The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post

Wasn't Science Diet involved in that scandal a few months back when the dogs and cats were being poisoned with that melamine from China??? It struck me as odd when I heard that because Science Diet is supposed to be such high class feed (not!).
    Yes, and they also make the prescription diet petfoods as well. I cringe every time my vet recommends the prescription diet. I have had to tell her a couple of times that I refuse to feed my animals anything from Hills. I lost a beloved cat to the pet food recalll and I won't let that happen again!

I have switched all of my pets to Wellness, Old Mother Hubbard or any of the other natural pet foods. I don't have to worry about the things I can't make out on the back of the can/bag harming my family.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Actually, SD had zero dry dog foods affected with that. Nutro had several and their treats, and all manner of other companies did as well. Only reason I recall that so vividly was that I had been thinking about swapping to Nutro about that time. My friend's dog died from her contaminated Nutro treats.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I don't know where you are located but I've had good luck finding tripe in grocery stores that cater to hispanics or carry a variety of different ethnic foods.

I don't have any other good suggestions but I wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    Yes, and they also make the prescription diet petfoods as well. I cringe every time my vet recommends the prescription diet. I have had to tell her a couple of times that I refuse to feed my animals anything from Hills. I lost a beloved cat to the pet food recalll and I won't let that happen again!

I have switched all of my pets to Wellness, Old Mother Hubbard or any of the other natural pet foods. I don't have to worry about the things I can't make out on the back of the can/bag harming my family.
    Hill's VOLUNTARILY recalled their products because they contained rice meal in certain "and rice" formulas. Rice meal was one of the ingredients found to have melamine in it, but not in Hill's products. They did extensive testing and nothing in any Hill's product came back to have melamine in it.

And for what it's worth, dog and cat food is NOT subject to the same guidelines that human food is. So your "Natural" food is regulated, but your cat or dog's could be completely bogus and a label slapped on it as a marketing gimmick. Don't buy in.

Default Update....

You all are wonderful. I have not been on COTH for many days (Back and forth vet visits and so on) and you all have continued discussing this. Please do not think I have lost interest in what you have had to say. I want to get to each response but want to give update.

Katie's diarrhea had not cleared up and vet recommended getting appt with University as they do not have appropriate equipment at their small clinic. Vet is thinking it could be intestinal lymphoma which cannot be detected using x rays or ultrasound.
    Needless to say we got appt with University but before that I purchased a camcorder and have been following Katie's every move for the past week as she is still in good spirits and very active (hence why I have not been on COTH). Advice: Please do not wait till this time to video your "child". I have sooooooo many pics but no "live footage". So far have spent my days videoing, cooking for her and laying on the bed with her stroking her head. She has been "holding" the boiled chicken, rice and pumpkin a little longer than the I/D. I spoke with a holistic vet also and she mentioned rice water as well to help aid digestion.

Anyway, March 11th could not get here fast enough!

Had appt yesterday. They did ultrasound, full rectal examination, checked her kidneys (urinalysis) the whole nine yards. Everything checked out fine. They did say her liver is a little abnormal (a few rounded edges?) but nothing alarming. They are thinking the diarrhea and weight loss are not associated with the elevated liver counts. They are also looking at the again mentioned intestinal lymphoma (polops/lesions on and possibly in the intestinal walls).

At the end of the exams they gave me three options: (I hope I explain correctly)

#1 Treat with Panacur only to rule out possible parasite. I give Heartguard and switch out to avoid immunity but they want to be sure it is not something she just picked up or developed immunity to. Also, I get her checked every six months and this has never been an issue. If I chose to do this I would need to see an improvement real soon so if no change occured they could focus on possible lymphoma.

#2 Colinoscopy and aggresive meds (cannot remember names of meds). Doing this would show inside walls of intestine but if lesions were below surface only, the colinoscopy would not pick it up.

#3 Colinoscopy + surgery/biopsy. Open her up and get biopsy of intestine, colon and liver. Also do colonoscopy to look for lesions on intestinal wall (surface). If no cancer is detected then they can go back to Panacur option.

I chose option three and Katie went in for surgery at 1pm CST today. So far surgery went well and she is now getting the colinoscopy. They wiill be calling as soon as she is in recovery. No news is good news, right!

So I am now waiting......

While I wait I am going to go through each of your responses as you all took time to give me your thoughts and wisdom and much needed prayer.
    Last edited by scpezold; Mar. 12, 2009 at 11:36 PM.

Good luck! You did the same thing I would have done if it were my own pet. With lymphoma, the earlier you can detect it the better, and the prognosis really depends on which part of the intestinal tract it is in. Jingles for you and Katie!

