The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for rodent-proof storage

I'm looking for a tack trunk sized (give or take) storage container for in my shed. It will house my emergency supplies, including some food. It needs to be rodent-proof, mainly squirrles and chipmunks. They chew through the screening on our crawl space to get under the house, so I need something pretty sturdy. How do you store your feed and other rodent-attracting things?

I store my feed in a big metal trash can which is tied shut. Quite rodent-proof
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I've heard that an old chest freezer works. Otherwise galvanized trash cans. Are you talking about your own "Red Cross recommended" emergency stuff? They seem to think a heavy duty rubbermaid will be adequate. Whatever you use make sure to check and rotate on a regular basis.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We store all edibles in broken old chest freezers. Critters will chew threw anything but metal, including heavy duty plastic or rubber. The freezers are not, however, donkey proof... Something to consider if you have a tack-and-feed-room-door-opening donkey.

First choice would be an old chest freezer and second choice is a rubbermaid storage trunk with wheels. It's like a trunk and has hinges. It's HUGE and portable. I store my extra tack and other items in those in the barn.

The rats in our workshop chewed right through the plastic bucket that contained the rat poison! We have fewer, if any, rats now.

My property is free of donkeys (unfortunately). These are my Red Cross type disaster supplies. I replace foodstuffs each year, either by consuming it or donating it to a food bank (canned stuff is usually good for at least 3 years).

Our rodents easily chew through PVC pipe, the heavy type of hardware screening and even car parts. I was considering one of those metal truck bed boxes, but they're kind of expensive. I'll start looking for a small freezer.

Might place a wantad for nonworking chest freezers will haul away for free. You will prob get lots of calls!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    My property is free of donkeys (unfortunately).
    A situation you must remedy immediately! Every farm needs a sassy little donkey to keep the horses in line.

I have a small chest freezer in my tack room that I store feed in. I use a very small metal trash can for things like sacks of treats, bags of carrots, and my saddlebags. I also have lots of glue traps for mice! I don't do poison b/c of the cats...If you could find a small dorm sized fridge that might be what you need.

You can post an ad on craiglist (of course!) and freecycle.org looking for a chest freezer. I got one of ours that way.

Speaking of donkey- proofing... I had to move all our feed/meds/etc to the milkhouse which is now the feedhouse (old 15x15 shed outside barn) and put latch, hook, hasp, lock, and alarm (haha!) on door. Those donkeys will get into ANYthing!!!! They tipped over everything in barn, sheds, garages, etc looking for one morsel of anything edible. I put a heater in there and it's also the cat's house. Too bad they don't catch mice! I'm now also looking for another freezer to put in there for the feed bags. And another few freezers for storage of all my blankets. I am finalllllly going to wash them all and store them right! (about 100 of them!). ugh...

I store my feeds in rodent proof plastic containers or trash bins from Home Depot/Lowes. Do they not work for you? They seem to work perfectly fine for me... You can also uses metal bins. I don't use them because they tend to rust out.

We use metal.

Packrats live in these parts and will chew through anything else if they get into the tack/feed room.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I've heard that an old chest freezer works. Otherwise galvanized trash cans. Are you talking about your own "Red Cross recommended" emergency stuff? They seem to think a heavy duty rubbermaid will be adequate. Whatever you use make sure to check and rotate on a regular basis.
    Yes..old chest freezer. Better for storage than for freezing!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

TimothyJ Guest

Default Rodent proof containers

I store feed, birdseed, etc in mouse proof storage bags called GrubPack. They are made of a stainless steel mesh. Actually made for backpacking. Mice, rats, etc cant chew through the mesh. I bought a couple online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    My property is free of donkeys (unfortunately). These are my Red Cross type disaster supplies. I replace foodstuffs each year, either by consuming it or donating it to a food bank (canned stuff is usually good for at least 3 years).

Our rodents easily chew through PVC pipe, the heavy type of hardware screening and even car parts. I was considering one of those metal truck bed boxes, but they're kind of expensive. I'll start looking for a small freezer.
    I second the old freezers!

I get my old freezers from the dump, it helps if you live in the country, but I assume your have a recycle place where you are, they let me take them away for free.

I also use an old chest freezer to store feed in. I got it on craigslist for free.

For those with donkeys/etc breaking in, I have seen chest freezers with a padlock latch installed on it and a snap to keep it closed.

55 gallon metal storage drums
    Get the food-grade models. They're darn nigh indestructible and not that expensive.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

My rodent plan is very simple : I make sure there's a little feed out for rodent predators(I have a plastic St Francis and a dish, but whatever you like) that's a small but steady supply. Then, they come around and eat the others--they are used to dining on my small property. This works in a number of ways: because I have a motion detector floodlight and it shines out from a door, I can stand behind the window and watch who comes to eat.This is very enjoyable, as you get to know your guests, they stay wild, but they aren't scrunty and desperate. I also get rid of the stuff in the frig that would give poopies to the dogs and cats. Since people dump cats in the woods near my property, there's always a few cats who keep their territory, and my small property, free of annoying gnawing things. Sometimes I get to see a fox, a live possum, or coon--instead of smashed and agonized out on the roadway where people drive way too fast.
    SZ