The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funny story-There must be a full moon approaching! My SHOCKING revelations!

Okay... anyone had a REALLY weird week? I have. I have had a really weird week and a half! I will try to make it short... maybe this is a rant. But I want to know if it is just me... or has anyone else ended up with a ?WTF? face... constantly this week.

Last Sunday was the start of it all. Seemingly normal day.... gorgeous warm day in Middle TN. Oh but the hidden horrors that await o.O
    Half of the afternoon passed. Did chores about the farm. And traveled finally in town to my Bf's mothers house. We were all planning to be there for only a minute. Well my tiny 5-speed car with a sunroof sat pretty in their Garage. Mother of DBF comes to us as soon as we arrive asking for my rather tall BF to climb onto my precious car and set the dip switches for the Garage Door opener to the new remote. I of course insist.. I am smaller let me do it. I don't want the car messed up...
    So proceeding with stupidity I climb atop the car and begin the operation. Pulling the back plastic cover off of the motor , I begin to try and find the hidden board of switches. Which must be matched with the remote. In order for it to work.

Being the ultimately clumsy person I am. It was very possible indeed, I would take a wrong step.. flip off backwards.. and break something. Hence the reason Mother and Dear Friend were standing by arms up to protect me... from at least injuring what I have left of a mind.
    Stepping onto the very edge of the car, I can see it.. the glorious dip switches.. or was it me who was the dip. 15 minutes I spent working on the Darn thing. And for 15 minutes... friends stood by. As I stepped around to the edge I looked back at Dear Friend and commented. "keep an eye on me, catch me if I fall"
    As this was spoken dear Mother in law walks round. All the while my BF is in the neighbors yard playing with puppies.
    Proceeding to put her hands on my back. As stablilty I began to read off the numbers! Victory. So the score
    -Humans 1 - Garage door opener 0

Well this is the story... guessed by all. For the happening were ... a little confusing.

It is guessed that when I felt her hand, that I relaxed my nervousness of falling. And moved to adjust my grips. Halfway through the numbers, the task was so close to being finished. But as I moved my hand, it brushed so lightly across one of the bare circuit boards.
    That was the only thing we can guess.
    For it was the last thing I remember. Besides being pulled, rather yanked from the Opener.
    DC current is not a fun thing. Feeling however many volts surge through your body, and unable to let go is another. But what only lasted 10 seconds felt like years. And as the shocking started I was told I screamed. Me I do not remember this. I remember looking at my left hand, and as the yells behind me to let go of the thing were brushed away, it looked like my hand was being stretched like silly putty. Dear friend heard it instantly start shocking me. And told me to let go. And in another instant he realized I couldn't and started to pull me off. As did dear Mother in Law. I screamed twice I am told.. the first a excruciating wimpy scream... the result of the actual jolt. The second was a .. Holy Shi*t I just finished being electrocuted. MotherIL and friend yanked me from it. And the only thing terribly wrong at the moment... is that my hand... was indeed burned to smithereens.

The circuit board leaves a fine looking impression in human flesh while shocking.
    All in all... I am alive, I am safe, one entry one exit wound in the right hand. 2nd degree burns are no fun, and debreeding... Yuck.
    But... I am living none the less. Something which wouldn't have happened had people who loved me had not been there to help. Freak accident. For everyone has set a remote before. What tripped the circuit board, who knows... good lesson learned... unplug...unplug...unplug! But who knew.

So... yes this is horse related.
    My week has been.. yuck... because I am having to relearn or use my left hand. While I can do minor things with my right hand like write and tap keys on the keyboard. I can't turn on my truck, hold buckets, feed, water , or ride really any of my horses. Opening doors is a different story.. and this is killing little independant me!
    And the constant worry of the function now of my hand... how long. A week past this past sunday... and geeze... will it ever heal.
    I have been up to see my horses in over a week. But run the risk of hurting the hand worse... I can't.

