The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It never ceases to anger me...

... when I think about the greedy jerks who got us into such an awful recession.. especially when I read things like this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/ny...ef=long-island

But thank God for people like the lady in this article... and it's good that this is being brought to many people's attention by being on the NYT's homepage in the "featured" section! I vote we buy a huge farm and take in as many as we can... if only that were possible...

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Fortunately though I have not heard of any rescues near me that have had to go out of business (so far--knock on wood)!

Not sure about how many horses are being being rescued from New Holland but according to what I read there are some, which is better than none....

Yeah, it's a puppy kicking world out there.... Support your local equine rescues!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I read this too, loved how she helps people with their feed bill and her husband volunteers veterinary care.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I also liked the part of the article at the end where they talk about some of the good things that have happened - the number (even though small) of horses that have been adopted.

While I can't offer any major financial assistance, it did give me pause to decide to call a local rescue and offer to volunteer for chores, etc. It isn't much but if they have someone call in sick or need it, at least it's something until such time as I can start helping financially.

But to the OP's original comment - I agree with you - I too am amazed at how many folks get a horse without realizing the possible expense involved. I also am dubious of their efforts to work with their feed stores, vets, etc. to negotiate payment plans until such time as they are more financially stable. In my experience, the horse community is absolutely one of the BEST at working together.

It's a pity more vets don't offer "bargain" euthanasia services....in Maryland, when I had to put my Shire down due to horrible founder (after a 5 month fight) it cost over $230 for the euthanasia and $300 for Universal Protein (1-800-Dead-Cow...that's really their phone number).

When I had a mare die a while back, I called the local fox hunt kennel...I figured since we rode to these hounds, it was a bit Karmic to have her feed the hounds...but it's a real pity people abandon their old and not healthy horses since it costs $500 to euthanize the poor beasts.

Arrow

I forwarded this to my Representative and Senator. They need to know how this economy effects all of us. I had to get a job away from the farm to support my business due to the decline in lessons. The FIRST time I have had this happen in 28 years! And Thank GOD I have no mortgage and Hubby has a great secure job! It makes hanging in through this depression possible thus far.

I am listed on the Unwanted Horse Coalition web site. I have always found great joy in taking in horses and ponies with no where else to go. And then bringing them into a new career in my programs. Yesterday I had a guy call me SOBBING his farm is in foreclosure and his last remaining horse of 25 years has nowhere to go. He has no money, no job, his wife left him and the kids, the other horses died from old age and here he is with nowhere to go. The grand old horse is in really good shape - just WOW I was blown away!

Tonight I get a call from a family in the state next to mine. Family Farm in foreclosure 6th generation - full of grandpa's OLD horses - what to do & where to go? No $$ to feed them no $$ to put them down. They are in pretty good condition all things considered. Too old to sell. Just heart breaking!

What do we do guys? We need HELP out here!!! The rescues are over full here and only accepting court ordered impoundments. We are in over our heads......
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    Look at the pics. Page 4 highlights Amaryllis Rescue who used to shell out thousands to ship 'rescue' horses from WA state, via "CBER", to LI to save them while horses right here in NY needed help. The amount she paid in shipping certainly could have helped a few more, or gone to another rescue to help horses. It doesn't matter how much of a discount she got on shipping, it's still an amount that could have helped more rather then less.

I just don't 'get it'- paying a dealer meat price x 2, then hundreds in Quarantine, then more hundreds per horse to ship them clear across the country When rescues in this state are trying to place horses or find a place for them to go until they can be placed. Heck if you want to get hard luck cases from a dealer who are going to slaughter head over to Camelot Auction in NJ!
    Quote directly from their website:
    'Please realize that in over 95% of rescues, we have Paid their ransom (bail) to the kill buyer to free them. We then must hire transport to get them home to safe haven. Typically we spend between $1200-$2000 per horse before they step onto the farm!'

What my local rescue could do with $1200-2000/horse. *sigh*

Yes each horse saved is a good thing... but to follow that line of thought MORE of those horses saved should be a better thing, right?
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Mar. 2, 2009 at 09:04 AM.

We never want to make the hard decisions. Our culture wants to say yes to everything

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...uthanasia.aspx

Don't forget the BLM mustangs.

Another group of unwanted horses.

30,000 of them on the federal dole.

But, that is a fair amount of federal contractors who get paid to take care of them and do head counts.

And, there are 6000 more than they can sustain on the range (33,000 and should be 27,000).

But, they are a bargain to let the feds take care of.

under 600/year per horse if you divide the projected budget of $37M by 63,000 horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Quote directly from their website:
    'Please realize that in over 95% of rescues, we have Paid their ransom (bail) to the kill buyer to free them. We then must hire transport to get them home to safe haven. Typically we spend between $1200-$2000 per horse before they step onto the farm!'
    I just had another thought on this, these people got ALOT of donations for these horses iirc.
    I'll go check with Marilyn the Accountant, but as I remember it was not all THEIR money that brought these horses to LI, so how they can say 'we spend between...' when some/much of it was donated money I can not figure.
    Maybe because it makes them look good?

Didn't a bunch of that money come from the ABR board??? And where are all those horses anyway?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

While they paid for most of the horses to get shipped from WA to LI, NY, most of the horses were 'group adoptions', meaning paid for by someone else or a group who then 'gave' the horse to Amaryllis.
    I've got the stats on that, just need to look through the speadsheet so I can report accurately.

I'm all for saving a horse any way you can, but I also think we have to be careful and frugal with the finite money there is to do that saving with. As we all know things are getting tighter these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    We never want to make the hard decisions. Our culture wants to say yes to everything

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...uthanasia.aspx

Don't forget the BLM mustangs.

Another group of unwanted horses.

30,000 of them on the federal dole.

But, that is a fair amount of federal contractors who get paid to take care of them and do head counts.

And, there are 6000 more than they can sustain on the range (33,000 and should be 27,000).

But, they are a bargain to let the feds take care of.

under 600/year per horse if you divide the projected budget of $37M by 63,000 horses.
    The mustangs, in theory at least, are all taken care of thanks to T. Boone Pickens' wife. She basically "adopted" them all and wants to build kind of like an "american west exhibit" out here using both federal lands and leasing unused private lands so that the mustangs can remain wild. She's also said she wants to use a form of "horse birth control" to keep herd size down. I was thrilled to read that a billionaire's wife is doing something awesome to help keep the mustangs out here.

The rest of you have great points... I didn't read the part about her shipping horses across the country to rescue them... that's really odd and really cost ineffective. Like kraslad said, no community bands together quite like the horse world. I hope there's a break somewhere!! I just wish there was more we all could do for our 4 legged beasties.