The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ariat's customer service is still P-Poor.

Anyone have the phoine number or email address of the CEO?
    Wasn't Ariat originally a division of NIKE started by actual riders? Are they still involved or did they sell out and jump ship?

My story...

I bought a couple of pair of Ariat all around breeches at a booth at equine affair. Before they ever got worn my greenwing macaw found them and nipped off the buttons (actually sort of a cap on a hook and eye thing above the zipper.)

In any case I got nowhere with their customer (no) service.
    Few people do from what I have read in a former thread from two years ago.

From their reaction you would have though I was asking for the mold to the button caps to manufacture counterfit breeches en masse. (This happened to a jacket of my husband (same bird - different garment) and that manufacturers reaction was to ship out an entire set of snaps for it berfore the end of the day they arrived the next week)

The second person I spoke to at Ariat (Lori something) said that she would call me right back. Four hours later *I* called her back and she said that she had just gotten an email from trhe aparal department and that it would take two to four weeks to get a button!!!

I asked why it would take so long and was told that they were made in China.

Avoid purchasing from them until they stand behind their product.

Ariat goods have become no better than costume quality while still being sold at a professional equipment price. Plus they will not stand behind their product if you have the smallest problem. (Mine was smaller than a dime in fact.)

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...stomer+service

Your parrot ripped a grommet off the boot, you called Ariat, they agreed to send you a replacement grommet but it'll take them a few weeks to get it to you because the shoes are manufactured overseas and there aren't spare grommets sitting around for replacement. What's so outrageous about that?!

It's not as though the boot was defective, your very strong pet inflicted damage on the boot. Yes, it stinks that you have to wait-- but I don't see how that's really Ariat's fault. They don't expect people's PARROTS to rip off pieces of their shoes?! I can't see a grommet just falling off without some serious force being applied. A destructive parrot ripping at a shoe is hardly typical, I don't think most manufacturers of shoes (equine or otherwise) parrot-test them or expect their products to have to withstand the desctructive force of animals. if your dog chewed up your boots, that wouldn't make your boots defective. It's unfortunate destruction by an animal. Boots are made to withstand normal WEAR, not all destructive forces on earth!

FYI, I don't even think those grommet things (if that's what you're referring to) at the very top of the boots are an Ariat-specific product. Those grommets are what are on ice skates. I bet if you call a large sewing store near you (like JoAnn Fabrics) and describe the grommets-- they have them in stock and you can go get them.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Breeches. If the jacket manufacturer has them in stock why wouldn't Ariat? Plus I don't think If I called Pikure or TS I would have gotten the same poor customer service.

It is not just me gatting a bad attitude from cust. serv. From looking up the other thread. I have gone through multiple pairs of A. boots but I was blaming myself not the poor quality of the goods.

Dur, I clearly can't read. I don't know why I thought you said boots (I think the Nike comment had me thinking footwear).

Oh, then for SURE you can get that little hook and eye clasp thing from the top of breeches at a fabric store. They are less than $1. If you go to any decent fabric store and look in the aisle where the buttons are, you'll see those clasps and lots of others. You can easily replace the clasp or get a different/better one.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Breeches.
    same difference, but i agree with vxf111. they're doing their best to help you out, it isn't Arat's fault your bird has a penchant for destroying your clothes. how can they help the fact that it takes a long time to ship in replacement buttons from china?! i wouldn't say by any means that they don't 'stand behind their product.'

Default vxf111

but if it's that simple to get a replacement then why are they telling her to wait 3-4 weeks rather than just sending her one?
    i kind of see both sides here. ariat feels that this is not product failure therefore, they don't have to rush to appease the customer. but on the other hand, seems so easy to make a customer happy...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Because Ariat isn't a fabric store! Fabric stores have buttons and thread and all kinds of goodies all over the US, including in the OP's neighbordhood.

Ariat, not being a fabric store, and not manufacturing products in the US-- doesn't have buttons and threads and goodies in the US. They have finished breeches in the US and buttons and findings in China, where they do the manufacturing.

They are getting the OP the missing clasp-- even though ithe clasp being ripped off was totally outside their control. I don't understand why they should be expected to do more. It's easy to make a customer happy if you HAVE what they WANT in the US ready to ship. Do you think someone from Ariat should go out on their lunch break today and shop at Joanne Fabrics for a clasp for the OP, and ship it to her-- because the OP didn't keep her parrot away from her clothing? That's really something you think Ariat ought to have to do?
    ~Veronica

Original Poster

I will go down to the fabric store for replacements Right now in fact.
    It's not a hard thing to repair. If Ariat does not want to help the customer they why do they even give the contact number on the card that the breeches come with (The parrot didn't touch the card BTW).
    The breeches are over 100$ a pair and they can't even attempt to treat the customer with a bit of respect?

