The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips for an Auction Newbie? - UPDATE Post Auction

I usually work evenings, but I have Friday night off as a vacation day, and my BF suggested going to the local horse auction, as something "horsey" to do.

I've been to a tack auction but never actually been to a horse auction. This is a big one that's held once a month. I believe it covers the whole range from higher end, well-trained horses (probably 80% QH) to Poor Old Things. I'm not sure if a KB would be there directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few from there end up taking the long trip. However, I wouldn't expect that to be the majority. Should be lots of horses.

Any suggestions for auction going, particularly for your first auction and accompanied by the kind-to-animals but horse-clueless partner? (Education is in progress; he likes horses, but he knows next to nothing about them.) Can you go backstage and see them/interact with them before? Do they have them "sorted" into saddle horses, Poor Old Things, etc.? Anything you wish you had known before going to an auction?

And I WILL NOT buy a horse. So help me God. I'd just like to have a good evening seeing some and maybe a little further educating the BF.
    Last edited by dressagetraks; Feb. 28, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Update

Don't bring your trailer. Or your checkbook.

Sit on your hands. Bring tissues.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

We managed to buy 2 TB broodmares at an auction without a checkbook. DH found a friend there who was more than willing to fund a short term loan.

Going to a sale with no intention of buying just doesn't work if you happen to be afflicted with "horse disease"!

Sitting on your hands doesn't work either. Those cagey auctioneers can tell, by your eyes, or body language, or somehow, that you really do want to bid!

It's just plainly a high risk place to go. Some horse there is surely destined to belong to you.

But, it's OK because someone will offer to haul it home for you.

Good Luck.

As the trailer owner/driver I'd disagree, I'd say to BRING the trailer. Resistance is futile, and you'll only end up making two trips otherwise.

To answer the OP's ACTUAL question (!!), or one of them anyway -- yes, there should be stabling that you can wander through, sometimes there's a riding ring where folks are exercising/showing off the rideable horses too. Otherwise riding up and down the aisles, or leading the horse around with a toddler on his/her back to show how quiet (or drugged... or half dead) the horse is. There's usually a wide range, from the proud owners in front of a stall papered with the horse's achievements and ribbons, to the ones you really wish you hadn't seen because it will take weeks to get that image out of your head.

I hope you are correct about your auction being a bit more successful or higher-end but with the economy I bet that a lot of them are slipping. I find them very sad.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Some extremely nice horses can turn up at auctions.

Be aware that there are all sorts of deals going on in the barn. Many horses "no sale" at auctions, but are bought subsequently. So if you see a horse you like and that horse "no sales", go talk to the seller.

If there is an auction sales list available beforehand, go through it and identify some horses that interest you. Watch them at the auction and watch how they sell. It's a real learning experience.

I do love auctions for the sheer entertainment value, but really it's a great way to see lots of horses at once and refine your eye.

But you do have to sit on your hands!

I am forbidden to go to the auction ever, under any circumstances. I have nothing to offer
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

The good-
    Yes some very nice horses go through for amazing prices

The bad-
    Yes they do drug horses (bute, ace, rompun etc are very easy to come by)
    Traders are there to make money and they can spot inexperienced people coming. Take what they say with a grain of salt.
    Alot of the horses are there for a reason-lameness, behavior, conformation, age, ability, (becareful)

If you are interested in a horse, inspect it thoroughly.
    Sitting on your hands does not work. Not bringing a trailer simply requires another trip late at night. They take credit cards at most places now so no check book, no problem. By not getting a buyers number you can make it more difficult for yourself but the auction will help you around this if neccessary. In short there is not hope. If you continue to attend auctions you will bring animals home.

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    Sitting on your hands does not work. Not bringing a trailer simply requires another trip late at night. They take credit cards at most places now so no check book, no problem. By not getting a buyers number you can make it more difficult for yourself but the auction will help you around this if neccessary. In short there is not hope. If you continue to attend auctions you will bring animals home.

TRUE, true and more true . I have purchased four horses at auction, two I had picked out before hand and decided I had to have, one that I chose at the auction and one that somehow became mine even though I had no intention of buying another horse (I had just no saled mine a hour or so earlier). Unless you have an iron will, it is downright impossible not to come home with something.
    And the feeling you get when you enter into a bidding war . The spotters and auctioneer are experts at whipping you up into a frenzy of bidding and you just keep going and going, even when your friend that you brought along to rein you in tells you that you have reached your limit . I still remember the price going up by $100 over and over again and the auctioneer commenting that it was like a tennis match. But, I have no regrets because I adore my horse and he has turned out awesome.

You can oftentimes try the horse out before the auction so you can get an idea of how it rides. You can also get blood drawn and a vetting done pre-auction (this is at the upper end auctions- I am not sure about the other ones). Oh, and at some auctions you don't need a bidder's number, you just raise your hand, or nod your head, or widen your eyes, or blink, and you can bid. There was one time that I swear my hand went up all by itself and I was somewhat shocked when I heard the gavel tap and "SOLD" and they were pointing at me!

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I am forbidden to go to the auction ever, under any circumstances. I have nothing to offer

*SNORK*

(ever?)
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

All I have to say is good luck on not buying anything. Right now the horse market it so bad that many horses at auctions especially at a place that runs an auction every month, are going to sell very CHEAP!

I would just recommend not getting a number if you really don't want to add another horse to your household.

I love the excitement of auctions and I have purchased a horse from an auction, but now I steer clear of them as I know there are many many good deals out there and I am sure I would bring another horse home, which I have the space for but not the time for.

Default Oh Good LUCK!

..haha - you will not be successful in resisting, even if you DO NOT bring your checkbook, credit card, cash OR a trailer. Even if you wear handcuffs. Or duct tape. A horse auction, even the higher-end ones.. are tough to witness without compassion! I even got a horse from the auction that I didn't even ATTEND! A FRIEND brings me home a horse that I didn't even SEE! ("a registered Morab! ..with dressage training!...so cute!!!...being bid on by kill buyer!") So - good luck!

I too am no longer allowed to go.

I still sneak over occasionally anyway. I have someone else come with to restrain me, and leave any sort of identification/method of payment far away at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    *SNORK*

(ever?)
    yes...ever.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I do not have the self-restraint to go to an auction. I know this about myself, so I must stay home as the only method of preventing the inevitable.
    Proud member of the EDRF

This is like going to the local shelter with no intention of bringing home a puppy or kitty - just doesn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I do not have the self-restraint to go to an auction. I know this about myself, so I must stay home as the only method of preventing the inevitable.
    Same here. Sad to say but my hubby would be worse, and he doesn't even ride!

Don't go! At my 1st ever auction I bought my 1st ever horse. He's a good boy, but I really should have waited until my finances were better.

Bring your trailer, credit card, and a lot of kleenex.

I have several wonderful horses who came from auctions. Sound or lame, they have all given me great joy and were so thankful for a break...