The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

Default Tad Coffin vs. Beval Devon?

Which would you choose? The TC is used and the Beval Devon would be new so they are about the same price. I want a flat, simple, good quality saddle.
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Do you have a horse it needs to be fitted to?

I bought a new Beval Devon and it remained hard as a rock, even after oiling the seat and riding in it a lot. I sort of got used to it, but then bought my current horse and it bridged horribly on him.

I'd go with the TC if it fits you and your horse. JMO.

I LOVE my Beval Devon. The saddle has stayed in great condition and i've had it for about 3 or 4 years. Possibly more I really can't remember. Its fit a lot of horses that I have put it on. I'm a huge fan of almost anything Beval.
    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    I bought a new Beval Devon and it remained hard as a rock, even after oiling the seat and riding in it a lot. I sort of got used to it, but then bought my current horse and it bridged horribly on him.

I'd go with the TC if it fits you and your horse. JMO.
    Well Tad's are far from cushy. I've owned both and have found the Beval Devon 2000 to be MUCH more comfortable in the seat department however I prefer the Tad overrall. The Devon was a fantastic saddle, however. It was my first and I rode in it for close to 5 years and it held up beautifully.

It will really depend on your preference and what fits your horse....they are fairly similar saddles in the way they ride (very close contact which I love) with the exception that the Tad only comes in the one tree and the flaps are configured a little differently.

Well, everybody's butt is different of course!

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    Well, everybody's butt is different of course!
    True. The first few days I owned my Tad were PAINFUL! I spent alot of time two pointing and was actually considering a seat saver I was in so much pain! Of course I had just swapped from an uber cushy antares and since the Devon was my first saddle I had nothing to compare it to!

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

My horse is really small and bouncy so I need a super duper close contact saddle. I have never minded a hard seat, but I like a really flat saddle with nice leather so it is sticky but not physically big.
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cheval View Post
    My horse is really small and bouncy so I need a super duper close contact saddle. I have never minded a hard seat, but I like a really flat saddle with nice leather so it is sticky but not physically big.
    Is your horse in need of a wide tree? Tads only have the one tree size. Do you have a saddle fitter that could give you an idea about which type of saddle would work best for your horse? Tads are nice saddles but if you're just going to have to pad it up in order to bandaid a too wide tree it seems kind of pointless and on the flip side I've found bevals run very narrow so if you horse DOES need a wide tree it might be hard to find a devon with a wide enough tree. Of course that doesn't even beging to address the shape of panels, etc that go into saddle fit either.

I absolutely LOVE my beval devon. It's the saddle I had as a young rider, and bought another one when I grew. Nice, simple flat equitation saddle with just knee pads, no blocks (YAY!). I love it on my stocky and bouncy 15.3 WB . If you need a wide they definitely make them. They also have different flap lengths.

That's a tough call. I've ridden in both, own a Devon, and like both, so for me, it would come down to horse fit.

I have a Beval Devon now and I really like it. I have to sell it though because it does not fit my narrow thoroughbred and it's a wide tree.
    I have ridden in one of my previous trainer's Tad Coffin and I really liked that too, but that was before I got my saddle so I can't really compare. I had no complaints about the Tad Coffin though! The Devon is a little hard, not bad, but my seat bones feel a little sore after being in the saddle for a long time (like over 3 hours without getting of). Both feel very flat and comfortable though. I guess you would just have to ride in both to decide.

I've never ridden in a TC, but I own a Devon and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! The quality is spectacular, its very close contact and looks lovely. This all comes from a die hard Prix De Nation fan, so I'm used to the pancake saddles... and ANYTHING was more comfortable "cushy"-wise in comparison .

I'm going to vote for saddle fit being the deciding factor. I ride all sorts of horses though, and have been able to make my saddle work with all of them. (Except the mega wide ones, havent been on any of those lately )

I loved my devon, but I outgrew it. I was devastated. I did have a hard seat, but I loved everything else about it. It fit just about every horse I used it on

Now I have no experience with TC's but I do know of someone who was having a hard time finding a saddle to fit her Thoroughbred, and it turned out the Tad Coffin fit beautifully on him.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Saddle fit and preference are very individual; if possible, ride in both and see what you prefer.

Myself, I'd take the Beval saddle. I had a TC and it fit the horse I bought it for really well, but I never did like it at all for me. Wicked uncomfortable.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I just got in my new Tad A5G2 (his new saddle) and all I can say is WOW!!! Incredible soft seat, and the workmanship is unbeatable- I had one of the older Tad's which I have had for 10 years and LOVED, but this version is to die for. A girl at the barn bought my older Tad for $2200. (I think I paid back then $3000. So I will definately say, they hold their value) My daughter had a Devon saddle ,and it was fine for her beginner years showing in short stirrup. When she went on to the Pony Hunters I invested in a Tad for her, which really made a difference with her riding- she is in her 2nd year with that saddle and would not trade it for anything.

Default TC is the more delicate saddle

One more factor to consider: While both are well-made, I think the Beval will hold up longer. TC saddles are made of very soft leather.

If all things are equal, and you plan to keep the saddle yourself for along time, you might be happier, longer in the Devon. But I think they feel quite different to both horse and rider, so you might have to end up choosing on these bases.

mvp

I had a Beval Devon years ago that I really liked. Then I bought a Butet (very different ride!) and just loved it for myself, but my horse hated it, and that's when I got my Tad. Rode in my Tad for years and it made an incredible difference in my position -- my leg was just right and while I agree, it does seem hard (esp after a Butet), you get used to it. I had to send my Tad back for some work and in the meantime, rode in another person's Devon for a few weeks, and omigod, I hated it. I couldn't believe that I used to ride in one as it felt so weird -- like my leg was all over the place and I couldn't find my balance.
    But...I was also riding a different horse in the borrowed Devon than I did back when I owned one, so that probably made a difference. If you can try both (maybe someone has a used Devon so you can try one that is broken in?) on the horse you will be riding, that would be best. I so hate saddle shopping ... which is crazy as I now own 3 different saddles (one is still the Tad) to fit 3 different horses!

Default Just a thought....

Why not try a used Devon? I found one on E-bay about 5 years ago, that had been lovingly cared for, and was SO comfy and had a perfect balance point. I think it was about 5 years old, so was nicely broken in, but still in show ring condition.

I ended up selling it about a year ago, when I switched horses, and needed to buy an extra wide saddle. My biggest saddle regret!

I have read decidedly mixed reviews of the Tad saddles. But have never actually ridden in one.

Good luck in your search.
    What's the scoop?

I own both.

Bought the Devon in 2006. Just got the Tad in Dec of '08.

The Tad is nicer quality leather, a slightly [sliiiiightly] cushier seat.

The Devon leather tends to get slick quite quickly without constant oiling. Yet, with constant oiling it likes to stain the seat of my pants... It was the first flat-seated saddle I fell in love with and was sad when my horse grew too-wide for it.

My requirement in finding a new saddle was something that felt darn-near exactly the same to ride in but that fit my horse.

I kept the Devon for my TB, as a 2nd saddle when friends come to ride, as a 2nd saddle for when I'm showing more than one horse in a division, and as a "travel" saddle. I liked it too much to get rid of it and buy something cheap =]

I think it comes down to which fits your horse better. They both fit very differently.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred