The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For someone new to puppy pads

Well, we got our new puppy, but unfortunately this is the worst time of year to have gotten her. It's FREEZING outside and insanely windy, she has never been out (was in the breeders home) and every time I open the door and walk out with her she starts trembling from head to toe. Even with the little puppy blanket on she is shivering.

Unfortunately until it gets warmer, I can't stand to take her out there and watch her be cold so we are trying the pee-pad method, which is totally 100% new to me. She has a crate open to a pen and is pretty diligent about going on the pads in there, but the SECOND I take her out of the crate, the whole house is fair game (even with pads around).

I read one site that said DO NOT praise them for peeing on the pad b/c that will make it harder later when you go to train them to pee outside (i.e. you've been encouraging them to go INSIDE all this time). When I catch her I take her to the pads but by that point she is more interested in playing then finishing her pee. I'm at the point it just plain makes sense to praise her for using them, but again I've yet to witness her going on them (she is in the pen when I"m not around and uses them, and when I'm around she is too distracted by me).

Anyway, for anyone that has used the pee-pad method, can you please tell me the CORRECT way so I can train her to use the pads in the house until I can take her out without her going into hypothermia?

TIA!!!

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_6633.jpg here is a picture

hey O- way too cute of a puppy! I have raised a few and never used the pad method, but we did crate train.

We always just took them out to pee. In the beginning it was every 2 hours or so to set a routine. We have had puppies at all times of the year. Her shaking may be of fear b/c she's never really been out, as opposed to the weather.

We would praise when they went potty outside.

I discovered pads this year with our Christmas puppy and they are fantastic.

I too have never praised the puppy for going on the pad, but I didn't growl at him either.

I did when he peed elsewhere.

I took him out 20 times per day (or it seemed like that!! ) and he would get lots and lots of praised outside.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

It's been a long time since I've housbroken a puppy (about 8 years! ) and I didn't use pads, but what I would do in your situation would be teach a cue/word for the puppy to relieve herself and reward for her doing that.

I remember with Fred it was a lot of watching for signs of squatting/stretching and saying, "No! No! Out, out!" and scooping him up and taking him out and then rewarding him for doing his business outside. It's best to not let a puppy roam over the whole house unless you are right there because they will do things you don't want them to do. I used an xpen and baby gates and pretty much kept him with me unless he was in his crate.

Cue words are great in any case. Although I did have a bird once that liked to scream, "GO MAKE WEE WEE!!!" at my dogs at night when we used to make them do last call before we got the doggie door. I didn't realize how silly that sounded until the bird starting mimicking me.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

If I were you, I would seriously suck it up and make her freeze. We got a 5lb puppy from Texas in December and he learned to go outside the old fashion way. Yes, he was freezing, but we got him a sweater and he learned pretty quick that the faster he goes, the faster he can go back inside. If you train her on puppy pads, good luck reversing that training and teaching her to go outside. I have had many puppies from Chihuahuas to Pit Bulls, and not one of them has been trained on a puppy pad...they have all braved Massachusetts winters.

I also foster dogs and have had to break one too many who were paper trained or puppy pad trained and it is hell.....for your own sake don't do it.

Congratulations! She is adorable. You have my sympathies on house-training in the freezing weather. We got our puppy the day after Thanksgiving this year. It has been a tough winter with tons of snow and ice. Poor puppy was confused when it finally thawed, and the ground appeared. We used Ian Dunbar's approach to house-training (without the indoor potty, we graduated directly to taking him out). I think that his approach is great. You crate, walk, cue to go. If they go, they get playtime in the house, if not, back in the crate to avoid learning to go in the house.

You can download his material for free here:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...home-8-9-weeks

"Get busy"

words to live by in the dog realm

The shiba inu I baby sit for my deployed roomie figured out real quick that I won't stand and wait for him in the freezing cold, he goes or he holds it till next time.

I got hiim trained where I don't need to leave my doorway... he runs to the nearest bush and does his thing then right back inside... Mamma going to be so impressed when she comes home!

