The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well Ventilated Stalls.... wire mesh?

Hopefully this summer we will be putting permanent stalls in our barn, finally! I have been using just metal corral panels, not ideal I know, but they've done the job. The one thing I really do like about them though, is I can see the entire horse all the time, and of course good ventilation is no problem, they catch any breeze available.
    I had already decided on doors that are wire mesh of some type (such as expanded metal or something), but what about stall fronts? Has anyone seen virtually open stall fronts to the floor? I know I have to have some walls inbetween stalls for kicking, but after googling around all I find is mesh doors, no entirely open mesh type fronts. Any ideas, pro or con?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I used the 4' walk through pipe gates for my stall doors and cattle panels above the 2x8s for the walls (2x8s about 4' high and panels the rest of the way up)
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I used the 4' walk through pipe gates for my stall doors and cattle panels above the 2x8s for the walls (2x8s about 4' high and panels the rest of the way up)
    Cattle panels would terrify me - big enough for a horse to get a leg through when kicking & completely unforgiving.

You can definitely get heavy mesh stall fronts. Not sure where but I have seen stalls made that way. I'll try to look & see if I can find where.

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.freybrothersinc.com/Horse_Equip.html

Very popular in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    Cattle panels would terrify me - big enough for a horse to get a leg through when kicking & completely unforgiving.

You can definitely get heavy mesh stall fronts. Not sure where but I have seen stalls made that way. I'll try to look & see if I can find where.
    Like I said in my original post I HAVE 2x8's for the walls from the ground up to almost my chest (I'm 5'6) and the panels the rest of the way up. What kind of idiot would use cattle panels for horses near the ground? Jesus.
    Unless they're in there practicing for the Spanish Riding School and working on their caprioles it's not a problem
    I used 4' walk through pipe gates for the doors.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

www.lucasequine.com , click on portfolio, custom design & then panel stalls. They have the mesh fronts you're looking for. They're about the best around. This company has outfitted most vet schools, etc. I have some of their doors & they're really nice & heavy. Also are 8' high standard.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    Like I said in my original post I HAVE 2x8's for the walls from the ground up to almost my chest (I'm 5'6) and the panels the rest of the way up. What kind of idiot would use cattle panels for horses near the ground? Jesus.
    Unless they're in there practicing for the Spanish Riding School and working on their caprioles it's not a problem. . . .
    We have bars above our solid wall stall fronts. Many of our bars have been kicked hard enough to bend the bars at about 5 ft. above the floor level. I'm glad your horses do not kick that high. The energetic athletes here kick that high routinely. The bars are closely spaced with the intent of avoiding a horse getting a hoof or leg between them. The cattle panels have quite large openings (I am familiar with cattle panels) & I simply would be terrified (as I have already said) to have them anywhere in a horse barn.

Well, mine are pretty quiet, even though they are all TB's except one (the 31 yo TWH). One of the TBs is a home bred who grew up there with no problems.
    We built our barn ourselves, unfortunately we aren't wealthy, and remodeled an old cattle pole barn into a 4 stall center aisle. But maybe I am lucky, I don't have kicking going on in my barn. They get turnout almost 24/7 so maybe that helps, but even when they do stay in for the weather or whatever we don't have problems with kicking.

Personally I can't stand open stalls all the way down because all the bedding winds up outside the stall in your aisles and God help you if its windy and the doors are open so I would rather have the bottom couple feet be solid. But I am picky.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Personally I can't stand open stalls all the way down because all the bedding winds up outside the stall in your aisles and God help you if its windy and the doors are open so I would rather have the bottom couple feet be solid. But I am picky.
    Actually, I am with you, even though I know where to get the mesh fronts. Our stalls are solid walls up to (I guess) about 3-1/2 ft, maybe 4 ft., I've never measured. The stalls are solid walls between stalls, also. I guess that sounds hot & stuffy & maybe in some climates it would be ... here it is about right. We have sliding doors (also solid on the bottom with bars on top) & on the inside we have a tall swinging gate with a yoke. The sliding doors are open in the day so the horses can stick their heads out & look around. (They also can look out the window in each stall.) But, at night, especially if it is cold, we slide the doors shut & the stalls are very cozy. Our barn is well ventilated with perforated soffits & a full length roof vent at the peak. Also, the inside of the roof is insulated. All in all, we have not found the barn overly hot in the summer.

I would love to have sliding doors on my stalls. that would be really nice. Unfortunately they were not in the budget at the time we built the barn as we had to refence the whole farm and build the barn at the same time before we could bring the horses home.
    But you're right, my horses would bake in your barn, it gets to 100 degrees many days in the summer here.
    I do have a nice breeze in the summer and it stays shady and cool.
    I have mats, and my stalls are dug down about 2" below the aisleway, with a low threshold that keeps the bedding in.

YesYesYes! Thanks so much, Evalee and Whitfield Farm, the Lucas ones took my breath away, I've heard about them (and now I know I've seen some of their work!)
    I do have a welder in the garage.... Thanks!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

The G&S Company in Maryland(I think) has great stall mesh gates in different sizes. The phone # I have is 410-284-9549. I have had great success with them.