The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sidesaddle?

I am just wondering - COULD one show hunters sidesaddle if they chose to? I haven't ever seen anyone do it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. Thoughts???
    Last edited by Hunter Mom; Feb. 24, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Yep, sure can.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Wow... I think that would be way cool to see. There is just something so classy about a lady in full habit riding sidesaddle. Would love, love, love to do that someday--and would love to see someone doing that on a show hunter, though I know there are sidesaddle foxhunters out there...

You can show sidesaddle in any hunter (or jumper) division, you just can't do it in the Big Eq.

I don't usually do so at rated shows (I did an A/A division once, IIRC), but you'll frequently see sidesaddle riders around here at schooling shows riding in the "regular" divisions as prep for the sidesaddle divisions at the rated shows.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

You can and one of my friends used to show side-saddle quite a bit - but will say it was normally at the unrated shows... she also showed Jumpers and did some eventing side saddle - eventing was rated but normally not rated jumper classes. To be perfectly honest she would get some snarky remarks from judges - which we always thought was pretty annoying.. just judge the darn class.

The funniest thing was whenever she would do the jumper classes - a lot of snarky remarks from the rail (and sometimes the judge) never underestimate a very competitive woman and daring to do an inside turn in a jump-off
    In a nutshell she made more than a few jaws drop... I never knew if it was better to watch her ride or watch the people watching her...

She is a great rider and as mentioned very competitive - she doesn't go about doing these types of things unless she's going to win... and normally she does...

I remember a woman eventing sidesaddle a couple of years ago, in fact I believe she even rode at the American Eventing Championships and did quite well.

Well, plan a trip to the Devon Horseshow, Last week in May.

My GF rode the sidesaddle hunters last year ......
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I remember a woman eventing sidesaddle a couple of years ago, in fact I believe she even rode at the American Eventing Championships and did quite well.
    I wonder if that is the lady that was profiled in the USEA magazine years ago. She had suffered some sort of back injury and was only comfortable riding sidesaddle.

There was a picture of her riding xc in her "colorful eventing garb" (as GM puts it) but wearing her apron.

I thought the OP's question was unusual because around here it's not uncommon to see SS riders. I wish there were more of them - I think they're awesome. You should see them foxhunting - they leave me speechless. I'd love to see more of them in hunter shows.

You absolutely can show in regular hunter classes sidesaddle. I ocassionally see people in my area doing just that. I think it's lovely, and why not get a few more classes in if you're already out to show in the sidesaddle classes.

I remember that eventer too, she had some type of injury that made riding astride painful. I think she went prelim sidesaddle, IIRC?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I love sidesaddle, I want to buy one this summer if I can. One of my instructors shows around at the A shows and does the sidesaddle classes. She said she would give me lessons in that so I should take her up on it.

I don't think Juniors are allowed to show sidesaddle but Ladies over 18 are allowed to show sidesaddle in any Hunter class.
    Sherry

Aefvue Farm....where everyone knows your name

yup sure can. I saw a lady a couple of times at some rated horse shows and was cleaning up the class. It is amazing to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I don't think Juniors are allowed to show sidesaddle but Ladies over 18 are allowed to show sidesaddle in any Hunter class.
    False. Juniors may not show in the Ladies Sidesaddle Division, but they may show in any astride division other than Equitation.

I'd love to see someone riding sidesaddle in a hunter class. Unfortunately, sidesaddle is not popular down here.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

I did it for one season in the 70s with my "mostly retired" big eq. horse, but only at non-rateds. The non-rated shows put on by the local fox hunts were actually WAY more competitive (some of them were very deep and very tough!) and fun for riding aside than the rateds were!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks. I rode SS as a kid in Arabs some, but haven't seen it done in this area (true midwest) so I didn't know. I figured it would be like any time you do something "different" - people either love it or hate it. I'd love to do it again, but am not sure my horse is the right one for it (she takes a LOT of right leg to ride). Maybe someday...
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I would LOVE to see some sidesaddle riding around here. I'm in the midwest and haven't seen any at the big shows. It's just gorgeous.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

There is no reason the girl can't ride and show where the sidesaddle is not openly banned.
    We need more ladies and teens to ride aside just to keep the Art alive. It is safe and secure and lovely.
    It is hard to find good sidesaddles that fit our modern horses and our modern women.
    Most of the Old Name sideaddles were made for Thoroughbreds. With so many riding crossbreds now it is hard to find a right fitting saddle.
    I have also heard snarkey remarks made by not only onlookers but ring stewards and judges. I wondered at the time why. With so many who can not ride astride any more because of various reasons, it seems they ought to be glad these riders can still ride.
    I wondered why one particular Breed organization outright banned any sidesaddles at all, in any of their shows, for any reason.
    A properly fitted and properly ridden they are quite safe and secure.
    I ride a Western myself. But I also have an English.
    Lots of mis-information goes around on the subject any time you mention it.
    I had one very vocal woman aginst sidesaddles approach me about mine and I asked her if she had ever ridden one. No she had not and she was not about to.
    So it is just a predjudice she loved to hang onto.
    There are many ladies who do ride aside, because of injury and also a few men. With so many of our young men coming home from the wars with limbs missing the sidesaddle will give them an opportunity to ride again. They can be had with horns on the left or horns on the right.
    But it is like everything else , if there are loudmouths against it, it is an uphill battle just to survive.
    regards, sadlmkr

Showing equitation:

EQ108 Position.
    1. General. Rider should have a workmanlike appearance, seat and hands light and supple,
    conveying the impression of complete control should any emergency arise. Exhibitors
    may ride side saddle in Adult Equitation classes but not in classes restricted to Juniors.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Showing equitation:

EQ108 Position.
    1. General. Rider should have a workmanlike appearance, seat and hands light and supple, conveying the impression of complete control should any emergency arise. Exhibitors may ride side saddle in Adult Equitation classes but not in classes restricted to Juniors.
    Thank you for finding the rule to verify what I had said re no riding aside for juniors in Eq. I was being lazy and didn't go and search for it.