First, do not let the puppy have the run of the house or even a whole room for more than a few minutes, when you are sure it just pottied outside.
    A puppy is still learning about the whole big world out there and a few feet from it's home den, it is game to use for a bathroom, so you have to keep the puppy confined, if you want that good clean instinct it is born with to work to your advantage.

Taking a puppy a million times out the first two or three weeks, no matter the age of the dog and confining the rest of the time, except for those few minutes right after it potties, is the best way to house train any dog.
    Male puppies many times you have to confine and watch again once they start to lift their leg, as true marking won't be seen by them as not being housebroken, unless you reinforce that yes, marking is also not done inside.

If you are intent on using a pad, use only one and near where you keep the puppy, so it can go there if it needs to.

We got some puppies when we had big snowdrifts outside and for those at times we used newspapers all over a small room, the bathroom.
    In a few days, we could narrow the newspapers to a smaller area and finally just to a page only and transition to the outside.

Always remember that, if a puppy messes in the house where it should not, you roll a newspaper and hit YOURSELF over the head, as YOU messed up letting the puppy make a mistake by not confining, taking it out or watching it like a hawk if loose.

If you yell or punish a puppy for starting to go in the house, you will end up with a shy eliminator.
    Puppies can't understand what they did was wrong because of the PLACE and think you don't want them to eliminate.

I bet that you will figure a way that will work best for you and your puppy.
    All puppies grow up eventually and do fine.
    He sure is a cute fellow.

there is no way i will ever train a dog to pee in the house. I got a pup in November and she was 3.5 lbs at the time. She is now 5-6 lbs and she has been going out to pee since day one. We watch her closely and we know when she has to go. We give a piece of kibble OUTSIDE immediately after she pees or poops. and we make a huge fuss. She actually goes to the door now. And our temps are not very warm, at about 25 today. She has a coat but we rarely need it.

I have seen far too many people who train their pup to a piddle pad and then have one hell of a time truly house breaking the dog. Take dog outside. Seriously.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    First, do not let the puppy have the run of the house or even a whole room for more than a few minutes, when you are sure it just pottied outside.

We got some puppies when we had big snowdrifts outside and for those at times we used newspapers all over a small room, the bathroom.
    In a few days, we could narrow the newspapers to a smaller area and finally just to a page only and transition to the outside.
    Words to live by!

I've never used those pads. My parents got a Boxer puppy in the dead of winter last year and while the little girl LOVED to go out, she'd shake like a leaf despite her coat. My parents used the theory behind newspapers, which I imagine is the same with wee-wee pads, but used shavings. They had an area that was sectioned off just by the back door, and placed shavings down for the puppy to use for potty (our command has always been,"Go potty!") Eventually, this did translate to outdoor potty because they also placed shavings in the yard and the puppy did make the connection-once shavings inside were gone, she would ask to go out and run to those shavings. But I imagine you have to keep the pad in ONE location, not all over the house, so puppy knows where to go. And keep puppy in one area, not free-run of house when you cannot watch him the entire time.

When my bf got his Aussie, it was Dec, he wanted to do the wee-wee pads thing too, and I said absolutely not. Instead, he was crate trained, and kept in our eyesight all the time, which was easy for us as we have a small apartment and used babygates to keep puppy in the same room as us. Luckily, he understood pretty quick what he was to do and I swear, he was house broke 100% before spring arrived.

I have a sleigh leather strap with three bells hanging from one door to the yard, a red chrismas big dog collar with four bells hanging from another and after a few days of me shaking them before opening the door, my then 12 week old puppy was shaking them to let me know she wanted out the door.
    She still does, although if I am looking at her she just sits by the door.

We have a dog door in a screen door, into an enclosed porch and a sliding door dog door into the yard from that, although don't always have the door open so she can use it.

Nothing beats having a dog door to a fenced yard outside, to let your dog go and come as it wishes, ONCE it is house trained well, which should just take a few short weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have a sleigh leather strap with three bells hanging from one door to the yard, a red chrismas big dog collar with four bells hanging from another and after a few days of me shaking them before opening the door, my then 12 week old puppy was shaking them to let me know she wanted out the door.
    She still does, although if I am looking at her she just sits by the door.

We have a dog door in a screen door, into an enclosed porch and a sliding door dog door into the yard from that, although don't always have the door open so she can use it.

Nothing beats having a dog door to a fenced yard outside, to let your dog go and come as it wishes, ONCE it is house trained well, which should just take a few short weeks.
    We did the bell thing too. Unfortunately, the puppy (poodle in my profile pic) discovered that he could go out at any time by ringing the bells. He rang them whenever he was bored. Any ideas on how to get him to ring them only when he really has to go?

When you have a puppy, you do obligue them and open and close the doors as much as it takes for them to learn.

Many will take advantage for a while and overdo it, but eventually they quit that.
    For the times later you don't want the dog to keep asking to go out all the time, if they are bothering you, teach them to wait.

Learning to wait is great, teaches patience, just don't do it when they really, really have to go potty.

That is also when a dog door is so handy.

I agree with everyone who has said not to use those pads! They make it nearly impossible to house train the dog. When I quit using the wee wee pads and took them away everything else that resembled them became fair game (rugs, clothes or blankets left on the floor...ANYTHING!)

I got a new puppy on December 25th of 08'. She was never even SHOWN a wee wee pad, she was completely house trained in about 2 weeks and now goes to the door and paws at it to let her out! Good puppy!

Here is a pic because well....I loff her!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23146...03823756cFdMfY
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

I am anti-pee pad. Why? I have seen too many people get super small breeds of dogs and train them to use a pee pad...then wonder why the dogs won't potty outside. It won't potty outside if it's been taught to pee inside.

Some dogs don't associate pee pad = potty. They associate inside = potty. For other dogs, pee pads work. I think it varies with each dog.

Other reason I am anti-pee pad....there is nothing more gross than going to someone's house that has tootsie roll piles all around...other than pee pads all around (in plain view) that have pee spots on them and tootsie roll piles on them.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

There are two causes for "accidents" in the house-Too much freedom or the owner not paying attention-if the pup is loose in the house and you leave it to go answer the phone that is both at the same time.

A pup shouldn't have the run of the house until it can be trusted. We start ours in an expen with the first stage being only room for the bed and the potty area. They come with the instinct to not soil their bed if they have an option. We use litter boxes starting as soon as the pups can toddle around and their area gradually gets larger as they are capable.

Go to www.havaneseforum.com and do a search for "potty training". You will find lots of information.

Potty training and house training are two different things. Potty training-going on command or in the right place-has to come before house training.

Any tips for an older dog who has regressed? I took her to the vet last week and had blood tests and a urinalysis done, and she checked out great health-wise. She's crated during the day when I'm at work and does great, but is still peeing in the house. I never see her do it so I imagine she does it sometime at night. I feel mean crating her at night because she loves to sleep with me under the covers. Is that the only solution? Then in the morning, I'd be walking her and putting her right back in the crate...

There's a medication available for older dogs who have lost bladder control. Used to be that you could just get a particular type of allergy medication and it had the same effect but I think it's been banned or something. Ah, the doggie medication is Proin:

http://www.prnpharmacal.com/products/proin-i.htm

and here's a bit about the otc meds that people used to use for such dog problems:

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dphenylpropanolamine.html
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Regulate the input to regulate the output. Don't allow the puppy access to water all the time.
    Let the puppy drink some water, then take it out to potty. No more water for another hour or so, then same drill.
    Many people make the mistake of allowing free access to food and drink to young animals and then wonder why they have such a problem housebreaking.
    What i do with mine is limit access, then take them right out. If they don't go, they stay in their crate and we try again in 15 minutes or so. Once they do their thing, then they get to stay out and play or go for a walk or whatever you want to do.
    I can usually housebreak one in about a week.

I hate puppy pads. They are counterproductive and no way am I going to communicate to one that is even remotely ok to go to the bathroom in the house.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin