The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eq. Trot Debate

My friend and I were debating on whether you should come into an eq o/f class in a sitting trot or posting trot. I say sitting because I think a good rider, even on a bouncy horse, can still sit the trot nicely even if it is a little harder for some people. My friend said posting trot basically because she thought it was easier. What is your opinion? And does it really matter to the judge anyways?

A strong posting trot is better than a weak sitting trot. If you can't execute a strong and correct sitting trot but attempt to do it anyway, you're only giving the judge a negative first impression. However, if done well, a posting trot can really shine and be just as polished looking as a nice sitting trot.

If you have a good sitting trot, then sit. If not, post. It's better to have a good posting trot than a bad sitting trot.

I usually have a weak sitting trot. I tend to walk in [working walk, no dawdling], halt, and then proceed directly into the canter.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

You want to make the best first impression possible so go in at which ever you do best.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

A very BN judge was quoted as sayin "Do NOT come into the ring at a sitting trot unless you are better at it than Rober Dover"
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    I usually have a weak sitting trot. I tend to walk in [working walk, no dawdling], halt, and then proceed directly into the canter.
    This is what I usually did. The horse I did in eq classes was a gorgeous mover but sitting his trot killed my back. I usually avoided it when I could aside from the necessary schooling and when it was called for in a class.

I'd heard a quote similar to mroades. I was instructed never to come in sitting. 'If the judge wanted to see you sit, then he'd tell you to'. Unless you have a fabulous sitting, then post. (or walk, halt, canter- this is kind of the trendy thing lately)
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Agree with mroades. If you can't sit don't. Only If you can sit the trot with a good up transition into the canter, then do so. First impressions and all.

A better impression is made by doing something simpler well than it by doing something more difficult poorly.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I don't care if the rider sits or posts the trot. Smart riders would show off their strengths, not their weaknesses.

I would NOT want to see a rider halt if it's not part of a course or test.

My trainer always has us sit for the eq. trips. I think my sitting trot is pretty good, I'm on a fairly bouncy pony and I can manage to not look like I'm riding in a car with no shocks. I guess though, at my lowly level of riding maybe it's nice that people are even attempting it, trying to do as best they can, or maybe we all look stupid.

I didn't intend to reply because everyone was answering how I would have: only sit if your sitting trot is spectacular -- a good post is better than a bad sit.

But then I saw that people are walk-halt-cantering? I'm a fan of the walk-canter, especially if your horse isn't a stellar trotter. I did it often in the hunters, too.

But I agree with MHM. I think halting when you are technically "on course" is a little presumptuous and could be dangerous depending on the judge. I would never halt while on course unless it was requested of me.

Maybe no one is getting in trouble for this, but it's cessation of forward momentum and I wouldn't risk it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

If you can pull of a beautiful sitting trot then show it off to the judge.
    COURAGE is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/pr...rivateDiamonds

Most R and r judges will say "Don't hang yourself". Do as directed, no more no less.

They also say there are no pluses awarded for doing something not specifically requested but you sure can get a minus if you screw it up.

Have to say, don't get the walk-halt-canter. At all. Time waster. No bonus points possible but 3 things to blow-the halt, the canter transition and the lead. Not to mention it is harder to go posting trot right into canter and quicker, something most judges will appreciate-don't waste their time and everybody elses with unrequested demonstrations.

Don't fool around, get in there doing what you do best and don't take chances on screwing up something that only counts if you screw it up and not get you a single point for doing it correctly.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Agree with F8 on the time-waster of walk-halt-canter. As a fellow competitor, the only thing that pisses me off more than someone who walks half the way around the ring before starting their course is an empty ring waiting on a coach. Have some mercy, people!

Walk into the ring and right away pick up the canter. It shows you are ready and workman-like. In the eq, they want you to just go do it, not take time showing off that you can sit trot and halt.

As a judge once advised, "Don't show me what you can't do." So sit only if it's spectacular. And I wouldn't halt either - there will be judges who will penalize that.

In the dark ages, in those few attemps I made at Medals (what be called BigEq back then) I learned that since the "working trot" in hunt seat is a posting trot, that you should ride in at a posting trot. Things have changed alot (and far more dressage type elements are involved in the Eq) and now I'd think you'd go with what flatters you.
    I'd also look to your horse. If you have the type that needs to be "shaken up" a bit to get him in front of you, a collected gait might take the edge off his trip where a sharp entrance trot might get him "up and in front' of you. If he's a hotter type or needs to start out more collected, AND he has a nice, sittable trot, then it might be better for you to sit trot to start.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My trainers have all told me to go in an Eq ring at a sitting trot and then pick up the canter. Most of the other riders at the local shows do the same.