The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    hAlterBred Guest

Default Horse hit by another boarder

My horse was hit in the face by another boarder at a large boarding stable where I keep him. I witnessed it but was too aghasted to say anything at the time. This person appears to have a vendetta against me, but my horse should not have to pay.

What options do I have? I have contacted BO and BM. Can I get a restraining order for my horse?

At the very least she should be asked to leave the barn.

You can decide on whether or not to get the law involved.

That is awful! Makes you wonder if it has happened before--perhaps when you weren't there. Good that you told the BO/BM. Now what are they planning to do about it??

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterBred View Post
    Can I get a restraining order for my horse?
    You have got to be kidding...
    A statement like that sounds like a schoolgirl catfight in the making.

What exactly were the circumstances of the incident?
    Your horse quietly MYOB when she smacked him?
    Your horse putting his head into her space & she reacted?
    More details please before we form a posse.

If it were me I'd approach the smacker and ask for her version before I ran tattling to BO or BM - the last thing they need is to get stuck in the middle of Barn Drama.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Did the horse do anything?

Not that it would make hitting someone else's horse OK, necessarily, but I'm having trouble imagining someone walking up to a horse and randomly and without cause hitting it.

I guess I'm curious if there's another side to the story here... what makes you think this person has a "vendetta" against you in the first place?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

What was the reason for smacking the horse?

I boarded at a place that did not have bars in the stalls and the horses had a very easy time reaching over the stalls. We had one NASTY SOB who would try to bite everytime someone walked by.

One day I was walking by (the aisle was not wide) and he came after me. Yeah, I gave him a good whack in the muzzle. It was either defend myself or get bit.

I vote TROLLLLLLL....

Look at her #of posts.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    You have got to be kidding...
    A statement like that sounds like a schoolgirl catfight in the making.

What exactly were the circumstances of the incident?
    Your horse quietly MYOB when she smacked him?
    Your horse putting his head into her space & she reacted?
    More details please before we form a posse.

If it were me I'd approach the smacker and ask for her version before I ran tattling to BO or BM - the last thing they need is to get stuck in the middle of Barn Drama.
    echo-- half the time a horse is hit is becuase it has bad manners like biting and lunging over the door which is and more often than not food related as in owner giving it to much for work warranted and size and weight of the neddy or just plain namby pamby coo coo type

so people shout scream chase or hit the horse as they walk by or turn out bring

lack of training -- not the horses fault but bad manners comes from those that let them and then all it does is cuase the horse more grief and get him shy un catchable and alot of slaps etc or buckets thrown at them lead ropes whatever

What if anything did your horse do? If he didn't try to nip her, she shouldn't be hitting him in the head. And even then she should have punched him in the mouth/on the nose.
    What happened, since you saw it happen?

I tell BOs and boarders that my uh shall we say ill-tempered big WB is to be switched anywhere but around the eyes and ears for misbehaving. Other boarders tell people not to touch their horses, but I saw the BO at a previous barn beat not only her horses in the head with lead ropes and whips, but also boarder's horses.

And yes, you can probably get a restraining order to prevent the other boarder from touching your horse or any other property.

You should have spoken up right then, and if your horse was not doing anything wrong you should have reported it to the BO right then. Was he pushing past her at the gate? Refusing to move away from her horse while she was bringing hers in? Still no reason to hit him in the face.

More facts please.

If he was minding his own business and she just walked up and smacked him, thats one thing.

But if he walked up to her and nipped at her or pushed his head into her etc, then that's another story.

If my gelding ever bit someone or rubbed his head onto someone, then that's the reaction I'd expect from them. *Note*- I wouldn't agree that it's ok to actively beat the horse, but a good bop in the face isn't going to kill him.
    Last edited by Milocalwinnings; Feb. 26, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Wow, way to stand up for yourself/your helpless horse.

Although I'm inclined to think that the horse wasn't helpless and more being naughty and deserved the smack.

You should have said something at the time of the incident.

If my horse is being a putz, then I expect someone to smack him if I'm not there to administer it.

But if you witnessed it and then slunk off without saying anything, what makes you think the BO/BM are going to want to be in the middle of it?

Time to put on your big girl panties and talk to the person.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I vote TROLLLLLLL....

Look at her #of posts.
    Excuse me, but her handle is quit obvious an ALTER, do you not see that very word within her handle?

Give the gal a break and at least listen to what she has to say before you cast a stone.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterBred View Post
    My horse was hit in the face by another boarder at a large boarding stable where I keep him. I witnessed it but was too aghasted to say anything at the time. This person appears to have a vendetta against me, but my horse should not have to pay.

What options do I have? I have contacted BO and BM. Can I get a restraining order for my horse?
    What I don't understand is how on earth you can stand there and watch some ignorant person abuse your horse.

Did you horse stick his nose into that person's space? Did he nip at her for a treat (do you hand feed)? And after you found your tongue, why on earth did you not approach this person before taking it to the BO/BM?

I honestly have to say, if I witnessed someone abuse my horse and I saw no forseeable reason, I'd have flown off the handle!! But I don't tolerate animal abuse.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Did the horse do anything?

Not that it would make hitting someone else's horse OK, necessarily, but I'm having trouble imagining someone walking up to a horse and randomly and without cause hitting it.
    If someone else's horse nipped or bit me you can be quite sure there would be a hefty smack coming it's way from me! Like you though, I am struggling to believe that someone just walked up to a horse, minding it's own business, and whacked it on the head, especially while the owner was there.

If the other person walked up to your horse and hit them for no reason at all, then you need to talk to that person. Why do you think they have it out for you? Did you see the person and your horse right before the incident, to see if the horse did anything leading up to the smack?

If your horse did something to provoke it, you, or whoever the horse bit/kicked/whatever, needs to reprimand the horse. A smack is warranted in that case. I have a nippy-natured horse, he gets smacked. It's not beating him, it's not being abusive, I'm not angry or out of control when I discipline him, it's how he understands if he does x then y will happen.

If you have a problem with someone reprimanding your horse if the horse does something wrong, then tell them.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

If the horse didn't do anything wrong, I would have smacked her back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Latisha View Post
    If the horse didn't do anything wrong, I would have smacked her back!!
    That's called assault. If this person has a "vendetta" against the OP, then she could have called the police and had a valid case against her. I know you're probably kidding, but I've seen things like this happen.

In a situation like this, I would have found the BO, marched her over to the woman and had her discuss why this woman had hit OP's horse in the face. BO is the one to lay down the "law" about appropriate behavior concerning other people's horses.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

What did the horse do? I used to have a horse two stalls down that would charge teeth bared at you-didn't matter if you were riding or leading a horse. By yourself was fine. usually you make motions and raise your voice-one day I wasn't paying attention and rode by and the horse came charging too close and I smacked him. That is different-I was protecting myself.

You say the fellow boarder has a vendetta against you? If so , that signs more like a psycho/stalker type who is hurting your horse on purpose?

If someone hit my horse and it was doing nothing I would have a fit and the person would understand completely what would happen if it ever happened again and it wouldn't be pretty. You don't mess with my animals or my kids.
    If the horse tried to bite or did some other rude thing then oh well.
    I would not run for the bo you should have handled this yourself right then but since you didn't you need to now. Don't understand why you needed an alter for this post either. Who cares if everyone knows you don't want your horse hit.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.