The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dogs who eat poo

I have two dogs...

One 13 y/o lab/chow mix, Chancie, spayed female. I adopted her when she was 6 months old. I also have Kera who is some sort of herding/hunting mix--1 year old and spayed at 3 months old.

Now here's the problem...Chancie is OBSESSED with eating poo.

I don't take my dogs around horses anymore because they always manage to eat the poo. Now, Chancie is eating other dogs poo, daily. I have to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't do it.

Problem: I live in a condo complex and we have a mini-dog park. Most people don't clean up after their pets. You also can't see the poo very well because there is mulch everywhere. So, putting stuff in their food won't work. They aren't eating their own poo...just other dogs.

Because Kera looks up to Chancie...she is starting to do it as well UGH!

They are on a vet recommended diet--Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice (to manage Chancie's weight and gas).

Any suggestions/thoughts on why she does this? How can I get her to stop?

I'm frustrated and sick of this disgusting habit (and now stinky breath) that my dogs have!

Dogs that eat poop do it for two reasons:

1. They like it.
    2. They have coprophagia/pica.

1. I have known farm dogs that just LOVED horse manure! One was a JRT. There was nothing physically wrong with him; he just loved horse manure.

2. Coprophagia is when a dog habitually eats poop - horse, dog, cat, which ever. Coprophagia is specifically eating poop. Pica is, more or less, eating non-edible items (from stones to plants to poop to....whatever).

Some questions to answer for ya:

1. Does your dog go right to the poop and chow down, or does it carry it around first and eventually eat it (probably because it's re-wet itself...if it wasn't wet to begin with)?

2. Is your dog OCD about cleaning/keeping a clean area?

3. Have you checked him for worms?

4. When your vet suggested the change in diet, did your vet perform any routine medical checks? fecal exam, Bacteria, etc.?

5. Did you discuss his poop-eating with the vet? Could he be missing a nutrient or mineral in the Nutro that he is attempting to get from the poop?

6. Does he ALWAYS eat poop, or is it at certain times? stress? boredom? attention?

7. When your dog poops outside, I'm assuming you pick it up, right?

8. What is the fat content on your dog's food?

9. Does he eat his own poop or others' poop?

Sorry for all of the questions, but in order to potentially stop the poop-fest....the above questions' answers can help determine a "why" your dog eats poop
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Every dog I have ever had thought the barn was an all you can eat buffet. I don't know what the attraction is but whatever it is, its universal. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Ugh, I feel your pain. I have a foster puppy right now, and we're going through bad times with him eating his own poop. We live in the city, so he doesn't eat his poop outside, but he will poop in his crate JUST to eat it. Literally if he's out of his crate all day, he's fine....put him in the crate and he's pooping/eating it.

Anyways, some things to try if they're eating their own poop. Pure canned pumpkin can work, meat tenderizer, or you can buy Deter or Coprophagia tabs from like Petco. Honestly, none of them have worked for us so far and the Coprophagia tabs we got (NaturVet brand) gave him TERRIBLE diarrhea. I have known people who have had these work for their dogs, I think this puppy is just a scrounger, he eats EVERYTHING (including electronics).

Also, if your dog has gas, get them off Nutro. The rescue was giving me Nutro for the puppy because they get stuff donated and Nutro is affordable, and he had THE WORST gas ever, and never had solid poops. He also expressed his anal glands atleast once a day and it was disgusting. I have since sucked it up and changed him to what my dogs eat (Taste of the Wild), and he has been significantly better, with no anal gland expressing!

Also, Nutro is crap, it's loaded with filler, and really a terrible dog food....I have no idea why vets recommend terrible dog food, because my parent's vet recommends Science Diet which is even worse than Nutro.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Check out that site. It breaks down dog foods down to different formulas and everything. I have a pittie with terrible allergies, and that's why I've done so much research/experimenting with dog food. Taste of the Wild, which is grain free, is a six star and it's the only food she can really tolerate.

Nutro gets a 2-3 out of 6 stars dependent on formula.

It really does depend on dog, but generally I have had much better luck with the higher quality foods. My parents' dogs ate Blue Seal, which is like a 1 star, for years and were all healthy and happy. So it really depends, but I will not feed anything other than TOTW again, I have yet to meet a dog that it doesn't agree with.

Hope that helped!!

Thanks for the advice so far!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Dogs that eat poop do it for two reasons:

1. They like it.
    2. They have coprophagia/pica.

1. I have known farm dogs that just LOVED horse manure! One was a JRT. There was nothing physically wrong with him; he just loved horse manure.

My dogs haven't been around horse manure in 6-8 months because they love eating it too!

2. Coprophagia is when a dog habitually eats poop - horse, dog, cat, which ever. Coprophagia is specifically eating poop. Pica is, more or less, eating non-edible items (from stones to plants to poop to....whatever).

Some questions to answer for ya:

1. Does your dog go right to the poop and chow down, or does it carry it around first and eventually eat it (probably because it's re-wet itself...if it wasn't wet to begin with)?

She goes pile to pile and eats it up immediately. Yuck!

2. Is your dog OCD about cleaning/keeping a clean area?

Somewhat. When they were crated they keep it clean, always. But, they do manage to make a mess daily--tearing up toys, etc. Not sure if that counts.

3. Have you checked him for worms?

Yes, regularly.

4. When your vet suggested the change in diet, did your vet perform any routine medical checks? fecal exam, Bacteria, etc.?

I had the yearly go-over (Senior screenings-fecal, urine, blood, organ function, etc.--the whole nine yards). Everything came back normal. Except for my bank account--that trip cost me over a thousand bucks! The things we do for our pets

5. Did you discuss his poop-eating with the vet? Could he be missing a nutrient or mineral in the Nutro that he is attempting to get from the poop?

Yes. I spoke to 3 vets about it. They all tell me she's bored. Or, hungry. Sick.

Chancie is on a diet (has been for at least a year). I break feedings down into 3 a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

6. Does he ALWAYS eat poop, or is it at certain times? stress? boredom? attention?

These two get TONS of attention and exercise. The younger one demands it. 30 minute walk in the morning, 30 minute play time during lunch, at least an hour at the dog park in the evening, and 30 minutes before bed. That's M-TH. On Friday/Sat/Sun. they get more interaction--extra car rides, park time, etc.

I don't see what Chancie would be stressed out about. I could be wrong.

While I'm at work or in class I do the following:

I got rid of all my living room furniture and turned it into a play room. My apartment is 600 sq ft. There is a massive dog bed, crates, and tons of toys for them. I also play animal planet just for some background noise--so they don't bark at the landscapers, etc. Since I've been doing this I haven't gotten any noise complaints. On nice days, I open the patio door and put beds out there for them (its pet-proof..if it wasn't I wouldn't do it).

7. When your dog poops outside, I'm assuming you pick it up, right?

Yes.

8. What is the fat content on your dog's food?

12% Crude fat

9. Does he eat his own poop or others' poop?

They NEVER eat their own poop. Just the poop of other dogs. Now, Chancie has been nicknamed the TurdBurglar by some sarcastic dog owners where I live

Sorry for all of the questions, but in order to potentially stop the poop-fest....the above questions' answers can help determine a "why" your dog eats poop

Victoria Stillwell covered this subject on one of her shows. Does the dog eat really fast? Is the dog being fed top quality, high-protein food? If I recall correctly, if a dog eats really, really fast, they do not absorb all the nutrients from their food...it basically goes right through them. Eating poo is an attempt to replace those nutrients. She also mentioned the same results happen when low quality, high grain foods are fed. Just a thought...

I think she cured the dog by feeding it small amounts off a spoon, or spooning small amounts of food into the bowl in attempt to slow the dog's eating down. It worked....

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Victoria Stillwell covered this subject on one of her shows. Does the dog eat really fast? Is the dog being fed top quality, high-protein food? If I recall correctly, if a dog eats really, really fast, they do not absorb all the nutrients from their food...it basically goes right through them. Eating poo is an attempt to replace those nutrients. She also mentioned the same results happen when low quality, high grain foods are fed. Just a thought...

I think she cured the dog by feeding it small amounts off a spoon, or spooning small amounts of food into the bowl in attempt to slow the dog's eating down. It worked....
    The food they get is 21% protein (lamb only) and the only grain in their diet is rice. Fat content is 12%.

The weird thing is that Chancie eats slow. She eats half slowly and finishes the rest a little later. She does this every.single.time. As for the younger one, she eats a little here and there until she finishes it. Sometimes she doesn't finish it.

I am going to try your suggestion about spooning small amounts off into their bowl. Thanks!

