The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: On average the price for your 2008 foal compared to previous years;

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • I got what I normally get for my foals

33 40.24%
  • I did not sell

32 39.02%
  • I got 1-2k less then what I normally get

7 8.54%
  • I got 3-5k less then what I normally get

3 3.66%
  • I got more then what I normally get

8 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What did your 2008 foals actually sell for?

I am curious what people actually sold their 2008 foals for. The market is not very good, we all know that, however I think it would be beneficial to get an idea as to what you can actually get for a foal so as to price accordingly this year.

Of course the mare the difference in a lot of the pricing. Say if you have a foal that you normally would sell for 12k, did it go for 12k in 2008? If not how much did you let it go for? Or did you even sell? Do you have a lot of interest or has it slowed down a lot?
    Horse Management Apps for iPhone and Android!
    http://www.rendaivu.com
    Capital Warmbloods
    http://www.capitalwarmbloods.com

We sold all of our 2008 foals for their asking price, which was on par to what the foals sold for in 2007. Some were for more money and some where for less. But all in the same ballpark.

I've been getting interest in the 2009 foals already. That interest is starting to ramp up now that spring is in the air.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Default Going... going... GONE!

We sold 2 weanlings and 2 yearlings (bundle package) last year for $1500. Almost 7k less then the asking price for all 4 combined, but in these times we need less mouths to feed and any profit is better than no profit.
    Head em out, Move em up, RAWHIDE!!!

I think the poll should be stated in terms of percentages - X % more (or less) than the prior year, etc., because there is a big difference between selling at 2K off a 15K asking price and 2K off of a 4K asking price.

Do you mean $1500 each, or for all 4?
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Quote Originally Posted by sniplover View Post
    Do you mean $1500 each, or for all 4?
    I was wondering the same thing - along with a huge GULP...
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

It's still a gulp. We'd be far in the red if we sold foals for $1500 each...
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Quote Originally Posted by sniplover View Post
    It's still a gulp. We'd be far in the red if we sold foals for $1500 each...
    Yeah, I figure it costs me almost that much just to feed the mare for the year! Ouch, how many breeders will hang in through this current economic crunch? How many boarding facilities, how many trainers, how many tack stores... I better stop thinking about it
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

It was $1500 for ALL 4. Given our horses aren't million dollar TB crosses, 2 were reg. paints and 2 were registered QH.
    Head em out, Move em up, RAWHIDE!!!

Default tempting

i have thought long and hard about breeding more of the cross i have, which people seem to just drool over. but i am only willing to breed one more if i have a buyer already for it.. dont want to bring more into the world when everything in the economy is just so stinking scary. but it is always so tempting to get just one more when they turn out so nice and i love babies..

Default 'o8 foal prices

I guess that I was pretty lucky and was able to sell my '08 Santano/Roemer colt at 2 months for $12K

I still have my fugly '08's here and I have been trying to "justify" selling them for less than I am asking and it is just killing me! I had a conversation about this yesterday....

I bought a filly in 1996 for $10,000-how do I sell horses I bred 12 years later for less when EVERYTHING I put into them/dams cost much more? I know I have to do it but it just kills me when I look at the economics, especially since these are the best foals I have ever bred.

<deleted>
    Last edited by Moderator 2; Feb. 27, 2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: off topic

<deleted>

There is still good money around and people still buy horses. Maybe not as fast as they were but I know some breeders who have sold all their in-utero of this years. Ok I am from Canada and we did not get hit as much as you did but I have more request right now than I had before and mostly from the state... and I don't advertise much and I keep my price.

We have to keep our spirit up and work harder than before or we better quit now. But we have to be patient.
    Last edited by Moderator 2; Feb. 27, 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: off topic
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

I have two on the way in the next month that I am really excited about. They will be for sale but I have B and C contingency plans to keep them if I can't get a fair price for them. They are Stedinger x Hohenstein and Rousseau x Sandro Hit, out of really good mares, and assuming they are anything like I expect them to be I cannot justify essentially giving them away. I have too much time and money invested in my program to do that. I have had a number of inquiries from people I believe would provide ideal homes, but until a deal closes I am not counting on anything this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    Maybe not as fast as they were but I know some breeders who have sold all their in-utero of this years.

That is all fine and great, but for what prices did these sell? I've seen ads from 3000 up to 12k for intuero purchases.
    Its easy to come on a BB and make the general statement you've sold out, But, for what price??? I am sure many people on here could sell inuteros all day long for 3-4k from their good mares. Just most won't do that.

I know of quite a few that aren't selling at 3-4K and from good mares.

Okay, I don't see a lot of people saying the actual $$$ amount that they sold their foals for and whether it was asking price or not. So I'll bite and throw my numbers out if it will help anyone; I don't think pricing/selling has to be so hush-hush.

I had 5 foals last year; my biggest year to date. One was a filly that I kept for myself. One sold in-utero for 9k (asking price), one sold for 7500 in utero (asking price) and one sold for 7k in utero (asking price). The remaining foal that was/is for sale I still have and that is fine, too.
    I only have two foals coming this year, one has not been offered for sale yet and the other has been. I have had a few inquiries on the in-utero, but no takers yet. I actually don't expect to when people are so scared to spend money, which is why I always plan on keeping them until they are at least going under saddle.

So, there are some hard numbers for you...
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I don't know of anyone who has sold anything since last summer and that one sold under saddle for medium low 5 figures- though for the bloodlines (olympic sire and well bred dam) I thought it was very low.

I know of one foal that there was serious interest - nice filly, black with 4 high whites & a blaze, but the potential buyer wanted a monthly payment plan.

I have one colt born last year that I'm thinking of selling but haven't gone there yet. I breed for myself but have two homebreds to campaign now, a 2008 homebred filly that I want to keep and don't think I can handle much more for a while. But I haven't decided to sell him yet.

I sold one for a good price a month ago. I had two sold (vet checks done and contracts in hand), but one buyer's husband lost his job a day later and the other one lost most of the value of her 401K. Both asked to be released, and I did so.

At present I have serious inquiries on all of my 08s and on my 07 filly and several in uteros. I am just as comfortable keeping them until under saddle though.

A breeder with whom I work very closely sold all her 08s that she really wanted to sell. They varied in quality, so the prices varied, but I know she got what she asked for them - and they were good, but fair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by tri View Post
    I don't know of anyone who has sold anything since last summer and that one sold under saddle for medium low 5 figures- though for the bloodlines (olympic sire and well bred dam) I thought it was very low.
    I have sold 4 horses since October...all for my asking price, except the stallion prospect who was in an auction and he went for more than what we were hoping.
    1 weanling in the US
    1 broodmare in Germany that was imported
    1 3 year old stallion prospect in Germany, staying there
    1 yearling in Germany that is being imported this month

People are still buying.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/