The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Silly Things That Annoy You Around Horses And The Barn

I will start because this happens quite often to me and maybe it's because I'm short and or an idiot!

You go to throw a rug on a horse outside and it's a little breezy and as your throwing the rug up, you realize you are now standing on the bleeding thing and all you get is yourself wrapped up in the rug and the horse standing there looking at you with a look of "you moron". It happened to me again this evening which seems like the millionth time this winter and it just so annoyed me!

Anyway, anyone care to join in on a slow Saturday!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Carrying water buckets and sloshing it down your leg even when you're being REALLY REALLY careful not to.

Going to toss a fork load of manure into the wheelbarrow, catching it on the side of door and dumping it all over the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    Carrying water buckets and sloshing it down your leg even when you're being REALLY REALLY careful not to.
    When the temperature is 15 degrees and you're walking outside.

If only I hadn't done all of those this week alone. Or the barn door is open as you're picking a stall and it's particularly breezy, the muck cart is in the aisle and everything you dumped into it just blew down the aisle. Arghhh!

You go to throw a rug on a horse outside and it's a little breezy and as your throwing the rug up, you realize you are now standing on the bleeding thing and all you get is yourself wrapped up in the rug

Going to toss a fork load of manure into the wheelbarrow, catching it on the side of door and dumping it all over the aisle.
    All of these and:

When the wheelbarrow hits an unseen rut or rock and stops dead...but your shins don't and they slam into that metal cross bar!

Akin to hitting the edge of the barrow with the fork...scooping bedding and hitting a mat seam...and all poop balls jettison out of fork and smack into wall.

When the bottom of the gate freezes solid into the snow and I have to stand there and twang it back and forth hard as hell to get it free...and then having it come free and slam into me.

When I use the sled and a muck bucket to pick paddocks in the snow and seem to forget every time that the trip to the manure pile is DOWN hill and that the sled will pick up speed behind me, slam into the backs of my ankles and make me sit down hard in the crap-filled muck bucket...while I then slide at break-neck speed to the manure pile stuck in a run-away shitmobile.

Even more stupid...when I have selective memory and forget that I can NOT balance standing on the back of the poop-sled on the ride downhill to the manure pile. I forget this at least once every winter. Common result...me and sled part ways at Mach 2 at the height of the manure pile...the landing usually hurts.

Setting my glove's fingers on fire when I use the mini blow torch.
    (yes, I'm uncoordinated) Neighbors are used to seeing me run around with a flaming hand...or seeing me with my "home made" fingerless gloves.

Whenever my husband grabs the tractor keys and heads out of the house...I just grab the cell phone in case I need 911 and the tow chain and follow now.

When I sling a blanket over a horse and get clocked in the head by a strap buckle.

When I'm tightening a girth and my hands slide off and I punch myself in the face.
    (seriously...I'm REALLY uncoordinated)

When both horses think it's a hoot to toot in my face every time I walk behind them. Extra sucky for me since my nose and their gas-holes seem to the same exact height. At least when my late mare did that, she was tall enough to just part my hair or dry out my eyeballs.

When the two boys "help" me with barn chores. FYI...they're never much help.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

When the simple task of taking out the hose to water the indoor becomes an argument with an 150 foot long rubber serpant with a mind of it's own that likes to spit at you from various joints on it's body and then get a kink that you can't twist out and you drop it as the wter comes spewing out again of course all over you!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    When I use the sled and a muck bucket to pick paddocks in the snow and seem to forget every time that the trip to the manure pile is DOWN hill and that the sled will pick up speed behind me, slam into the backs of my ankles and make me sit down hard in the crap-filled muck bucket...while I then slide at break-neck speed to the manure pile stuck in a run-away shitmobile.
    OMGoodness... This visual image has me laughing all over!
    J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

When I'm tightening a girth and my hands slide off and I punch myself in the face. (seriously...I'm REALLY uncoordinated)
    Oh thank God - I'm not the only one who's done this!

My particular annoyance is when you're currying and brushing a shedding horse - a shedding WHITE horse is particularly annoying with this - with the big barn door open because it's a nice spring day, and all the hairs are shedding off - and blowing into your face. Even better if you have lip balm or something on. And of course wearing black.