True they are not a fabric store but do you think that I am the only person with their product that needs a replacement part? It is not like I am not willing to pay for the part either.

How would you feel if you called up Oster for replacement blades and were told to buy a new clipper?

I agree with Marta. Sure, Ariat sells "whole" ready-made items, but they, like all good companies, should stand behind and SUPPORT the items they sell. That means having spare parts (in this case, buttons or whatever it was on the breeches) on hand.

We're not talking Wal-Mart here; we're talking a company that sells high-end equestrian merchandise under their own name. As such, it only makes sense (business and otherwise) that they wouldn't want to alienate and probably lose a customer over something as minor as not having a button in stock to ship immediately.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

***duplicate, ooopps!***
    ~Veronica

Ariat DID agree to replace the missing latch, they just told the OP she had to wait a bit.

For the record, and it's interesting that you mention Oster-- I have called Oster for a replacement part. That damn little rotating square with a hole that goes under the blade. I lose one every darn year.

They told me they had one, I could said about 2 weeks and they'd ship it to me. Or else they could give me the number of a local store that had replacement pieces and I could go buy it there. Which is what I did.

I didn't come on here and bemoan Oster's service. I didn't expect them to overnight me the piece. I just went ahead and replaced it. Sometimes, in normal use, little pieces can fall off (especially when you're being careless, as I was).

And losing a part on a clipper with lots of moving pieces is a bit more common, I would expect, than a PARROT ripping off a latch from a pair of breeches.
    ~Veronica

FWIW, I bought a pair of Ariat field boots in December, and because it's been so cold I only got to ride in them once to break them in (besides wearing them around the house. My winter breeches are too thick, and the boots are for showing in). We got a nice day a couple weeks ago, so I jumped at the chance to ride in them again, and what do you know, the damn zipper busted 30 seconds after I got them on. I was PISSED!! But, I contacted Ariat, and they sent me a packet to send them in to get repaired at no cost. They were quick and easy about it, so I have no complaints about this service, although I am still preturbed that they broke so soon in the first place. But, I can't afford custom boots, and the Monacos are the closest I am going to get to an off the rack boot that's custom-like quality for a non-custom price (I have tried on other similar brands and none have fit like Ariats).

All of my breeches are Ariat, and I've had no problems. I have also been extemely happy with all my other Ariat products (paddock boots, half chaps, show shirt, belt, gear bags).

vxf, maybe she should take them to Dover and have them replace them for free?

Sounds like a plan. I am sure Dover is lurking on this thread, salivating and hoping that the OP will do just that!
    ~Veronica

I feel the need to respond...I'm with VFX111, I'm sure Ariat doesn't have a lot of the clasps laying around in the US, in all the years I've been riding I've never broken or lost one, and feel its probably not a common event to have someone's parrot ripping it off, so it isn't exactly the type of repair part they keep on hand. The fact is they are probably doing it as fast as possible it has to come from oversea's.....you are probably lucky it isn't coming by container and take 6 or more weeks.

Celeritas' part is what I'm assuming a common malfunction in the product so I would assume that they keep those on hand in the US and that is why it was so fast for them to send her one!!

I know Ariats customer service hasn't always been top notch, but I feel Ariat is doing the best they can in this particular situation!

I wore my new-to-me Monacos for the first time 2 weeks ago. The first time I tried to put them on, the zipper broke (and yes they are the right size). I have been trying to call them for 2 weeks to get them repaired, have left 4 voicemails, and have yet to hear from them. As far as I'm concerned Ariat's customer service is crap, and I'm never buying another product from them.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I am sure Dover is lurking on this thread, salivating and hoping that the OP will do just that!
    But she needs to mention that she purchased the product overseas for a huge discount in order for them to change their return policy...

I can understand why they said 4-6 weeks to get a clasp. They probably asked for it to be sent with an incoming shipment of that particular breech. I SERIOUSLY doubt they were going to pay their supplier a $30 shipping charge from China to send ONE clasp, which they could then mail to you at their expense. That is not a frequently missing part (unlike jacket buttons) and I am not surprised they didn't happen to have one lying around.

Seems like this one was a little out of their hands, and I don't understand the frustration.

Original Poster

Well. Jo Anne the fabric store doesn't carry any suitable button/clasp cover that will work.

This just makes Ariats lack of customer concern that much more pleasant.

SInce they didn't call me back and still have not even 'asked' me for my address they have never had any intention of following through with actually sending it. The X number of weeks to wait was their lovely way of telling me to take a flying leap.

You went there and came back in the last 7 minutes?

You're talking about the little inside clip that slides into a latch/clasp, right? I am going to look for you. I think the key to finding this is knowing it's "proper name." Same thing with the Oster part. I had a dickens of a time explaining myself until I found out the missing part was a "slab block" and then everyone knew exactly what I needed.
    ~Veronica