The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Granted and Gepetto's Mom Guest

Default Wanted Dressage Trainer w/ Excellent Marketing Ability ( IL.,WI., MI., IN.,OH)

I currently have a gelding that I purchased as a sale prospect.He is a 7 yr old premium Oldenburg. My problem is this... His movement is so HUGE that only 10% of the dressage riding population are going to be able to ride him and he is ultra sensitive. I live in the sticks and have had many people come to try him only to find out that most perspective buyers severely exagerate their riding capabilities. I need to find a trainer with a large cllientelle base of advanced riders who has the ability to train and market this horse to his full potential. When I say FEI...I MEAN FEI!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you could be a little more specific about where you are, someone might be able to suggest someone in your area. Do you want to get the horse trained for a while or just get it sold? Do you want the horse to be trained right at your barn or do you want to send it out to any barn in any of the five states listed? There are tons of strong trainers in the five state area you mentioned.

Granted and Gepetto's Mom Guest

I am on the Wisconsin / Illinois border. I would like to send him to a training barn for 2-3 months for a heavy duty tuneup. Do to an illness in my family and the severe cold he has been off work for about 5 months. I am currently fitting him back up again in hopes that I can find a capable trainer. In the past I have not had good luck sending horses off the property. I do not mind paying for an excellent trainer but what I do mind is when one of their lower level working students does all the training for full training price Anyone have a great trainer they can recommend?

The Barteaus (sp?) come to mind...
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Charlotte Bayley in Cleveland, OH area. Website is http://www.csbdressage.net

Best of luck!
    "I have puppies instead of children. I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life."

I am on the Wisconsin / Illinois border.

--Why don't you send the horse to Julie Julian or Sarah Michael, or Jerry Schwartz, or....really, there are so many really good people near you that I can't even begin to list all of them.

I would like to send him to a training barn for 2-3 months for a heavy duty tuneup. ...he has been off work for about 5 months...I am currently fitting him back up again...

--Are you selling him or keeping him? If you want to sell him you could just send him to a dealer's barn. If you want to keep the horse and train him your choice of who to send him to might be very different.

--Probably best to get him fit before sending him to the trainer or you would just be paying for the trainer to exercise the horse and get him ready for training.

In the past I have not had good luck sending horses off the property.

--So you want to send him to a training barn for 2 or 3 months, but after that, you want someone to come to your barn and ride him?

I do not mind paying for an excellent trainer but what I do mind is when one of their lower level working students does all the training for full training price

--Yeah, I worked with one of those, lots of very expensive horses giving lots of up down lessons and bringing in both training and lesson revenue, how clever. But not all trainers do that, only dishonest ones do that without telling the owner and making appropriate arrangements.

-- On the other hand, most good trainers have excellent assistants who ride their horses when they are away from their farm. If a trainer is any good, s/he's showing, giving clinics, or judging at least a couple weekends a month, unless s/he is quite unusual. Many trainers also go to Europe periodically to buy horses, leave their farm to work with their own trainer, etc.

--With most training arrangements, I would ask the trainer what is done when s/he is out of town or away from the farm, and in most cases, I would expect and plan for having the trainer's assitants ride the horse occasionally. I'd watch how they ride, and be sure I liked them as well as the trainer him or herself.

--Assistant trainers can work out very well, and can keep the costs of training lower because the assistant does some of the training and some of the exercising, or simply because they make it possible for the trainer to get more done in a day. I'd at least expect if the trainer was an organized and well paid one that s/he'd have assistants at least part of the time longe, hack or exercise the horses.

I would recommand Carole Grant (http://www.equistrideinternational.com/) If you really want somebody for selling and/or training a top, top quality horse then then that would be the place and the trainer. She has a lot of experience with young horses and their program is just awesome. She has a lot of connection all over the US and can sell 'expensive' horses.

Danny does a good job, but I don't think she has the same network as Carole and the same level of training. She is a very good local trainer and Carole Grant is a International trainer.

The prices at the 2 places is not in the same range and so does the service you get.
    Last edited by mademoiselle; Feb. 26, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Christopher Taylor is outside Chicago.
    www.sporthorseinternational.com
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Ditto tempichange- the Barteaus. THey know top quality horses.

http://www.kybdressage.com/

Exclamation Talent and Personality!

Laurie Moore in Grand Rapids, MI!!!! She is phenomenal. www.timberlanefarm.com. They are in the process of redesigning their website, but if you click on the 2008 summer schedule, you can get to her contact info.

www.foxdalefarm.us

There is a husband wife team in North Florida. He is an advanced level event rider who has trained several horses that went on to the Olympics with other riders. She is a very correct and classical dressage rider. They have a good client base and can get the horse out to be seen. Their names are Dean Graham and Megan Fischer-Graham. 386-935-3421

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    I am on the Wisconsin / Illinois border.

--Why don't you send the horse to Julie Julian
    OT, but SLC, do you know Julie ? She gave me my first dressage lessons in GR MI in the early 80's. She was amazingly talented and so good with the horses, even the unruely young stallions. How is she doing these days ?

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Barteaus at KYB.

Default Excellent Marketing Ability

always the catch isn't it!

Friend to horses Guest

Did you find a trainer?

I don't know Julie Julian that well but have seen her ride, teach. She just seems to do an excellent job. I have seen horses she trained and she does a very good job.

I am also located in your area. Depending on your budget and long and short term goals, the above posts with KYB, JJ, Jerry etc. I can't speak to the marketing aspect of it however here are some additional options that have excellant training results and may be closer to you:

Patti Becker
    Fireside Farms-Camp Lake WI

Amanda Johnson
    Silverwood Farm-Camp Lake WI
    Kelly Stable-Zion, IL

Orrie Decastor (sp?)
    Silverwood Farm-Camp Lake WI

Brit Santi
    Fields and Fences-Gurnee, IL
    Kelly Stable-Zion, IL
    Bridlewood-Lake Geneva, WI
    Silverwood Farm-Camp Lake, WI

Further afield,
    but Roel Theunissen, Adam Lastowka and Sandy Osborn
    at After the Fox farm in Georgia are all great riders/trainers.

Dot

jeanine Guest

go to www.buntehorses.com

Marjo van de Bunte is a very good trainer

I have said his name a bunch of times on different threads, but Ryan Yap is Phenomenal! I have known him for many years, and seen him work with all different types of horses. He is very calm, and rides with finess. His website is under construction but is will be www.ryanyapdressage.com. Ryan is based in Chicago, but heads to FL in the winter. A great person to market your horse!

If you want to come see him in action he will be at Legacy USA in Burr Ridge, IL this Sunday starting at 8:00am. http://www.legacyusastables.com/main.html?src=#5,0