I am also completely incapable of carrying a bucket of water ANYWHERE without spilling at least some of it down my leg.

Having a horse that likes to poop in their water bucket, taking said bucket out to empty,
    grabbing the bottom and handle and giving it a toss. Only your hand slips off the bottom, the bucket does a backward flip and empties down your front. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold, still a really unpleasant sensation!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Whenever I pull the stall door closed by the handle, only the handle pinches the soft skin between my thumb and my first finger as I shut it.... I do the same thing with crosstie snaps on a regular basis. blood blisters!

And I, too, have punched myself in the mouth when I lost grip while tightening a girth. Many times.

I can never seem to hold onto a curry comb... they flip out from under my hand, then of course bounce away....

Why do they all have to wait until you have just put away the fork and the muck bucket after cleaning stalls to take another dump?
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I am so glad to read this thread. I always feel like a big idiot at the barn, because I thought I was the only one who dropped the curry, stabbed the manure fork against a stall mat edge and sent crap flying, or punched themselves in the face tightening the girth. Now I know that although it looks like everyone else is graceful and knowledgeable, there are other people out there who have Moments. (:

And then by the time you finish your pants are completely frozen to your legs!
    lets see...
    Lifting up muck buckets onto the flatbed where your friend is emptying them, right above face level, and then poop and dirty shavings fall down onto you and down your shirt. No matter how many layers you have on.

When you go to clean the poop out of the paddock and its frozen to the ground.

When you get the squeaky wheelbarrow.

Body clipping in cold weather and all the hair gets embedded in your under armour and jeans.

PS. I'm so glad im not the only one to punch myself while tightening the girth lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paige777 View Post
    Whenever I pull the stall door closed by the handle, only the handle pinches the soft skin between my thumb and my first finger as I shut it.... I do the same thing with crosstie snaps on a regular basis. blood blisters!

And I, too, have punched myself in the mouth when I lost grip while tightening a girth. Many times.
    I knew there ought to be an advantage to be so short you are tightening cinches, even in ponies, above your head.

I don't like for a horse to paw impatiently at the gate when I am trying so hard to skate on 1" of ice from the house to the barn to feed.

Generally I break them of that by turning around and going back in the house and, when they finally look so surprised and stand there quietly, going back out, as many times as it takes.
    Generally, in a few times of doing that, the horses learn not to paw.

Can't do that gracefully in said sheet of ice, so have to put up with that.

Both those things peeve me to no end!

Forgetting you've got water running to the stock tank until it's too late and has flooded the paddock.

Getting ready to pour grain, but having set the bucket down just outside the fence (to do something else) just within reach of the naughty little pony who reached through the rails and dumped it all over the ground.

Trying to fasten a bungie cord, only to miss and have it pop back and get you. Ouch!

What a timely thread and it's so nice to know I'm not alone in my misery!

Done just 30 minutes ago - picked up the manure tub to dump in the manure spreader. Caught the stupid tub on the edge of the spreader, lost grip on it completely and dumped it all over my feet! Then had to rake the mess up and try it again !
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

All of these and:

Oh my.....that is MUCH worse than getting chased down a huge snowbank by a runaway toboggan loaded with 150 pounds of water!!! Please be advised you CANNOT outrun the toboggan and when loaded like that. it can gain a rather alarming speed. I got almost out of the way, and rolled down that drift almost as fast as the toboggan and water. No, no water was spilled - I use bottles with proper lids

What is really getting to me now is the unrelenting cold (-10°F, windchill drops that another 15°) and the endless snow and snow removal. I have drifts so hard they cannot be broken up even with repeated bashing with the front end-loader. I can see where one is going to make life really miserable if it ever warms up.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

All of these and:

When both horses think it's a hoot to toot in my face every time I walk behind them. Extra sucky for me since my nose and their gas-holes seem to the same exact height. At least when my late mare did that, she was tall enough to just part my hair or dry out my eyeballs.
    I swear mine watch over their shoulders til I get to just the right spot. And they seem to especially doing it when I am doing the leg straps on their blankets.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin