The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Renting Shadbelly? NOW A QUESTION ON PURCHASING!

Is there some where that you can rent a shadbelly? I know COTH poster Anyplace used to, but if I remember correctly she is no longer doing so. I have it in my head that I once read (probably here?) that some of the mobile tack stores are now renting them. However, I know that none of them where the kid in question will be showing have them. Looking for someplace that would send it to her and she could send back. Besides the Grand Prix, is there another brand that makes a nice one? Any that are particularly awful? Seeing as she would be doing this long distance, I would like to get it right the first shipment if possible!
    Last edited by katie16; Feb. 27, 2009 at 09:26 AM.

not aware of any place that rents them any more. There are lots of places where they are on sale though (Ebay, Dover, etc.). You can find a nice one on sale for less than $200. I found a beautiful shadbelly on ebay for $150 brand new.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Call Tack on Wheels in Clemmons NC. I am pretty sure that they still rent them

Surely you could borrow one from someone????

Quote Originally Posted by Lives2Jump View Post
    Call Tack on Wheels in Clemmons NC. I am pretty sure that they still rent them

Oh my gosh! Blast from the past!!!! I used to live in that area of NC, it's where I first started riding. I bought my very first show outfit from there and all of my first horses tack/supplies. Glad to hear they are still in business, I lived there probably 15 years ago now. I was only 5 or 6 at the time.

Great idea to rent these!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

I used to rent from Hadfield's, WOW, talk about a blast from the past! I don't know if she even has the rental anymore. I bought a new one from Robin at the shop below, got a great deal. I probably paid less for the new one I got, then I paid to rent twice.

Okay . . . If I were to buy one, anyone know anything about the RJ Classics Shads? Are they as nice as the Grand Prix? The kid has an RJ coat so I think I could guess fairly accurtately on the size to order (I would have to do mailorder - I am no way near a tack store that sells them).

The RJ shadbelly aren't as nice looking as the Grand Prixs. Check Ebay for a kids Grand Prix

What size are you?
    .Lauren.
    .Viewpoint Stables.

You have a PM.

Not sure what size off hand - definitely a ladies not a kids (she just turned 17, shows as 16). I know that she has an RJ coat in her closet that she wore last year so I figured I could check the tag - hopefully it is still legible!

I don't expect she'll have a use for it before summer, just trying to plan ahead and know what the options are!