The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dead deer in the yard = fun with DNR

We live next to Patapsco State Park in Maryland. We have deer ... large numbers of almost tame deer, who regularly graze in the yard and pastures. Over the last few days, we have been aware of one fawn that was not looking well ... very small, mis-shapened (over large head for the body), dull attitude. This morning it was curled up in the yard, quite dead.

Since deer wasting disease has been reported in this area, we called the State Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) to see if they were concerned / interested in testing the body, etc. Amazingly, I connected with the right person after only 3 calls and they do indeed want to test the body and will be coming to pick up in about an hour.

But getting caller number 3 to that decision point was an interesting exercise -- he wanted to tell me it had probably been hit by a car (not likely, we are off the main roads); or that it had a heavy parasite load (possible); or that it was a genetic disorder due to inbreeding (very possible - the herd is mostly 'closed' in this area). After some pushing on my part (including telling him that we were quite capable of disposing of it if no one wanted it for testing), he finally agreed to call his supervisor for guidance, then called back to say he would be here in about an hour to pick it up.

It will be interesting to see if we ever get feedback on what the cause of death was.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Don't you hate having to convince people to do their job? Hope you find out what it died from.. I would want to know, too.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

In light of dealing with the Department of Natural Resources, you may find this amusing. I like to go to it every once in a while just to have a laugh:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.asp

I wonder if people call DNR just because they don't want to have to haul off a deer hit by a car.

The reason I write that is because where I live it's not unheard of for newcomers to the country to call 911 or the CPO's because there is a ground hog living under the house. They want the police to "do something".

But I'd not mess with CWD and I'm glad DNR is going to pick it up. Shame they had to be prompted, though.
    For those who don't know what CWD is - it's the wildlife version of Mad Cow - introduced by the release of Elk.

Nice.

Hope the deer doesn't test positive.

I haven't heard of Bluetongue occurring here in a while. That's good. We'll see what summer brings.....

I thought deer wasting disease only hit the adults, usually older adults? why would they want to test a fawn?

Well, the carcass has been picked up and the people who came for it said they would share the necropsy results when they get them.

I don't know alot about the deer wasting disease, other than it has been reported in Maryland and hunters were urged to turn in / not eat any deer that looked liked it was affected; hence my interest in reporting this to DNR -- if it is in this area, I want to support the DNR's monitoring efforts.

The corollary to all this is I decided to thaw a nice venison roast for dinner tonight ....

*star*

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I thought deer wasting disease only hit the adults, usually older adults? why would they want to test a fawn?
    I'm not familiar with the game regs in the OP's state - I'd have to read up on them. But I'll speculate.

In some areas there is mandatory testing of cervids. That would include button bucks. I don't know what they need to fill their tag up there but if it includes young deer maybe they'd test a "fawn" too.

I was going to write that maybe the OP was calling a young deer a "fawn" but since she's thawing venison for dinner she obviously knows the difference. Never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    The corollary to all this is I decided to thaw a nice venison roast for dinner tonight ....

*star*
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Dominus Veniscum?

My introduction to Country Living came when I got up one morning to find 4 sheep grazing on my lawn.
    Since I live very close to a major highway I thought the local PD might be interested in keeping this hazard off the roads.
    I was able to pen the sheep in my henyard (using birdfeed as a lure) then called the local PD.
    They told me to call the DNR...
    Sheep? A Natural Resource?
    DNR - of course - could have cared less.
    While I was wondering what to do with my new flock, up the road came an ATV with 2 kids on an ATV...looking for their wandering 4H project...
    Good thing as I had no Plan B
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Given that the Michigan DNR is known for things like covering their ears and going LA LA LA very loudly when presented with tracks, scat, sightings, and photos showing a cougar presence (they have FINALLY caved--I think someone produced a dead one) and denying that there are cougars in Michigan, I'm not surprised that other states have similar Fun With Bureaucrats when dealing with them.

Your tax dollars at work. No wonder the terms "civil servant" and "government worker" are listed as prime examples of an oxymoron!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

You want to try having a moose drop dead in front of your garage doors... This happened to a neighbor of mine, on a Friday afternoon. It's the DNR's property, so no-one else will come take it away, but the DNR say they can't come until Monday... It was a long and smelly story.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    The reason I write that is because where I live it's not unheard of for newcomers to the country to call 911 or the CPO's because there is a ground hog living under the house. They want the police to "do something".
    I work for the local EMS/police dispatch and this is a daily occurance. We do not send out AC or an officer because a fox/deer/raccoon/bear walked through your backyard. Nor do we send them out to remove dead wildlife off the side of the road/in the ditch/your backyard, or any other area where the carcass is not interfering w/ traffic.

