The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to get rid of pigeons

I board my horse at a barn that has a covered arena with open sides. Recently, pigeons have taken to nesting in the rafters. They quickly became fearless and will fly right in front of the horses and are becoming a huge nuisance. We also have lots of peafowl that hang out on the side of the arena. But they are welcome since they're well behaved Any advice on how to get rid of pigeons? Anyone had any luck with enticing owls to nest in their barn or arena?

Get a hawk!! ok just teasing...but there would be NO pigeons there.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

You might get bird netting to cover the open areas. Still lets the air in and out, but too small for pigeons. You can get very small netting, for the sparrows that make a mess of some arenas.

Most pigeons don't like places they have to walk into, like the peafowl would. Some hunting cats might be helpful, pigeon tastes good to them.

These people have lots of products for repelling birds.
    http://www.bird-x.com/

regarding the bIRD-x product. For what it's worth. My son is a fireman and they have problems with birds flying into the truck bays . They tried that, hung "owls" , and several other products and nothing has worked. You'd probably be better with the bird netting that was suggested or something , I think it's called "sticky feet". You paint it on and birds won't land on it . Some people hang short lengths of black hose ( resembles a black snake) around and in garden areas. Good luck.

I shine a light on them at night and shoot them using bird shot in a .22 rifle that way it doesn't damage the building. About once a month I have to clean out a few in my hay barns.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

String fishing line taught across the areas that they fly in to (up high). Something about the shiny line confuses them and repels them.

altho i hate to say it, Shooting them is the only way to get RID of them. Sorry. They can damage the roof of a house, i know that b/c one farm i went to had a flock of lost homing pigeons and they scratched a lot of the grit off the roof of the house.

Leafblower. Blow their feathery little arses out of the building a few times per day...after a few days they give up. Birds don't like hanging out in places that are windy enough to blow them tail over head through the air.
    And the bonus is...it's freaking hilarious! Puffs them up nice and fluffy too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

How to get rid of pigeons?
    A BB gun works great!

Look around for local dog trainers....they will often come out and trap the pigeons to use for dog training.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Leafblower. Blow their feathery little arses out of the building a few times per day...after a few days they give up. Birds don't like hanging out in places that are windy enough to blow them tail over head through the air.
    And the bonus is...it's freaking hilarious! Puffs them up nice and fluffy too.
    That's how I keep birds from nesting at the top of my tack and feed room wall each spring. I blow their nest building materials away every morning! It's so much nicer than watching my barn cats torture their young...

We also have ceiling fans above our stalls, that deter birds from nesting in the barn.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

We have a lovely little falcon who moved into our big lofted barn. He's adorable, although he's surprised me once or twice.

The pigeon bodies lying around were a bit gruesome (I thought one of my barn cats had pumped himself up on steroids/learned to fly and was massacring them), but now they have all vacated the premises for more hospitable places, and the falcon and the barn cats just hang around and gobble up mice/rats/any stray pigeons.

Put up a nesting platform / box for an owl:
    http://www.owlpages.com/links.php?cat=Owls-Nest+Boxes

Probably not an instant solution, but they will completely solve your sparrow / pigeon / rodent problems. And they're cool to have around. (not a good idea if you have kittens. Full-sized cats probably don't need to worry.)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I used deer netting (probably nearly the same thing as bird netting; the squares are very small). Put it up with an electric staple gun. Fast, easy, inexpensive, and best of all, humane and effective. It's brown so isn't even noticeable unless you look for it.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

The long way:
    By a Have a Heart trap, place trap beneath grain silo and spread cracked corn around the trap and in the trap. Add a cup filled with water, and wait for pigeon to walk in. Transfer each trapped pigeon to a larger holding cage, and donate them to a pigeon breeder so he can diversify his stock. This can be frustrating, and takes a very long time.

The short way: Allow pigeons to roost in the arena. Allow a hawk to roost in the arena, provide him with a bucket of water and shut the doors. There will be bodies everywhere by the next morning. Allow this to continue until all are gone, or until hawk becomes a nuisance to barn cats in residence. Open door for hawk to escape. Shoot remaining pigeons with a pellet gun.

Whatever you decide to do, you might be swift about it, as March is the start of laying season for these guys.

I used to have a terrrible problem with pidgeons after having had none from the time I built my barn/arena for 7 years. One day a "couple" arrived, then it was a downhill slide. They breed year-round ((unlike other birds) and have a very short gestation. A bit "rat like".

I tried netting. I tried fake owls but they eventually liked roosting on it. I tried spooky things. I eventually starting naming their babies when they'd walk into the feed room if I kept the door open for a few minutes. I found one perched on my tack room TV!

They are so awfully messy and they had to go. I got a few to walk into a big dog carrying case and drove them to WVa...about 2 hours away. Any less doesn't work. They fly back.

What I found that worked was identifying the horny male (bird stallion) and taking him far, far way! First and foremost. Depending upon how many pigeons you have, there might only be one so figure out who he is. They're easy to identify. A bit larger and fatter -- strut around like little matcho ,poofy, men - spinning in circles and showing off -- coercing the girls into having sex. Also, he's usually the girls sometimes are trying to get away from as they are very determined to breed.

Once the population dropped for no male being present, hawks and owls discovered there was quarry of youngsters. Those which they didn't get simply flew away.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Look around for local dog trainers....they will often come out and trap the pigeons to use for dog training.
    Heck yeh! Send them to me! I have 6 pigeons right now (with 4 on the way... waiting for my eggs to hatch) and we use them for our bird dog training. With feral ones like that, we could use them for the retreive training and steady to wing/shot and I wouldnt have to shoot my "pets". lol
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

BTW, you can tell a male from a female by looking at their nose. On top of the beaks, where the nostrils are, there is a white area. On the males, the area is enlarged and thicker. Also, they are the ones who do the "cooing" and make all the noise trying to get some action from the girls, like sid mentioned. If you start feeding them, they should be pretty easy to catch. Of course, once I start feeding something, it becomes a pet. lol
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

What do you use to catch them?