The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter Classic Attire for a Children's Hunter (Horse) Rider?

What would/do you wear for a Children's Hunter (Horse) Hunter Classic at a "local" 'A' show? Not talking WEF, HITS, etc. but a nice local area 'A' show. Would you feel out of place if you did NOT wear a shadbelly? Would you feel overdressed if you did?

Also, with regard to the shadbelly, does anyone know where to find instructions for tying the stock tie?!

Navy coat, classic colored breeches and a white ratcatcher with my horse turned out to the 10's.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Navy coat, classic colored breeches and a white ratcatcher with my horse turned out to the 10's.
    NOT being sarcastic - What if that outfit is what you already show in anyway?

In my opinion, that's why most of us buy that exact outfit to start with. It is classic and always acceptable so if you can't afford the shad etc you don't have to. I have 5 coats but love my navy one best of all...it matches almost anything and is always appropriate.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

You RARELY see a shadbelly for a children's hunter classic at our A shows...and if you do, it looks sort of out of place. We tend to reserve them more finals, etc. If you plan to have one anyway, bring it, but to me changing from your attire that you wore in the division to wearing a shadbelly, stock tie, etc. is a little over the top for a single class classic that is next is probably unnecessary.
    Bottom line: ride in whatever you feel best in! If you want to take advantage of an opportunity to wear a shadbelly, go for it! I would imagine that most others, however, will not.

I only see shadbellies at the big A shows, not the local ones. When I do classics at local As (I did them as a children and now as an adult) I would just wear whatever jacket I wore to show in the regular division.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

There are a lot of shadbellies worn in the children's hunter classics in the north east. It is perfectly appropriate to wear a dark coat and white shirt in the classics as well.

You can google how to tie a stock tie and find some good results with diagrams.

A lot of kids in the locals around here might put on a pair of white breeches to dress up a bit. You rarely see a Children's in tails. I wouldn't wear a light colored coat in a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    NOT being sarcastic - What if that outfit is what you already show in anyway?
    Then thank your lucky stars you don't have to shell out more cash!

If the primary concern is your clothes being too-dirty by Sunday, go pick up a extra shirt and an extra pair of breeches or two for Thurs/Fri/Sat. Don't waste the money on a shadbelly. They look silly and out of place on juniors anyway. An older junior (16/17 years old) in the Jr. Hunters can sometimes pull it off without looking too tacky, but really - the classic look is appropriate for everything and all you really need.

As far as your jacket, someone at the show-office should be able to point you at a one-hour drycleaning place. If they don't have any information, call one of the hotels in the area that attracts business-type clients.

I have NEVER seen a shadbelly at WEF in the childrens hunters. EVER. Maybe during WCHR week where they have the big classic, but even then very very few.

I did a few years of WEF, HITS Ocala, VT etc in the hunters and still don't own a shad. I do however own a lovely black coat, white breeches (for my jumper classics, which are usually on the same day!) and a lot of boot polish! That and a clean horse is all you need.

Thanks, always wondered how this was supposed to be done.

http://www.saddleshop.com/extras/stocktie.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    A lot of kids in the locals around here might put on a pair of white breeches to dress up a bit. You rarely see a Children's in tails. I wouldn't wear a light colored coat in a classic.
    Women shouldn't wear white breeches in the Hunters in the first place - it's not traditional or correct.

Red face

Hmmmm- that's funny about no shadbellies being worn in the childrens classics at WEF. I know they are definately wearing them in Ocala this year and in Vermont last year.

Perhaps WEF is starting a new trend?

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Hmmmm- that's funny about no shadbellies being worn in the childrens classics at WEF. I know they are definately wearing them in Ocala this year and in Vermont last year.

Perhaps WEF is starting a new trend?
    Yup, seen a few in VT and a few in Ocala, but never at WEF. But you never see shads on anyone at wef.

Where I live (Northeast) some people even wear their shadbellies in the classic round at the B-rateds over the summer (in the children's hunters). Not everyone does this, of course, but enough that you wouldn't look ridiculous. My best recommendation is to have a shadbelly if you can afford to buy more show clothes (especially if you eventually plan on doing the bigger shows/finals) and see what everyone else is doing on each particular day.

depends entirely on where you live ! do you live in the middle of nowhere, where there arent a ton of shows? or do you live in a very competitive state/zone? i live in NJ (zone 2---the most competitive zone) and i feel entirely out of place and underdressed if im not wearing a shad in the classic at ANY A show, including the local A's---which still draw big crowds. but, if you go somewhere else, where maybe the shows are not as frequent, as serious, or as large, then you will see less people wearing their shad. my rule is, if it's an A show, then i will wear the shad. but, mind you, this is because so is everyone else (and i love wearing my shad) and i used to be the only one (when i didnt hae a shad) that wasnt wearing one. anywho, where do you live? pay attention to what the riders in your classes are wearing, and see how many of them change into the shad for the classic.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

The only place's I've seen shadbellies worn is HITS, Vermont, Fairfield, Ox Ridge, etc. so only large A shows would I wear a shadbelly

Quote Originally Posted by heartinrye View Post
    Yup, seen a few in VT and a few in Ocala, but never at WEF. But you never see shads on anyone at wef.
    I don't like to be contrary but I was at WEF about 3 years ago and I remember children/adult riders wearing shads in the classics. I thought I was confused so I checked one of the photographer's websites with photos from 2008 and sure enough, about half the adult/childrens hunter classic entries were wearing shads. The rest were wearing dark, conservatively colored jackets and looked very nice.

Anne Gittens photographer. Weeks 6 and 11 posted online.
    Last edited by Addison; Feb. 27, 2009 at 09:06 AM.

I wouldn't wear the shad - it is technically inappropriate for children to wear shadbellies whatsoever.

Another vote for a navy coat with a light shirt.

Unless it was a BIGBIG show/final, I wouldn't wear a shad in a 3' class.