Oh, waiting is so hard, I feel for you! I hope everything works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by scpezold View Post
    Advice: Please do not wait till this time to video your "child".
    So true. My only footage of my last dog is when she was ill, and while the video's one of those first-in-a-fire-things, it also breaks my heart to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by bambi_bandit View Post
    Hello scpezold,

I ran across your post as I have been googling Denamarin and your thread came up....

I odd that my 12 year old Siberian has had some similar issues... 3 weeks ago we brought her into the vet to ge full blood workup as she is a senior dog. We do this every 6-9 months to watch for signs of anything, as any slight change could be an indicator of something else in a senior dog...

Anyways, the bloodwork came back showing 2 slightly elevated liver enzymes. The doctor put her on denamarin and wanted her to come back 30 days later to see if the enzymes improved.

Also to mention is that when the bloodwork was done, Bandit had the runs for nearly 2 1/2 weeks straight. Just like you described with Katie...

Anyways, the vet didn't think the 2 were related and sent me on my merry way. being the AR personality that I am, especially on my "girl" bandit, I took her to a internist and oncologist who promptly did an ultrasound only to find a tumor on the liver.

It has been 2 weeks since the grapefruit sized tumor has been removed from my bandit. The unfortunate thing is that the histpath results came back and she still has cancer cells in her liver, which means that she still has cancer and it can come back at any time, or not, we just dont know. Chemo has little results against the type of cancer she has so we will have to make some hard decsions to see if we want to try that route or not...

Sorry I deviated - going back to the runs on your katie and my bandit, the oncologist was also able to diagnose correctly that in addtion to the liver tumor/cancer, she also had lymphoplasmacytic enteritis.

http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/Irri...welDisease.htm

They gave me some meds (sorry I dont have them here they are at home and I'm camping in my trailer) and it fixed it in a few days.

I will post the name of the meds when I get home on Monday, but I remeber googling the med and found it to be a lo grade carsanogin, but only with long term use...

Sorry I have no specific medicine name to give now, but I hope that you can persue the diagnosis that Bandit had and hope it helps Katie.

Also may want to get an ultrasound done to check if there is any growth on the liver causing the enzymes to rise on her too...

best of luck.

Kevin
    Kevin,
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I can so relate as it has been frustrating not being able to help her. I did not know (up until a week ago) some cancers in the intestine cannot be detected by ultrasound so was of course very concerned when they mentioned the intestinal lymphoma and went home and did tons of research. Of course the prognosis is not usually good as by the time you have "signs" it is usually in the advanced stages already. Something odd occured while talking to the University vet. My personal vet faxed over all of Katies records which go back to 2001 (I got her as a 3yo and immediately got her a full checkup). When student was giving verbal assessment of history to vet she mentioned Katie had a history of high liver counts. I thought she had heard me wrong and I told her that I was not aware of high liver counts until August of last year. She then told me that in 2001 and on her liver counts had always been a little high. I had never been informed of this until 2008. The vet then told me with that history she did not believe it would be liver cancer as there would be little chance Katie could have lived with it since 2001.
    I am so sorry to hear about your Bandit. I spoke with holistic vet last night who told me to promise if they opened Katie up and found her to have cancer and there was nothing they could do to not give up and have them sew her up and bring her to her. She said she has worked with many dogs with cancer and as long as there spirits are up and quality of life is still good there are things that can be done to make them more comfortable. So please don't give up. My girl is 11yo and until she is just miserable and life isn't worth living I will keep on. If she does start going downhill fast I will make sure to let her go early while she is still comfortable. Please keep me updated on how Bandit is doing and I will be praying for her as well as your family.

Quote Originally Posted by bambi_bandit View Post
    The meds that cured her runs is called Metronidazole, 250mg tablet every 12 hours for 10 days for her weight (~50 lbs).

As I mentioned before, the meds does have risk of side effects, but my Bandit did not seemed to be affected by it, possible due to the realtivly low dosage and short duration.

Google canine Metronidazole to get info if this a vet takes does indeed diagnose lymphoplasmacytic enteritis or other inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal system.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...le&btnG=Search

Good luck.

Kevin
    Sorry just saw where you found out about the meds. Katie was put on Metranitazole but it did nothing for her. However, I am not sure what mg it was as it does not say on bottle. I will look at the pills and see if it is labeled there. She was on it up until yesterday morning. I am so glad it worked for your Bandit though. My local vet also had her on Progesterone. We had her on it briefly to see if that would help but this was last resort as one of side effects is liver damamge. Of course it only worked to stimulate her appetite which she needed as she was virtually refusing food. Katie has always had a real sensitive stomach so she does not do to well with some meds. This is why she has been on i/d since I have had her. She would regurgitate everything else I tried.

