The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice for my arthritic dog...

I have a coming 14 YO JRT. In the past two years he has suffered a torn cruciate ligament (common n smaller dogs) and subsequent surgery, and a bout with a Copper Head (my JRT won). Until just recently (within two months) he has really slowed down. I feed him equal parts Canidae Platinum kibble and Honest Kitchen Preference. He also gets one Synovi chewie every other day. That seemed to be a good regimine, but I've noticed recently he has more trouble in the morning and won't jump on anything anymore. Long story short, do any of you have an arthritic animal that you treat with supplements? Which ones seem to work best, and which to avoid. Thanks so much in advance. I've been researching online, but I'm seem to get so much more from folks on this board.
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.

Adequan. Best. Stuff. Ever. Not sure what the dosage would be for a Jack. It was 1 1/2 cc for my Shepherd. Ask your vet.

They make Lubrisyn CA for dogs - I love Lubrisyn for my horse and plan on using the CA when my dogs get older

What is in the Synovi you are already giving him? It may be your dog needs a daily dose of something rather than every other day.

At age 14, it would be considered normal for the dog to no longer be able to jump up on the bed or anything high.

Adequan and some Rimadyl (NSAID) would likely be my vote...but I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I now have some options to go to my vet about. It is hard to see my babies get old. I do not have children, so that is what I consider them to be...
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.

TwoBigDogs Guest

Ask your vet about Previcox. I call it a miracle drug. It has allowed my old dog to be able to get up and down. If I hadn't put her on it about a year ago, I am sure that I won't have her today. She has a happy old age. I have used Rimadyl in the past, on other dogs, for me, same breed, and there's no comparison. Best wishes with your dog.

I have an arthritic Aussie that I just started on a new supplement. It's called GLC 1000, from www.glcdirect.com They will send you a free sample. I had my dog on other supplements at various times, and this new supplement is awesome. My Aussie is 12 1/2 and he is like a new dog. He is running up and down stairs, getting his ball and wanting to play, it's just amazing.
    They also make a horse version, and after seeing what it has done for my dog I am seriously considering it for my mare as well.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

We had an incredibly arthritic Labrador. At one point, she couldn't get into the car by herself. We took her for acupuncture, and after 3 treatments she was much more comfortable. I was always a little leery of acupuncture's effectiveness, but you can't fool a dog!! I just found a vet who works on horses - yea!
    Last edited by CallMeGrace; Feb. 24, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: add

I started my lab on cosequin, and saw a huge difference. That worked for a few years, and then I added zubrin(prescription), which is an NSAID, and that greatly helped.

I am having good luck with this http://www.mushroommatrix.com/smanimhealth.htm for my 13 year old shepherd mix. She has several issues including valvular heart disease, a large inoperable lipoma under her shoulder blade and general stiffness.

This has really brightened her up and improved her mobility. The Matrix folk's recommended a double dose for the first week. She has been skittering around like a puppy. Had to cut her back to the normal dose to keep her from over doing it. I am very pleased with the product.

I think I might try it myself.

I have had good luck with the Rimadyl(sp) and a Chrondriton/Gluco chew called Phy-Cox(expensive)-Vet gave me a jar for free. Back in the day my Mother used Ascripton(sp) otc for our Irish Setters pain.(don't know if it is ok now- though).

Good luck,

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Previcox and Cosequin DS get my vote - they have kept our very arthritic Chesapeake going (and going well) for a couple of years now. Also I sprinkle some Nupro Silver on his food and he gets one Fish Oil capsule a day. We just hand him the capsule and he chews it with relish.

Good luck!

Glucosamine. Most, if not all, dog joint supplements have glucosamine in them (and many senior dog food formulas contain glucosamine in the ingredients), and that's why it works. However, the price of the product is ridiculous, considering the amount of the glucosamine in the product versus a bottle of glucosamine itself. A bottle of the dog joint care also contains other ingredients, like vitamins, which you could decide for yourself if it's necessary or not.

My own dog (Aussie mix) tore his ACL a few years ago, right as he was developing arthritis (at the age of 6, no less), and within a week of trying out glucosamine (before he tore his ACL), he was much improved in only a week. Dashing around the yard like a bee flew up his butt. I truely think having him on glucosamine helped repair his leg after the surgery, and now, 3+ years later, there's not a trace of a limp. He'll be 11 years old in a few months, and while the vet himself said the joint showed evidence of advanced arthritis, there isn't a single limp. Hardly any stiffness either on horribly cold, bitter days. He just looks fantastic.

Next time the Off-Topic forum makes an appearance, take a look for the thread about dogs and joint care (can't remember what it's titled). There's a lot of great suggestions in there.
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Very good experiences with Cety-M. You can give it on top of NSAIDS. Buy thru SmartPak for dogs.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com