But this isn't the worse. The past few days... I have had the most IRATE people come into the feed store I work at. One gentleman, whom came when I was off, but attacked Majmeadows my coworker. Insisted she sell him the best feed we had. And when she asked a simple question... " What do you do with your horse's" He snarkily replies... " I am a Horse Trainer" She replies... " Well what do you do with the horses you Train" He proceeds to storm out.
    Now... are we TN people crazy... or shouldn't we help, by trying to sell customers.. what is best for their horses. And not just sell them a irellivent product... just because he wants the best?
    Each of us has been through quite a bit of Nutritional training. And findiong out about the horses to be fed, is something that is needed. We are horse people to. We want something custom for our horses.
    Ten minutes later he calls asking for a Manager. She begins to tell him.. " He is gone for the Week" Which is true.. off on a trip.
    The Man was rude " You mean to tell me there is no one there higher then you" Maj laughs to herself and replies. " No... no there isn't really, but if you will hold on... I will get you .. someone else" She does.. and sends his call to one of our sweet lawnmower guys... who begins to ask the same questions.... " What do you do with your animals" So needless to say, we are a bad feed store... because we ask questions... to help find out what is best... nutritionally for customers horses.
    And since.. non-stop oddies have rolled in our doors. ANYONE FEEL OUR PAIN?
    My past weeks have been Whacky....how about yours.

One lady who was like the "horse trainer" but stayed to complain... and finally realized we were here to help.. not hurt. Left with good Dog food samples and has returned to Buy!
    And another lady whom... asked me every question in the book about her horses... then proceeded to shoot down every one of my answers.... Goodness don't ask me if you don't want my answer..

So... have fun reading... I like to laugh at myself.. hope you joined me. Tell me stories.. I need to laugh at someone else!
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

I freaked when I got to the part about burning your hand. OMG. Just glad you are okay (well, sort of).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I freaked when I got to the part about burning your hand. OMG. Just glad you are okay (well, sort of).
    Tell me about it.. I have a good stomach for nasty wounds... geeze I own horses. But when your own hand looks like hamburger meat with burned wax poured over it! yikes. I had to share!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Yes, it has been way out of whack since last monday......way...
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

this is nhr, but yeah, crazy week, when I have this one crazy woman calling my office over 5 times in the past week asking if the attorney does appeals. I said no the first time, no the second time, no......even referred her to someone else each time....well she calls again today and says her friend told her (which she told me the other 4 times) that the attorney does appeals. Again I insisted no and she asked for referrals...I said haven't I talked to you before and gave them to you, well yeah, but can you give me anyone else. OK, I am losing my patience here!!!! Give her the referral # and again have to insist we DON'T DO APPEALS!!

OK - HR - there is a boarder at our barn nobody likes..they have old, decrepit horse, are older than dirt themselves, and keep "stealing" shavings, among other annoying things. BM finally had it with them and said to get out by March. BM posted stall available at local store (not their stall btw), lol, she gets a call one day, it's them - they didn't even realize it was the same barn!!!

Oh yeah, and then the crazy loon who stormed into our barn area to yell at new girl that her horse scared hers on the trail and she should control her horse more and they might even try to get her horse "taken away"...

these past weeks...CUCKOO ...CUCKOO

Talking

I agree , must be something in the air. Or perhaps it is because we are horse people , we are prone to run into the whackies...... We are whacky! Oo who knows but I know it has been interesting!

Ouch! So sorry! For your entertainment while incapacitated (not that funny, but all I've got):

I had a friend get shocked by an fairly antique electric fan. She went to turn it on and when she woke up she was laying against the wall on the other side of the room. She wasn't right for a week or two, though the doctor found no specific injury.

And I once had a horrible evening with a TV at a neighbor's house where I was babysitting as a teen - it had something wrong that every time you went up to change channels, the knob would give you a shock - a little stronger than a big static shock from clothes. By the fifth time I wanted to change channels (we didn't have remotes back then) I was standing in front of the TV, trying to make myself touch the knob, and I just couldn't force myself to do it! I was so frustrated!

For some weird reason my cranky, grumpy oldest horse, who fusses about being touched & groomed, doesn't pay any attention when you take off her blanket and 20 static sparks jump all over her rump. Totally ignores it.

My younger mare, who is very placid and gentle and tolerates most anything touching her absolutely dances if she gets the same kind of static sparkle on her rump. She HATES it. And this is a horse who was once being stung by a bee and merely whirled her tail and walked in a little circle trying to dislodge it. Little itty bitty blankie static - she can't take it.

Get well soon!

Ouch! Glad you're OK!

Though not HR, I would agree that this week has been a piece of work. Everyone at work has been EXCEPTIONALLY snarky—mostly via email. Yesterday I came within a hair's breadth of launching into a chorus of "Take this job and shove it!" and walking out. But I do have to house and feed the girls, so I suppose discretion is the better part of valor...

See, I brought this post back to horse-ness, after all!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

*snork* Every time I hear it, it just gets funnier

And on the subject of Crazee Trainer Guy, eh, well, we get all kinds. Still can't figure out why his panties were in a wad. Must be because I work at a Purina store and not all my horses are barfoot, 2 have shoes!!! *sigh*
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

YIKES!
    Glad you survived your repair work! I HATE working with electricity.

DH was used to it. Working on a repair at my Dad's house he once tested an outlet with a screwdriver....that melted in his hand.
    "Yup" said Tom "That's the hot wire"

HR funny:
    My shoer turned me on to a flyspray that works like a charm and is cheaper than most. TSC carries it and when I was buying some I noticed a guy looking at Bronco.

Now my experience with Bronco is that when you stop spraying you can hear the flies laughing.

So I showed him what I was buying and suggested he try it.

If looks could have killed I would have been a goner.
    "Oh no" he says, dripping contempt "I have Thoroughbreds. Their skin is too fine for anything else. They cost $10K"

Bad news for my TB Vern...who at the high point in his life was listed at(and insured for) $45K.

I had to bite my lip to stop from telling this guy that horses worth 4X his seemed to tolerate this poison just fine.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Zook and MMM- ever figure out who the dude was? Sounds painfully familiar.

Dude. You are so lucky and I am so sorry.
    Seems like I spent much of my early twenties perfecting the art of firmly karate kicking musicians off of badly wired amps. It only takes *once* to learn that grabbing an electrocutee only doubles the problem. :O

Agreed. Biorhythms are way off the charts lately.
    Here's mine with a happy ending for the week (the other durm und strang cannot even be dwelt on...bleh-ick).
    Drag down to the barn at o'dark thirty so I can wear the AM feed hat before my east-coast conference call...(ah, time zoning--you've let me down again). There at the front of the aisle is a *swath* of strips and patches of grey barn cat fur all amix with copious amounts of pigeon feathers...
    Augh!! I love both Barn cat and Pigeon (both refugees that wandered in to stay). Barn cat is a bit lazier in his appointed rounds but beloved by horses and people (and dogs) alike. Pigeon has gotten fat, sassy and can be held and sit on your arm, etc. But, but, but....I call and call and coo and coo... Nothing.
    Here comes Mr. B Cat, fur mussed with a vicious peck under (not in thank god) his eye. He wants solace. He is perturbed. He needs reassurance. The horses need feeding. I need to move my @ss or be late for the job. SO will need coffee and it's my turn.
    There is demanding meowing. There is impatient neighing. There is the beep beep beep 'move yer @ss' reminder alarm. There is no cooing or fluttering.

Much like OP, I'm not exactly certain what happened next...but I believe my head may have spun around several times and then imploded.

The $%^&#%$ BARN CAT has EATEN the $%^#% PIGEON. Stupid Cat! Stupid Pigeon! Stupid me!

Day progresses under a haze of pigeon mourning. Boo Hoo. Sniffle. Melancholy. Remembering 'the good times'--the first tentative hand hop...the first swoop to the arm from the rafters...Oh, what a fine pigeon...never another like him. sniff. sob.

Hat-switch from corporate doxy to evening barn prep. I run into tweenster who inquires as to my haggard appearance. She harbors deep affection for pigeon too, so I muster my comforting calm demeanor and gently, quietly explain that;
    The $%^&#%$ BARN CAT has EATEN the $%^#% PIGEON....
    and that this makes me very sad...
    I get to be the catalyst for a marvelously executed WTF face on tweener (East German Judge gave it an 8.9)..."Uhh. Pigeon is fine. I just saw him out on the arena roof."
    blink.
    blink.
    Slow walk...Stare at remnants of fur and feather....Stare at tweener...narrow eyes.
    Walk toward arena...Make very mature and non-ridiculous coo-ing noises...

Pigeon makes grand entrance, struts about and generally displays his perfectly okay-ness.

I'm thrilled of course...!
    And yet, irrationally peeved at ALL of them.

I swear-- I will have survived two nasty riding accidents and various other misadventures only to be put in my early grave complete with snow white hair and worry lines from the sidebar antics of the critters around here. Some days I think they've read the will.

Sheesh. Well, as they say at my company...Thank God its Friday. Only two more working days 'til Monday. :P
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

My dad has always worked around electricity one way or the other. And he says that he has always preferred a two by four. Either you knock them off , or you knock some sense into them... either one!