. I really think you'd be impressed with the quality when comparing to other saddles in (and above) your price range.

My Childeric fits my big withered TB. I had a Bates, he loathed it, and before that I had a Forestier, which he and I both hated So happy with my Childeric.

I say this as someone who was once on a small saddle budget myself and own a withery TB. Like, $400 the first time and $1200 the next time. Thankfully I now own an Amerigo, but trust me, I've been in your shoes.

I am TIRED of reading threads like this on COTH because they always end with the same tragedy. The OP gets a bunch of specific saddle brands thrown at them, and in desperation to get themselves mounted up again quickly and get their horse comfortable, they start pumping out $50 or $75 apiece to get the saddles UPS'ed to their house with VERY little indication that it will or will not fit the horse (pretty much just the words of a stranger on a bulletin board). Or even worse, they buy the saddle at their local shop and then have to pay huge restocking fees, never mind the cost of gas back and forth. And before you know it, that $1000 budget just became a $700 budget because of the cost of shipping and restock fees--or, in rare cases, because of the investment in additional corrective padding after the saddle purchase to "make it work". 9 times out of 10, the buyer becomes so frustrated that they up the budget to include money that they don't have. My FAVORITE iteration of this game is when it ends with the OP buying a brand new saddle at $1900 that they could have had used for $800, but they gave up and stopped looking.

Yes, there are specific brands that tend to fit TB's well. About half of them have been listed on this thread; Stubben, Passier, and a few others got left behind. But all of the saddles listed on this thread already fit VERY differently. Choosing one at random to try, no matter how nice the saddle brand (like BdH or Northrun), is a stab in the dark.

Shannon, if you don't want to be a victim of this ridiculous cycle, here's what needs to happen. Either spend $10 at your local office supply/art supply store for a flexible curve, or find yourself a very flexible piece of wire (I recommend disassembling a cheap flimsy coat hanger). Learn to take wither tracings; it's not rocket science and there's excellent instructions on the Internet (try www.trumbullmtn.com for a picture tutorial). Every withery TB has a different curvature to their spine, a different wither height, a different degree of fullness or hollowness to the sides of their withers, a different relationship between the wither and scapula, and you can't capture that without pictures of the back from several crucial angles and wither tracings.

Put a set of tracings onto gift wrap or another flimsy paper that you can cheaply mail away for free saddle fitting advice. Imagine how much time you'll save consulting someone like Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop, who will actually HOLD UP the tracings to the saddles that they intend to send you, meaning you've got much better odds of success.

Put another set on cardboard so that you can cut it out and take it with you on shopping trips to the local tack stores (very educational as it'll give you a rough picture of tree size and panel shape needs, which means that if you DO end up having to order a saddle from afar, you can ask the right questions about how it's built). Don't forget to hold up those cardboard tracings to every saddle your friends or trainer will allow you to compare it with.

Then, and only then, start paying to have saddles shipped out to you. You probably won't strike gold the very first time because the saddle will also have to fit *you*, but you'll greatly increase your odds of success. And if you're lucky, you'll learn a thing or two about saddle fitting along the way so that next time--and sadly, there is always a next time with saddle fit--you'll be more educated about your horse's back and her needs.