I was googling canine colonoscopy earlier and found a lady with the almost the same story as both Katie and Bandit. Her dog started showing symptoms right after he got his teeth cleaned but the diarrhea did not go away. This dog also had elevated liver counts and was put on the Denamarin. Katie had gotten her teeth cleaned the day before she was put on the Denamarin. In the past she has gotten diarrhea for several days (even up to a week) after the anesthesia so initially I associated it with that.

Hey guys having problems with internet connection and keep having to write update over again. For some reason it will not let me copy/paste. bear with me as I might have to send tomorrow.

Default Update #2...again...

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Ok guys, right after I typed my great Update #2 I lose my internet connection [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Earlier, I was responding to Kevins heartfelt response and great information when i got the call about Katie. Of course I did not want to cut Kevins response short so I had to pause go feed, muck, etc and come back to give you the update.

Katie's colonoscopy went well (as well as a colonoscopy can go). They got a biopsy of liver, duodenam, jejunum and illium. They did mention they got 15 but I am not sure if they mean 15 of each area or 15 total. He said the intestinal walls looked good. They were a little red and irritated in some areas but not anything that alarmed him. They had her wrapped in warm blankets and when they started taking her off the anesthesia her temp came back up just like it was supposed to. She will be on fluids all night and spending the night in the unit "right before" ICU (would that be CCU?) She will have someone watching her 24/7 throughout the night but she is not "critical" enough where she needs to be in ICU. I hope that makes sense. They told me if all goes well tomorrow and she is feeling/doing better I will be able to see her tomorrow afternoon. I am bringing the camcorder to get some pictures (it can take photos). I feel awkward bringing it in during such a critical time but just know I will regret it if I don't. I am just estatic and can't wait to see her. Of course I will not know the results of the biopsies until latter part of next week due to weekend but right now I am just grateful nothing has yet to be detected. Thank you guys so much for your thoughts and prayers as well as wonderful advice. Katie and I are so grateful [/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    So true. My only footage of my last dog is when she was ill, and while the video's one of those first-in-a-fire-things, it also breaks my heart to watch it.
    You know, I had been talking with my husband for the past 6 months or more about getting a camcorder. I knew Katie was getting older and as I mentioned we have TONS of pictures of our dogs but we have no video. i was fortunate I had already gone in to "handle" camcorder several months prior as well as had done the research so I knew the one I wanted but had just not purchased yet. So glad I had done the research because the day I purchased was right after I picked her up from the vet and they told me it could be intestinal cancer. Poor guy at the camera shop did not know what to say/do. I'm sure he was glad I knew exactly what I wanted

I have video of my 3yo gelding right before I had to put him down this past summer. I borrowed someones camera. I am glad I got the video but still cannot bring myself to look at it yet. Even looking at his pictures are hard

Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    I don't know where you are located but I've had good luck finding tripe in grocery stores that cater to hispanics or carry a variety of different ethnic foods.

I don't have any other good suggestions but I wish you luck!
    Hey DTO I am located in Georgia. We do have some hispanic grocery stores so I will definitely give them a call. Thanks so much as I would not have thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Why has she been on I/D all her life? History of GI issues? That's typically not a food they need to be on all the time.

Did they check for pancreatitis? Kind of sounds like secondary hepatitis?

Really sounds like some chronic pancreatitis to me...but I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV.
    Hey BuddyRoo, yes she has been on I/D since I have had her. She could not keep other food I tried down and so she has always been on the dried i/d. Such a sensitive stomach poor thing. She does well on the i/d. They did check for pancreatitis and so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    I just wanted to offer jingles and support.

My Siberian has been battling liver problems since last week. I just posted about it last week (Jingles for my pup).

I would second the Denosyl and the Metro. That's what my vet put Nakita on last week and seems to be helping, along with IV fluids to get her rehydrated.

I would second the ultrasound. I was amazed at what you could see. The vet was excellent in walking through what we were seeing and what we should look for.

As for diet...I have become really fond of Wellness for all of my pets (cats and dogs). It's pricey, but not as much as the prescription. I had a cat with severe food allergies, and once we put him on Wellness, all of that cleared up and he now acts like a kitten! It's also a tasty food too.

Jingles for Katie...I know how scared you must be, and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Christina
    Christina, I am so sorry to hear about Nakita. I so know what you are going through and it is not fun. I would love to hear more about the Wellness and will do some research on it. I think after all this Katie will be ready for a change in food. At some point when she is better (thinking positive) I would like to try her on something else. it may have to be just as bland but at least it will be something different.

