The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We've used pipe panels lined with plywood for temporary stalls for years. (Yeah, temporary for years) They work okay. We redid the permanent stalls with stall fronts and I like them much better.

At most of our events (horse trials) horses are stabled in rows of pipe panel stalls like those that Bank of Dad posted. Yes, sometimes there are problems but most are used to it. Usually don't have that nice stall door but use another panel as a front.

Nancy!

I have never used them but I have thought about it and I am worried the horses would get a leg (or whatever else!) caught in between the bars...

I don't know, I am just very nervous when it comes to safety and as we know, if there's a way...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Default YES, SAD TO SAY, I HAD A FATAL ACCIDENT

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I have never used them but I have thought about it and I am worried the horses would get a leg (or whatever else!) caught in between the bars...

I don't know, I am just very nervous when it comes to safety and as we know, if there's a way...
    I used the panels in a small paddock situation for a foal that had embilical hernia surgery. He was not allowed to run and had to be out in a small area...He caught his leg in the connecting area of 2 panels and fractured a leg. I was not there at the time, I was on a business trip and my poor housesitter found him at p.m. feeding time. She said he was fine when she got there and in the time it took for her to get back out to the pony barn, it happened...It must of been that he and his pony companion were playing around and the foal, Joey, made a mistake and reared up and came down on the section of the panel. I was distraught to say the least. I got rid of all the panels and would never use them again in that manner. I think if you used regular gates with plywood on the bottom a good portion of the way up, you will be fine. It is the way the panels are connected together that I have a big problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    ...He caught his leg in the connecting area of 2 panels and fractured a leg.
    Yes, I have heard of this happening with panels that are rounded at the top. It leaves a "V" that horses can get stuck in. My panels are square at the top and connect flush to one another. No room for a leg. So sorry this happened to your foal!
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Thanks Murphy's Mom. It was 3 yrs ago on Jan 5 that he died, and it is still very hard to think about it...

Sorry to hear of your tragic loss. I too would never use round pen panels for stalling. What if they roll and their leg/legs end up underneath into the next stall and that stall is occupied ? They could get hurt just trying to get traction to get up or hurt by the horse next door doing a tap dance. I did have to use panels once when i had an orphan foal, but fastened 2 foot plywood all around the bottom. I guess we all learn by our experiences and i would never use panels for stalls without adding solid protection on the bottom. For a full sized horse would plywood even be strong enough ? I just wouldnt do it.

Agreed. Around here it is common practice to use the panels as permanent stall walls. I even know of few brand new, beautiful barns that used metal rods as walls. I'm in Fl and yes, air circulation is very important but I've seen several horses hurt in these stalls. And you can't throw the bedding against the wall and let the poop balls roll out......I hate 'em. Maybe if you have a horse that doesn't ever paw, lay down or roll in his stall.......?
    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

We have a couple at my barn that are temporary... one for the mini, one for any pasture boarded horses that need to be in for a night, and one for the ginormous TB that's too big for the regular stalls. They're all kept separate so there are no issues with squabbling between stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    This is my big concern. My quarter horse kicks and my tb DOES NOT TAKE SUBTLE HINTS. I am hoping that if I do ever need to do this, I can make sure that my qh's food is far away. This is really the only big issue. The other concern I have is my tb gets his legs stuck in fences when rolling. Even when paddocks are huge, if the best place to roll is right near the fence (which they tend to be nice and deep there), he will find that place. Two separate staple emergencies later, I have become cautious. I guess I could always just nail a plank to the wall like someone else mentioned. Thanks!! I love this board.
    Wrap them with chicken wire. It will keep them from putting a hoof thru and getting caught.

I use those panels for stalls, and whatever else I need them for. LOVE MY PANELS.

Here in the hot humid South, air flow is essential for comfort, so Yes, I believe in using them. You can do a lot to stop air flow if you have to block a winter storm too.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Default yes but.......

I did not read the rest of the posts so I may be repeating what someone else has already said. I have used them but I put thick plywood 4x8 turned sideways on the inside of the panels so there would be airflow toward the top but the bottom 4 feet would be solid so they could not get cast and get their feet and legs caught in the panel rails. That would be a horrible wreck.

If you do use them, use the panels with squared ends that fit flush to each other, all the way down.

You can attach marine grade plywood for the bottom 2' or so for leg protection. This also helps to keep loose, on-the-floor feed tubs IN in the right stall LOL, a place to bank hay up against, etc.

I like the light and the airflow, and the ability to reconfigure the barn, remove stalls, etc.

What do you guys anchor the wood down to--the walls?

drill small holes above/below a tube in the panel....you could use U bolts and nip off the ends of the bolts.

Or drill holes through and slip heavy gauge wire through and twist it off and nip off/curl under, the ends. Done well and tucked up against the tubing, it's safe.