The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for boarding and/or working student option West of Atlanta

Hi all,
    I post on the Chronicle forums occasionally (mainly the eventing forum) but am an avid reader (sometimes I just don't feel that I have much to add!). Anyway, I know the power of the internet, and especially the power of connected internet horse people. I was hoping that by posting here, I could find some opportunities that have so far eluded me in my search for boarding opportunities, or even working student options.

The greater Atlanta area has some wonderful farms that offer boarding as well as internships, but sadly most are located on the north, east, and southern sides; the west side has a much limited selection. I do have an boarding opportunity secured further north of where I live, and I've also done a number of searches of what is available in my area which have turned up some boarding facilities that I do plan on contacting. However, first I have decided to see what I could dig up through some 'less conventional' methods (coughCOTHcough).

Working off board / Lower Cost Board Option: I am looking for an opportunity to work off board ideally closer to the west side in the Smyrna/Marietta/Kennesaw and surrounding areas. Private or a business, it doesn't matter. Mostly I am looking for a safe, secure, location that can accommodate a person starting a youngster.

Internship / Working Student Option: I would love to find an internship opportunity that allows for boarding. I have a background in h/j, but I am making the switch to eventing as well as dressage. After a lot of soul searching I have decided that I would really like to make a go at developing a foundation that will allow me to eventually work with horses professionally. If the right opportunity came along, I would leap at it. For such an opportunity, I would be willing to expand my area of travel either further north to the Alpharetta area or further west/south west.

Regardless of the option, I can provide a number of references from amateurs and equine professionals alike.

Currently, I don't own a horse, so I'm not in a huge rush. However, 2009 was my projected purchase year, and I do hope to have something lined up by this summer.

Please, if you know of a situation that might fit within in my (rather broad) parameters, feel free to respond to this post either via this thread, through PMs, or at run.jump.play @ gmail dot com. I've tried to keep this brief, and I worry that in doing so I limit the positive impression that I hope to make. Honestly though, I am a dedicated and hard working person who is serious about doing the best I can in whatever situation I find myself in. I'm near the 75/285 interchange, actually inside the 285 Perimeter.

ps: If you think I should post this, or cross post it, in another area.. please let me know.
    Last edited by BritNativePony; Mar. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

I don't live near Atlanta but I'll bump you up. You should bump yourself up Mon. morning, unless you get your answer before then. Weekdays are the best time to get answers.

Evalee Hunter - thanks so much! I was starting to wonder if perhaps I was inquiring about the impossible.. you've given me hope! I will bump from now on, and won't fee guilty about it
    Thank you for the tip about weekday posts!
    Last edited by BritNativePony; Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add info

Please forgive me if I'm recommending something that is too far. I'm not from the Atlanta area, and have no sense of distance. There is a place called Willobrook Equestrian Center in Villa Rica, GA. My cousin keeps her horse there and is currently the BM. I visited her about a year and a half ago, and it was about 40 min west of Atlanta on I-20. The trainer/owner, Leslie O'Neal Olsen is a USDF Silver Medalist, and the facility is very nice. The horses were all fat, happy and healthy looking (the most important thing IMHO).

I have no idea if they take working students. I know that my cousin had some kind of arrangement for working off board, but she's the BM and is basically there all the time. But, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're interested, PM me and I will give you the phone number. Tell them that Nicki, Karen's cousin sent you

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Staring the beginning of March, Andrea will be needing a new working student. Please contact for more information.

http://www.aleatherman-equestrian.com/

Thank you both, BlueEyedSorrel and Equibrit. PMs sent!

Please, if anyone else has any suggestions - don't hesitate to post!

Don't know where this is, but it was in Stablemates last week:

NOW HIRING Full / Part - time employee. Grooming, medicating, turn - out / in, blanketing, full care and maintenance. This position in trade for full board. Please forward resume' to info @ RisingFawnEquestrian. com or call Cindi Murch (404) 516-4248 GA (Ball Ground, GA - don't know how far you are looking to venture out)

Gahorse.com:

We are a small private hunter/jumper farm that specializes in welsh ponies, cross-bred ponies and hunter horses. We have 20 stalls and have no boarders. We have two horses or ponies in for training on a 90 day training schedule. We are looking for an individual who has a desire to learn in a relax atmosphere with people who are passionate about their animals. We are interested anyone who can work part-time and have possibly show if the riding talent is there. IF interested call us and we can discuss the schedule and the possible opportunities that we can offer. Come have fun with US. Located in Kingston, GA.
    Contact Hfeidemarie M. Gentryswift - 404-428-0564 or kingsworthfarms@yahoo.com
    (Kingston is near Cartersville off Ga 20)

Working student to work every sunday a very nice hunter show barn in exchange for riding lessons and opportunity to show. Nice friendly group. Nice horses. Must have experience. Located in Woodstock, GA.
    Contact Celeste Rivieccio - 678-480-2423 or trainerga@bellsouth.net (Perhaps you can work out board instead?)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Hydrophile, thanks for being so helpful! I keep an eagle eye on Stablemates, and have looked into Rising Fawn.. they are just too far away. I'm near the 75/285 interchange, actually inside the 285 Perimeter. I had forgotten about GAHorse.. those opportunities are too far away too (farther than my 'back up' facility), but I will keep an eye on the updated listings there.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions thus far. I'm newer to this forum, should I cross post this as well in some of the other active forums? Or is that frowned upon?

You could try Gigi Nutter at Touch N Go http://touchngofarm.com/. I do not know her but I've heard good things.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

Great suggestion!

...question for anyone willing to answer. This would be the first working student option I will be doing that I instigated. Is it in bad taste to approach BNTs and see if they are open the idea? What is the best way to go about doing such a thing?
    Last edited by BritNativePony; Mar. 2, 2009 at 05:46 PM.