The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anybody used 'Rescue Remedy' before?

Has anybody on here used Rescue Remedy before? http://www.rescueremedy.com

I got it the other year, because I was having big panic attacks at shows, and it was supposed to help me relax. It did bugger all.

I did what it said on the box. I tried more of it, I tried less of it, and still, nothing worked.

Just wondering if it works for you, and how much do you have/ how do you take it?

It also says I can give it to my horse, but only says 4 drops. Would this be adequate for Taffy, or would I have to give him more?

I tried it on my terrier last fall when the yellow jackets invaded. She's terrified of them since she has been stung. I don't know, maybe it worked. She seemed a bit calmer. Or
    maybe she's getting used to them.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I've used Rescue Remedy before showing.

I love it. Seriously. Maybe it's placebo effect, but it's really changed me (for the better).

Quote Originally Posted by mandalea View Post
    It did bugger all.
    That was my experience, too.
    --o0o--

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabeth View Post
    That was my experience, too.
    Good. Now I know I'm not the only one this stuff does nothing for

Ok, so it's not really good, but at least I can prove it's not for everybody.

My friend has to have half the dose, otherwise she'll just about fall asleep!

Tried it and loved it. Gave it to my horse and loved it. again, may be the placebo effect, but at this rate, I'll try anything to not panic in the show ring. And, well, anything with brandy...
    But seriously, at the last horse show I did rescue remedy plus 15 minutes of breathing exercises before I even started warming my horse up (you know, in through the nose, out through the mouth). Definitely helped slow things down.

I believe it is just about one shot of brandy with a few worthless tinctures such as toe of newt and eye of frog added. The brandy is hardly enough to do squat. Add me to the "it did bugger all" group.

I love Rescue- I don't ingest it though. Was taught to use it by putting 3-4 drops in the palm of each hand, loosely rubbing palms together and taking 3 deep breaths, inhaling the scent.

Maybe placebo effect who knows- I am sure taking deep breaths doesn't hurt if you're needing the Rescue in the first place, but it's nice! Try it that way & see if you get any relief.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

I've used it on both my horse and myself...Love the stuff !!

I also use several of the other products with good results.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by mandalea View Post
    Has anybody on here used Rescue Remedy before? http://www.rescueremedy.com

I got it the other year, because I was having big panic attacks at shows, and it was supposed to help me relax. It did bugger all.

I did what it said on the box. I tried more of it, I tried less of it, and still, nothing worked.

Just wondering if it works for you, and how much do you have/ how do you take it?

It also says I can give it to my horse, but only says 4 drops. Would this be adequate for Taffy, or would I have to give him more?

It's homeopathic. It's just water. That's why it doesn't work. Geesh.

We got some for our dog who is very fearful - didn't seem to help her at all!!!

We gave it to one of our other dogs just to see if it did anything for him - he seemed happier - We joked that he looked drunk from all of the alcohol in it - but he is my calm happy dog anyway.

It is still up in my cupboard - probably expired. I don't think it really did anything.

We ended up changing her diet and doing a lot of positive reinforcement desensitization with her. That seemed to help more.

ETA: I did some research on flower essences once and it seemed like you were supposed to test to see which flower essences worked for your body chemistry and what problems you were having - so I think there could be something to the flower essences idea - It just seems like the actual Rescue Remedy isn't a "one size fits all" like they suggest.
    Last edited by Qtina; Feb. 26, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: addition

I bought it for my show dog and did nothing for her. I tried it for my PMS and it really worked to take the "edge off", but it was very mild. (My secretary would remind me to take it when I got really B*****y during the month. ) It works more to balance you than relieve major panic attacks or show nerves...

It is not just water... Homeopathics DO work.

Take it or leave it - it worked for me when I was bitten by a dog and I am usually a skeptic.

I have used it for my horse with excellent results. Then again, I have used it for myself with not much noticeable change. But, I always keep it on hand as when it does work, it is amazingly helpful.
    Flower Essences work by vibrations. There is no need to use more than recommended, as the vibrations will be the same if you use 4 drops or 40 drops.

I have used it for years and so have my horses. It works great for us.

My horse is herd boss. He lives out 24/7 except in extreme ice storms and when the temps go below 15*F.

He used to be stall bound and would run the fence to get back to the barn. Of course, he'd stall walk frantically once in the barn but taking him back to the field didn't work either.

He has a very short fuse/high anxiety. I've had him for 15 years and have dealt with it the best I could. Well, 5 years ago when we moved to the 24/7 turnout farm I thought for sure he wouldn't be able to stay there. Now I can't get him to stay in the barn long enough to eat his meals and he's in a panic to get back to the field-once there he's at total peace!

Great! Problem solved. Expect in those rare circumstances when he needs to stay in the barn. I was so worried about him this year, as it's worse than ever, so I came here for suggestions. I had tried other calmers etc and short of sedating him I had run out of options.

CoTHers suggested RR. I bought some, tried it and VOILA! Much, much, much calmer pony! Does he still walk circles? Yeah. But he's not doing it at the speed of light, knocking his head on the walls as he spins etc. He's not screaming in a panic anymore. He's just "fidgety". He's still plenty alert and still worried about his herd but he's much safer, he eats his food now etc. I can't make him calmer by "believing in the power" so I can't say it's the placebo effect but who knows! It works for him and that makes me happy.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

put me in the 'did bugger all' category too. i don't think it made a difference at all, to me, or to the horse.

just my personal experience, of course.

Default Rescue remedy worked!

I used Rescue Remedy and a specific formula, Rock Rose, for the blind horse I ride. He would spin in his stall to the point of sweat. Nothing worked,only tranqulizer. Could not do that to him all the time. Soo, gave the rescue Remedy a skeptical go. It worked! Used 4-5 drops on his flaxseed wafer every 15 mins. or so to begin with. Behavior extinguished within half hour or so. I keep both bottles in the barn now as rainstorms are triggers too. I rarely need to use it anymore,he will stand quietly in stall ,head tipped,listening,no spinning! It was a miracle for us .

Quote Originally Posted by li'l bit View Post
    I have used it for my horse with excellent results. Then again, I have used it for myself with not much noticeable change. But, I always keep it on hand as when it does work, it is amazingly helpful.
    Flower Essences work by vibrations. There is no need to use more than recommended, as the vibrations will be the same if you use 4 drops or 40 drops.

Can you please explain how it vibrates?

I'm in the did no good category. Neither for me nor my horse.