The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anything to apply to horse to stop other horses biting him?

At first I felt sorry for him...poor ottb with poor social skills getting beat-up Nope, he is a $hit disturber of grand proportions

He isn't nasty just plays really hard and is a mass of bites and scrapes. I have been slathering on Corona but it is getting ridiculous...a new wound every day. His blankets are destroyed and once blanket season is over I'm sure the rest of his coat will be too. He is going to look horrible once he sheds.

Has anyone found anything that you can apply to the horses coat that will deter other horses from biting it? I thought about Raplast but I'm not sure if you can put that on the animal. Any help would be appreciated.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Au contraire...I love UFC and Hockey.

GO HABS GO!!!

I just hate showing a horse that looks like he just came out of a slaughter pen.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Skin So Soft

Its perfume smells so bad, it repels bad horses, and it tastes awful. Bonus is bugs don't like it either.

You can find it cheaper on ebay and at thrift shops too.

I call it "mean mare repellent"
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Feb. 23, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spellcheck

I knew a COTHer would have the answer! Thank you!

You can use a free-to-graze muzzle. It won't inhibit eating or drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineAcres View Post
    You can use a free-to-graze muzzle. It won't inhibit eating or drinking.
    I'm pretty sure that the other owners would object when they showed up and found all their horses muzzled!

4 members found this post helpful.

McNasty Anti-Chewing Spray

Quote Originally Posted by 092556 View Post
    McNasty Anti-Chewing Spray
    You can spray that right on the horses coat?

A fellow boarder is having the same problem. I suggested spraying Bitter Apple on the bitten-up horse (it's from playing, not aggression). Might work! Might try a test spot first or just spray it on the blanket and see if it deters biting on the nearby skin.

a pellet gun for the offending horse j/k! I would never! I've thought about it though. But this is for an aggressive horse in the same pasture as my passive guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    You can spray that right on the horses coat?
    I used to spray McNasty on my old pony's tail and rump area, because her evil paddock mate liked to trap her in one of the stalls and bite her rump and pull hair out of her tail. She was crippled and couldn't defend herself very well. After the McNasty went on, the biting stopped (as long as I reapplied it regularly). It is fine to apply it on the coat , at least I never saw any bad reactions from it (I just wouldn't spray it anywhere near the face). Also, um, don't have your mouth open or anything while you spray it. It really is very nasty. I found out why that mean horse made horrible faces at me when she saw that bottle come out!

I'm with the McNasty as well. I use it on my cribbers stall door with a paint brush. I can't imagine spraying it though. Taking a whiff over the top of the bottle will make you gag and send you into a coughing fit. It's basically pepper spray. Be careful!

I used a really good Kensington textilene fly sheet to protect my horses from my "land shark." I put it over blankets and it works great in the summer too! ;-)
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I know this thread is old, but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas on what you can safely spray on a horse to prevent bites from others.

I don't think there is a spray that's going to be very effective, but the Textilene fly sheet suggestion is a good one, short of a different turnout arrangement.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

My neighbor uses the heavy fly sheets, those made of PVC woven mesh, over her horse's winter blankets to preserve her blankets then just the fly sheet to preserve the horse's hide. Works quite well except for the head and neck. Perhaps there is one with a hood also.

chicamuxen

My 25 year old thinks he is a bad ass and plays halter tag constantly regardless of whether the other horses want to play or not. I just body clipped him and there were over 100 wounds on his neck! He seems to do this every winter but once the grass starts coming in he cuts way down on his carnage!

When I introduce my very timid and low man mini to a herd he gets to wear his armor: it is a light weight turnout sheet doused in No-Chew spray. He wears it for a few days and then everyone knows to leave him alone. He feels much more confident with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    My 25 year old thinks he is a bad ass and plays halter tag constantly regardless of whether the other horses want to play or not. I just body clipped him and there were over 100 wounds on his neck! He seems to do this every winter but once the grass starts coming in he cuts way down on his carnage!
    My two are the same way. I really don't find it amusing when my two geldings come in with bitten up faces or when I catch them playing tug of war with one of their blankets. However I have to admit i think it's adorable they like to play so much and it's great excerise, so I don't do anything to dissuade it.

OP, I'd get a heavy fly sheet and some McNasty if you're serious about stopping the problem.