The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EPSM/PSSM Has anyone used Purina Amplify for fat?

Purina Amplify supplement - an extruded nugget - has 30% fat. Can this be used to treat EPSM horses instead of oil?

Does anyone use Amplify?

I have a friend that's trying to work out a diet without using corn or veggie oil.

Suggestions welcome.

I've tried to use it; my mare wouldn't touch it.

For an oil substitute that's 99.9% pure fat, go with Cool Calories -- It's a prilled/dry fat.

http://www.shanestack.com/shop/index...-flypage-19254
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    For an oil substitute that's 99.9% pure fat, go with Cool Calories -- It's a prilled/dry fat.

http://www.shanestack.com/shop/index...-flypage-19254
    And it's pretty palatable. And cheap. And smells WONDERFUL (like Pixi Stix ). Oh, and it WORKS!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Are you looking for a "complete" grain or just a fat supplement? Omegatin (Blue Seal/Kent) is a complete product and recommended for EPSM. I don't know if Amplify is the same? Amplify has higher fat content, but again not sure if it can be used as a complete grain or just a top dressing.

Friend feeds Amplify and loves it and I really like Omegatin. Neither of our horses are EPSM.

FYI, I tried cool cals on a TB and wasn't really impressed, but each horse is different...just my experience!

I've never been that impressed with Omegatin in regards to results. There are a few horses at the barn on it and nothing that impressive has happened. It's expensive here too. I took my TB off of it. But all horses are different.

I have however, been very impressed with amplify.

Someone at my barn feeds Blue Seal Carb guard to her appy that they suspected had EPSM. But that's a grain not a supplement.

I'm not completely immersed or knowledgeable about the EPSM diets other than high fat/ oil with lo carbs are the most beneficial. And, of course - proper supplementation of Vit E and Selenium as needed for each individual.

I also have read that most vegetable oils are over processed ... so I'm trying to find out what else can be used.

I'm using it on a 2000 lb, 17'3 perch gelding with EPSM. It is VERY expensive compared to using oil. However, he eats it well. Around here, 50 lbs is 50 bucks! Using oil poured over soaked beet pulp is a much cheaper plan.

jane

Quote Originally Posted by #1Gunner View Post
    I'm using it on a 2000 lb, 17'3 perch gelding with EPSM. It is VERY expensive compared to using oil. However, he eats it well. Around here, 50 lbs is 50 bucks! Using oil poured over soaked beet pulp is a much cheaper plan.

jane
    Holy Crap... $50 for Amplify? Where are you getting it from?

you're using no-molasses BP? Shreds or pellets?

Country Corner in Almont. Yes, it's expensive. Depending on the size of the horse, mine is 2000 lbs and he needs to eat two cups of oil twice a day or with the percentage of fat in this product, two lbs of Amplify......Big jug of oil from Costco is 20 bucks....five gallons for 20 bucks....

Yes, plain shreded beet pulp. One lb dry weight, pour the two cups of oil on top of it, add four cups of hot water. Let stand at least two hours and it is all absorbed into the beet pulp. Much less messy.
    Pellets don't absorb the oil so it just runs off...

jane

Thanks! I'll pass that along to my friend. This is a 1000 pound paint. Was malnourished and underweight when she got him... no telling what he got in the past. He's been under her care for almost 6 months now and improving ...

I've used Amplify on a couple of horses, currently on one that lost a lot of weight nursing a foal. She was really ribby. I've been top dressing her normal grain with Amplify and she is looking great...and doesn't make her "hotter."
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

I feed amplify to my 21 year old. He usually loses weight every winter. In the past I've fed oil on his grain. This year I fed amplify instead. He held his weight very well and we did not have any problems with palatability which I've had with oil. Barn owner likes the amplify better than oil also.