The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Identifying a Stubben

15 years ago I bought a Stubben from a local tack shop, and today I hauled it out of storage as I haven't used it in a while. It's an oldie, with the writing on the nail heads instead of the blue dot.
    Now......without me posting a pic, can anybody give me some tips on what model it is, or how old it is? I CAN read the serial number (ends in a D), but almost all of the gold lettering underneath has worn off. I can read Switzerland, but that's about it. I was once told is is a Siegfried, but am just curious to know if the person who told me is right.
    The seat has a curved cantle, thin white piping running from the nail heads to the back of the seat, and the tags say "Stubben Riding Equipment Stans NW". The knee rolls are a lighter suede, there are knee blocks in front, but none behind the thigh.
    Thanks!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Did you buy it new?
    15 years is not very old at all, especially for a Stubben.
    Mine is 35+ years old and still looks like a good, nicely broken in saddle, not old at all.

I would look thru places like:

http://www.saddlesource.com/usedsaddles.htm

There you can see pictures of all kinds and models and determine which one looks about like yours.

Without a picture, it is hard to say what yours may be, but generally, in adult regular jumping type saddles, the ones I remember with the lighter suede knee pads were Sigfrieds.
    The white piping is throwing me off, I don't remember who had some or not.

Oh, heck no! Fifteen is new in my books too! It was well used when I got it 15 years ago, but still has plenty of life in it - I just want to get it restuffed and give it a good conditioning.
    Thanks Bluey! It's like an easy chair to sit in, though I have heard the newer ones aren't as comfortable - any idea about that?
    Thanks!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

If it has the suede knee rolls, then it has to be a Siegfried. I don't think they made any other saddle except for the Rex with suede knee rolls back then. I am still kicking myself for selling my ancient Parzival VSS a few years ago. Why I did it, I have no idea.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

If you can read the serial number you could try emailing Stubben and asking. I did this with an old Passier a few years and they sent me back all the basic info (make/model, manufacer date, size etc.). Stubben might do the same thing.

Christa

There are lots of Siegfrieds on ebay, you could look at the pictures and compare.

I had an old one and sold it to buy a dressage saddle. While I love the dressage saddle I really regret selling my siegfried and I've recently been shopping around for a serviceable replacement.

If I recall correctly the billet guard on my saddle was quite large and the word siegfried was stamped into the leather. It was pretty worn but if I looked closely I could still see it. I don't remember if it was on both or only one side.

The piping,the round cantle and suede knee rolls makes me think it is a Siegfried. But without thigh blocks I doubt it. The serial number refers to the tree size. You can contact Stubben by e-mail and ask them. They are very helpful.

I just LOVE the Stubben Sigfried! And they do last forever

Many moons ago Courbette/Fels Bach also made saddles that were really close in design to the Seigfreid. The bolder white piping was mostly seen on the older Courbettes. If it has the Stubben nail heads and you can read some of the info, then yes, it should be a Stubben. If it has no rear thigh blocks, they may have been removed. That was a popular thing back in the late 70's early 80's to do. Contact Stubben USA and give them the serial numbers. It takes a little time since the info has to be sent overseas. At least you know it was a Swiss made model so they will already know which plant to check.

In the late 1960's and early 1970's, some Stubbens were made in Ireland, I have heard, but may not be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In the late 1960's and early 1970's, some Stubbens were made in Ireland, I have heard, but may not be so.
    That is correct.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have an older model, and emailed the number to Stubben, and they told me they couldn't look it up. You can email a picture to them, and they will try to ID it from the picture. The new ones, by the way, are very comfortable, more than the older ones, IMO. I also have a 8 year old Seigfried, which I love, and a new Lancelot HP, which is a dressage saddle, that I trail ride in, and love it, too!

If the serial number ends in "D," then it is most likely a medium-wide tree.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    That is correct.
    Stubben's made in Ireland? Wow, I never heard that from the 60's . Back then, I only knew of the German made, then the Swiss made. Many people thought the Swiss made were inferior to the German made. I don't know if that is true or not.

And to think, when I heard of an Irish made Siegfried, I thought it was a recent thing. Learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Stubben's made in Ireland? Wow, I never heard that from the 60's . Back then, I only knew of the German made, then the Swiss made. Many people thought the Swiss made were inferior to the German made. I don't know if that is true or not.

And to think, when I heard of an Irish made Siegfried, I thought it was a recent thing. Learn something new every day!

Clarification: I meant that Stubbens HAVE indeed been made in Ireland at some point - am not verifying the decade though!

kimiam Guest

Default Stubben Saddle

I also have bought a stubben saddle that only states on the tag stubben stans-nw. My saddle doesn't have suede knee rolls just a little padding longer flaps. I think maybe its a dressage saddle or a a/p. can anyone give me a idea of some names. It looks older. Also it looks like someone tried to have the seat died black or very dark brown the rest of the saddle is and nice brown

I've seen plenty of Siefrieds that had the knee rolls removed. If that means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    15 years ago I bought a Stubben from a local tack shop, and today I hauled it out of storage as I haven't used it in a while. It's an oldie, with the writing on the nail heads instead of the blue dot.
    Now......without me posting a pic, can anybody give me some tips on what model it is, or how old it is? I CAN read the serial number (ends in a D), but almost all of the gold lettering underneath has worn off. I can read Switzerland, but that's about it. I was once told is is a Siegfried, but am just curious to know if the person who told me is right.
    The seat has a curved cantle, thin white piping running from the nail heads to the back of the seat, and the tags say "Stubben Riding Equipment Stans NW". The knee rolls are a lighter suede, there are knee blocks in front, but none behind the thigh.
    Thanks!
    Dee

WOW, your saddle sounds exactly like the one I am trying to identify. Mine has a serial number that is 22711 and then under that 32 which is the tree size, but the gold lettering is totally rubbed off. Mine has the same piping, curved cantle, and gold stirrup bars. Ive been told that the stirrup bar color can tell you something about it. I have browsed some other websites and I cant find any that have the same suede patches. Mine go all the way up under the dee rings and under the stubben plate. All the other similar ones I have seen have the knee patches that curve back toward the front of the saddle.
    I am going to email stubben to see what they can tell me.

Email St├╝bben. They can tell you quite quickly.

From your description I'd guess you've got a Siegfried VSD (as opposed to a VSS).