It sounds like you are feeding right. I saw the show a long time ago but I seem to remember that she said it was a nutrition issue...good luck!

Nutro is, indeed, crap. Looking at the ingredients, ground rice is the second ingredient (brown or white? I'm assuming white), and rice flour is the third ingredient (both fillers). I never like when not too far down the line it says "natural flavors." If they are true NATURAL flavors, why does "natural flavors" have to be an added ingredient?

You might try a healthier dog food for her that doesn't contain "ground rice" and "rice flour" in the ingredients. I know that you said she had a gas problem before, but if you stick with foods that don't contain corn, etc. you should be fine. Also, you can get digestive aids to add to her food (inexpensive) as well that will help her digest easier and absorb ALL of the nutrients in the food.

Also, if your dog is eating other dogs' poop, it might be a sign of submissive behavior to other dogs. (Thank God we're not dogs!)

And slightly OT while we're talking poop, I pulled this sticky from the German Shepherd message forum I'm on as well.....it's called "Poopology 101":

Color
    Yellow or greenish stool -- indicates rapid transit (small bowel).

Black, Tarry stool -- indicates bleeding in the upper digestive tract.

Bloody stool -- red blood or clots indicate bleeding in the colon.

Pasty, light-colored stool -- indicates lack of bile (liver disease).

Large, gray, rancid-smelling stool -- indicates inadequate digestion or
    absorption (malabsorption syndrome).

Consistency
    Watery stool -- indicates small bowel wall irritation (toxins and severe
    infections).

Foamy stool -- suggests a bacterial infection.

Greasy stool -- often with oil on the air around the anus: indicates

Malabsorption

Excessive mucus -- a glistening or jelly like appearance: indicates colonic origin.

Odor (the more watery the stool, the greater the odor)

Food like or smelling like sour milk -- suggests both rapid transit and
    malabsorption.

Putrid smelling -- suggests an intestinal infection.

Frequency

Several in an hour, each small, with straining -- suggests colitis

Three or four times a day each large -- suggests malabsorption or small bowel disorder.

Condition of Dog:

Weight loss, malnutrition -- suggests small bowel disorder.

Normal appetite, minimal weight loss -- suggests large bowel disorder.

Vomiting - small bowel origin, except for colitis.

HAHAHAHA...Poopology 101

This such a weird situation. But, I think the food is the issue!

As far as eating poop to show submission...I'm not quite sure I believe that. Chancie is by far the most confident and dominant dog I've ever been around. She isn't aggressive. Just very sure of herself and she knows she is the boss.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better food? I heard about Canidae from another pet owner at the park awhile back. But, didn't think much about it.

Thanks again for all of the help! I REALLY appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon

Nutro is, indeed, crap. Looking at the ingredients, ground rice is the second ingredient (brown or white? I'm assuming white), and rice flour is the third ingredient (both fillers). I never like when not too far down the line it says "natural flavors." If they are true NATURAL flavors, why does "natural flavors" have to be an added ingredient?

You might try a healthier dog food for her that doesn't contain "ground rice" and "rice flour" in the ingredients. I know that you said she had a gas problem before, but if you stick with foods that don't contain corn, etc. you should be fine. Also, you can get digestive aids to add to her food (inexpensive) as well that will help her digest easier and absorb ALL of the nutrients in the food.

Also, if your dog is eating other dogs' poop, it might be a sign of submissive behavior to other dogs. (Thank God we're not dogs!)

And slightly OT while we're talking poop, I pulled this sticky from the German Shepherd message forum I'm on as well.....it's called "Poopology 101":

Color
    Yellow or greenish stool -- indicates rapid transit (small bowel).

Black, Tarry stool -- indicates bleeding in the upper digestive tract.

Bloody stool -- red blood or clots indicate bleeding in the colon.

Pasty, light-colored stool -- indicates lack of bile (liver disease).

Large, gray, rancid-smelling stool -- indicates inadequate digestion or
    absorption (malabsorption syndrome).

Consistency
    Watery stool -- indicates small bowel wall irritation (toxins and severe
    infections).

Foamy stool -- suggests a bacterial infection.

Greasy stool -- often with oil on the air around the anus: indicates

Malabsorption

Excessive mucus -- a glistening or jelly like appearance: indicates colonic origin.

Odor (the more watery the stool, the greater the odor)

Food like or smelling like sour milk -- suggests both rapid transit and
    malabsorption.