I know it has been a few days but please let me know how Nakita is doing. Many thoughts and prayers heading your way for both you and Nakita

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Scpezold--poppycock! Tripe is beef tongue and you can often get it at the supermarket in with the other disgusting things like chicken's feet, head cheese and pig stomach....

You might try the pumpkin for the loose stool though--just a couple teaspoons at a time:
    http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm
    Hey Cherry, I love the word poppycock and have not heard it used in years. It made me smile. I did start adding pumpkin to her meals and it did help some. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I hope your dog if feeling better soon
    I thought I would mention our lab has been on a special diet his whole life (Prescription Diet k/d). We recently switched to Medi-cal (Royal Canin) Low Protien and he seems to prefer it (although he will eat anything!), so maybe your dog would perk up a bit with a similar change. I know my other dog wouldnt even look at the Prescription Diet kibbles, they were always safe to leave in the bowl for the Lab, even when I'd throw my other dog a kibble as a 'treat', he'd just go hide it somewhere .

We've been working with my lab/catahoula cross for 2 years with liver problems - enzymes just a little elevated, on Denosyl, but with no diarrhea. His enzymes had been getting a little worse over the 2 year period, and I was just convinced that something was wrong, so we kept looking. He was finally diagnosed this fall with extensive lymphoma (spleen, liver, and lungs), and sent home with pain meds and a 2 month or so life expectancy. That was in November, and he's doing well, although with some decreased activity (he's 11, by the way). He had a biopsy of his liver which didn't show anything, but they finally were able to image the tumor on the second ultrasound. I wish that there was a simple blood test that they could do to say "oh, your dog has this type of cancer here and it's this advanced" but it's such a hunting expedition and so frustrating!

Best of luck for your baby - it sounds like you really have the best possible care!

scpezold-

Thanks for asking about Nakita!

She's doing better, but not out of the woods yet. She had a seizure on Monday when we took her back into the vet to have her catheter removed. My poor husband had to watch her seize. They kept her for the day for observation and she has been home all week. I think all the stress and being so very sick, just put her over the edge.

The vet seems to think that she came down with leptospirosis or ate something toxic in the yard. Her liver enzymes are back down to more normal levels and her bile acid test showed improvement. We are still waiting on the lepto titre, and should have that next week.

I have changed her food to Natural Balance and Wellness. We feed a dry and canned combination. With Huskies, more than any other breed of dog, you have to vary their diet or they just will refuse to eat. So we typically will keep their dry formula the same, then change the canned.

Depsite what others have said on this board about Science Diet--I lost a cat in the pet food recall to the canned formula of SD. He died a week before the recall was announced. We found cans of food in the cabinet and the vet had saved the can of food that we brought in when Toby first became ill. It was traced back to the food. I hope to never have to go through that again. My other two cats wouldn't touch the food, but Toby at it all and became violently ill the next morning.

We just recently switched to Nutro, however, I didn't remember them being part of the recall, so thanks to whoever brought that up. They have very smart marketing. Keeping a Nutro rep at your local Petco and Petsmart stores. I fell for it. The Husky duo really doesn't care for this food, so I'm just going to make it Wellness all the way around. We initially switched to Wellness because our cat was having intestinal issues on his other food that was linked to food allergies (you may want to have Katie checked for this if her other tests come back inconclusive). His stomach issues have completely resolved and his coat has never been more beautiful. He also has the energy of a kitten. So, yes, there is a difference and I see it everyday with all 3 of my cats. We had tried the prescription diet, and it didn't work with him.

I hope Katie continues to heal, and you find what's wrong with her.

Jingles, jingles, jingles for both you and her.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Default Katie is home!

Update #3
    Great news: I picked Katie up today. This morning she was doing wel and they told me if things continue to be positive she could go home as long as I picked her up late.
    Some not so great news: for some reason I totally missed hearing when the student called me last night to give update. When they opened her up they found a large mass on the left lateral lobe of the liver and a liver lobectomy was done. They said the rest of the liver was normal in appearance. Again they said intestinal wall was a little irritated but did not see other abnormalities. The vet is thinking if it is not cancer then it is probably IBD.

Right now I am just focused on cooking for her, taking care of her and reveling in the fact she is finally home!

Blkarab I am so sorry about the seizure. How awful and helpless your husband must have felt. So glad the liver counts have gone down. I hope if it is something toxic you are able to find it. How scary! Many prayers still heading your way.

thatmoody, I am so sorry for the prognosis of your guy. I had no idea some cancers were almost impossible to detect. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack! There has just got to be a better way. With the advanced technology we have you would think something for this would be invented by now. Lots of prayers for you all and your guy.