Last week a had an elderly lady want me to send an ACO out to get rid of the mice in her house...

We occasionally come across a deer carcass in the woods or crop fields, and usually w/in a few days the scavengers have taken care of it. If it was in the pasture I'd probably have hubby haul it out.

We've dealt with dead deer in the yard before. We just load them into the front loader and move them into the woods. No big deal.

This one I thought needed to be examined because it was clearly NQR.

By the way, the venison roast with a merlot sauce was quite nice ....

*star*

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    I work for the local EMS/police dispatch and this is a daily occurance. We do not send out AC or an officer because a fox/deer/raccoon/bear walked through your backyard. Nor do we send them out to remove dead wildlife off the side of the road/in the ditch/your backyard, or any other area where the carcass is not interfering w/ traffic.

Last week a had an elderly lady want me to send an ACO out to get rid of the mice in her house...

We occasionally come across a deer carcass in the woods or crop fields, and usually w/in a few days the scavengers have taken care of it. If it was in the pasture I'd probably have hubby haul it out.

I've been wanting to call someone for years, because every hunting season some jackass comes down our deadend road and dumps the deer carcass leftovers in the street right in front of my house. For some reason I thought it was illegal to not properly dispose of a carcass, but I know the cops would hang up on me, and I don't know who I'm supposed to call. Dept. of Wildlife/Fisheries, maybe? I set up one of those wildlife cameras last year to try and get them on camera, but apparently they found a better dumping spot.

Can't tell you how many times I've walked outside and gagged, seeing my dog gleefully gnawing on a decomposing deer head. Or spine. Or leg, with the fur and cute little hoof still attached. She even drags home the guts to roll around on them.

MMMMMMMMM, who wants venison now?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    ...She even drags home the guts to roll around on them...
    Just for you, Seven-up!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We've dealt with dead deer in the yard before. We just load them into the front loader and move them into the woods. No big deal.

This one I thought needed to be examined because it was clearly NQR.

By the way, the venison roast with a merlot sauce was quite nice ....

*star*

Oooo----- recipe please!!!!!!!!!!!

FrankB - that was hilarious!

We get lots of road kill here and I'm really sick of my beagle bringing home snacks. Even when I dump the carcass in the woods she brings 'em home.

Nothing quite as happy as a dog rolling in something smelly. Bleh.

I'm still trying to figure out where she got the ham from. She brought home a very large ham. Still in its package. Must have taken her forever to drag it and pull it under the fence......but I've asked around and no one has had their freezer raided.

It remains a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    SO awesome! Sent it to DH right away.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I've been wanting to call someone for years, because every hunting season some jackass comes down our deadend road and dumps the deer carcass leftovers in the street right in front of my house. For some reason I thought it was illegal to not properly dispose of a carcass, but I know the cops would hang up on me, and I don't know who I'm supposed to call. Dept. of Wildlife/Fisheries, maybe? I set up one of those wildlife cameras last year to try and get them on camera, but apparently they found a better dumping spot.

Can't tell you how many times I've walked outside and gagged, seeing my dog gleefully gnawing on a decomposing deer head. Or spine. Or leg, with the fur and cute little hoof still attached. She even drags home the guts to roll around on them.

This totally happens to us! It makes me furious and the people will do it right around the curve from our house. My dog loves to haul deer spines into the yard. YUCK! But I do love a good venison roast.
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

Yeah, I woke up one morning to find a dead deer in the front yard with someone else's dog eating it. Dog wouldn't let us near the deer and was quite aggressive. Hey, it was an unscheduled snack and he wasn't sharing.

Called the police dept. in my town and they told me, no leash law and it's not against the law for the dog to be eating a dead deer. And, since the deer is on your land, it's your problem. Their suggestion? Put the pieces in a garbage bag and take it to the dump!

My idea, put it in the garbage bag and take it to the owners of the dog who had 1) pulled the deer down and 2) spread it all over the front yard .

Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.