Putrid smelling -- suggests an intestinal infection.

Frequency

Several in an hour, each small, with straining -- suggests colitis

Three or four times a day each large -- suggests malabsorption or small bowel disorder.

Condition of Dog:

Weight loss, malnutrition -- suggests small bowel disorder.

Normal appetite, minimal weight loss -- suggests large bowel disorder.

Vomiting - small bowel origin, except for colitis.

Someone else posted "dogfoodanalysis.com" which gives reviews on dog food. How much are you wanting to spend? The "best" over-the-counter (if you will) food that I have found is the Paul Newman Active Dog formula (chicken and chicken meal are the first two ingredients, no corn, etc.).

If you have a PetCo nearby, they sell some great food. Tractor Farm Supply also sells some great food for MUCH less than what PetCo sells it for (Taste of the Wild, etc.).

We feed a Diamond dog food. It's the one that has no corn, no fillers, and has proteins for the first few ingredients, along with real veggies, etc. It has some of the same ingredients for the much higher priced dog foods.

Quote Originally Posted by sickofcollege View Post
    HAHAHAHA...Poopology 101

This such a weird situation. But, I think the food is the issue!

As far as eating poop to show submission...I'm not quite sure I believe that. Chancie is by far the most confident and dominant dog I've ever been around. She isn't aggressive. Just very sure of herself and she knows she is the boss.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better food? I heard about Canidae from another pet owner at the park awhile back. But, didn't think much about it.

Thanks again for all of the help! I REALLY appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon
    Canidae has recently changed their formula to include a bunch of crap that has made a bunch of dogs sick. You can buy the OLD canidae formula, its now marketed as "Strongpoint" and is the same thing, minus the turkey. Its a very good food, my dogs have done well on it for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    if a dog eats really, really fast, they do not absorb all the nutrients from their food...it basically goes right through them.
    That's absurd.

Also, if your dog is eating other dogs' poop, it might be a sign of submissive behavior to other dogs.
    And that's even more absurd.

As the dog is scarfing down other dogs' poop at a dog park, a *basket* muzzle is probably your best bet, even just temporarily to try to break the habit. And for most poop eating dogs, it really is just a habit (often one that's been inadvertently reinforced by the owner shrieking "Ack! No! Leave it!" ) and not a sign of malnutrition. Basket muzzle and ignore her if she tries to go after the poop. Break her meals up into twice a day if you aren't already.

As for changing to a better quality commercial feed, Orijen and Evo are good (and grain-free). If you're interested in feeding a prey model diet, check out http://www.rawfed.com/links.html

Good luck!

First thing my dog does when I let her out in the morning is run into the nearest stall to "harvest" any cat poop she can find. Nom nom nom. :dead. Second thing she does is grab a horse turd, run around with it for a while. The neighbor's dog grabs the nearest horse turd when he comes to visit, and often takes one "for the road" when he goes back home.

I figure it's normal omnivore behavior. Dog is healthy, shiny, in good weight with no other "vices" and I would be hard pressed to stop it without punishing her ALL the time or microscopically sifting the horse bedding every morning before she gets in there AND making every last horse turd disappear. Not likely. Ergo, her habit is nothing more than something to entertain the little boys, who find it marvelously disgusting.

Never seen her eat her own poop, however.
    Click here before you buy.

I think there is definitly something to the eating to fast/lacking nutrients theory.
    We inherited a chocolate lab, the previous caretakers put his food in his bowl (approx 2 cups) and were like "watch this". They timed him at 8 seconds to eat his food . We were hoping that being alone with no 'competition' would slow him down. Nope. We feed him a cup 4x daily now, but its still gone in an instant. He'll also compulsively grab anything that resembles food and eat it before you can react.
    This is disgusting, but he'll eat so much so fast he'll be vomiting it up and still eating more, still at the '8 seconds' pace. There are a number of stories brought up about a christmas dinner that went horribly wrong one year.
    To make a long story short, yes, he also eats any type of poo, and once my cell phone.
    Nothing physically wrong with him, we have him checked out frequently as he obviously gets a sick tummy often, no matter how we try to control his environment. He gets long daily walks and has a doggy door to a huge yard. He's just obsessed with anything resembling food.

I just puppy-sat a 10 week old who does this...but he immediately poops wherever he can stragetically do it SO THAT he can spin right around and eat it FAST. He is quick about it and he's only 10 weeks old It was quite a challenge to get him to poop without him eating it right away.

He came from a puppy store, and I did read it can start (for puppies at least) when they are from not so clean conditions. I was just so shocked that such a young pup would be doing it.

I have an 11 year old Golden that started eating poop in our yard about a year ago. She is on excellent food (Petco Dick Van Patten Ultra). Vet says for her it's behavioural. She's not maniacal about it but it is gross for sure.

I saw the British lady in the show 'It's Me or the Dog' explaining how for one dog, it was nutritional. I never heard of the "eat slower" method. But that is interesting, as my Golden scarfs down her food fast and always has.

Quote Originally Posted by terasa View Post
    I think there is definitly something to the eating to fast/lacking nutrients theory.
    We inherited a chocolate lab, the previous caretakers put his food in his bowl (approx 2 cups) and were like "watch this". They timed him at 8 seconds to eat his food . We were hoping that being alone with no 'competition' would slow him down. Nope. We feed him a cup 4x daily now, but its still gone in an instant. He'll also compulsively grab anything that resembles food and eat it before you can react.
    This is disgusting, but he'll eat so much so fast he'll be vomiting it up and still eating more, still at the '8 seconds' pace. There are a number of stories brought up about a christmas dinner that went horribly wrong one year.
    To make a long story short, yes, he also eats any type of poo, and once my cell phone.
    Nothing physically wrong with him, we have him checked out frequently as he obviously gets a sick tummy often, no matter how we try to control his environment. He gets long daily walks and has a doggy door to a huge yard. He's just obsessed with anything resembling food.

The Shiba Inu I have eats like that. I dont' think I've ever timed him... but I make him wait to eat and then he is like OMG OMG OMG OMG <nomnomnomnom>

he never gets enough to make himself sick as I feed him essentially once a day. (well twice with his little dinner biscuits)

but his water? He drinks enough to yak it up. Its so annoying.

our airdales would pick up poop occasionally. I think b/c we never fussed with it and they had free access no matter what it was just a matter of doing it occasionally. Shrug it wasn't worth the effort, they were free farm/range dogs so you can't monitor them and they are generally healthy.

This sounds more OCD though.. I agree a basket muzzle and ignoring sounds like a good plan.

Err... Eating fast has nothing to do with what happens to the food once it gets to the stomach.... where nutrients are absorbed.

Eating bad food does having something to do with the amount of nutrients the dog is getting, but isn't necessarily the cause of coprophagia. My dogs (3) are on some of the highest quality food out there (to the detriment of my wallet...) and two of them are poo eaters. One learned from the other.. sigh.

I feed all three dogs a little spinach or canned pumpkin in their meals and it stops it right away. Pineapple and anise seed work as well. They go in tasting lovely and come out tasting awful. So the poo is no longer appealing.

I also make a habit now of picking up all poo in heavily used areas to reduce the temptation...

It's a hard habit to break once formed. If it's the food right now, it may become (or already has become) a habit or something they now know is tasty. Don't expect a miracle fix, unless your dog is only around her own poo, in which case the feed additive could work very well for your situation. Otherwise, expect some poo eating on occasion.

Good luck!!

Note... to those of you that have large dogs that bolt their food... be aware that this can be a contributing factor for bloat. You might consider putting some large (ie not a size they might try to eat!) in their bowl, or get a bowl made for dogs that inhale their food. There's one called the Brake Fast bowl I think.

Quote Originally Posted by allswift View Post

I feed all three dogs a little spinach or canned pumpkin in their meals and it stops it right away. Pineapple and anise seed work as well. They go in tasting lovely and come out tasting awful. So the poo is no longer appealing.
    Be careful with the pineapple though

Sorry, citydog, if you think my comment about submissive/eating other dog's poop is "even more absurd." I only got that information from a DVM and Animal Behaviorist as a thought. *shrugs* (Melinda Cumming, DVM PhD; Cheryl Dhein, DVM, MS, DACVIM)

I think if you research anything on coprophagia, and you find legitimate publications or websites, they'll also say the same thing about submissive behavior; however, like I said, and as the publications and websites (legitimate) say, every dog is different. While it may be OCD for one, submissive for another, nutrients on another, attention-based for yet another one, etc. coprophagia doesn't have just one trigger/cause.