The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Rio Grande youngsters out there

I have a rio grande 3 yr old filly - she has three whirls on her forehead and the attitude to match. Her movement is incredible and she is a good size - 16.3hh.

She is a monster in the stall but when you work her she seems to really love it. Anything you get from her is incredible, but it really takes skill and patience to get it. She is a bit of a tough nut but once she relaxes and gets into the work it is awesome.

Just wondered if anyone else has a rio youngster and wonder what your experiences are with training. Are they easy or tough.

I just find that once you get what you want it is just fantastic.

My Rio Grande filly will be 3 in June. She currently is being lightly lunged and she long lines like a pro. I haven't backed her yet since she is still physically immature. Rosie has a puppy dog personality and loves attention from everyone. She has been very easy to teach and accepts new experiences without so much as a flick of her ear. She will make an ideal amateur horse. Rosie is a hair under 16.0 hands and is marked like her dad.

Quinn is her breeder and I am very fortunate that she spent her early life on her beautiful farm under proper care. I am hoping Quinn can post a picture of Rosie (since I can't) and I would love to see pictures of the other posters' Rio Grandes.

Mine had a wonderful personality, but she was difficult to get changes on. Well more than difficult, she never got them. Tried every which way and nothing. Brave as sin this mare thought! Would jump through fire if asked to. Superb mover, but just nutty at times.

Default I have 3 Rio's

I have 3 Rio Grandes,10, 7 & 6 yrs, all geldings, 2 full siblings and one is a 3/4(1/2 brother to the dam of the other 2). All have been super easy to train and very well balanced, natural changes, hunter types with the scope for the jumper ring.

My only negative experiences with them is almost too short of a back. As well one of my boys was born with a cleft palate and the full sibling at the age of 4 became a roarer(which has recently received surgery on). The one with a cleft palate can be ridden, but is more of a pasture ornament. Its such a shame as he looks just like his father.

My favourite stallion of all time. I have had 3 beauties. 2 are now 10 and of course Hattie's is rising 3. The one thing I can say about them, aside from their talent, is their generous temperaments. Love them.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...liverJump2.jpg

Oliver - 10

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...006school2.jpg

Quinn - 10

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...Rosieconf1.jpg

Rosie - 3

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Quinn yours look to have that round easy keeper type, as are mine. Hard to keep the weight off. Mine are almost dog-like in personality and very very smart, but in a good way. I also think they have the best canter, like a cloud.

Cover Girl, yes they are very easy keepers. Quinn is on a very strict diet and she's worked 6 days a week. If it was up to her she'd eat all day.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

hmmmmmph, I guess it's up to the photog to post more pics of Quinn & Hattie's baby...

(note to self - how much better would thewse pics have been with the yummilicious new lens?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosie-head-shot-3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	24246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confo-2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	24247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confo-3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	24248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosie-head-shot-2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	24249  
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK, thank you. Your pictures are indeed lovely.

Rosie is a VERY easy keeper. Her rubenesque figure is from pasture and very little grain. Right now she is very leggy and lean, however my pastures are now sprouting green grass so that belly will be expanding soon.

I am also assuming that her changes will be easy, since she is so balanced and is an auto changer in the pasture. She won't be the hack winner at larger shows, but she moves well enough for ribbons at the smaller A shows. And I'll be really happy if she jumps as well as the other Rio's that I have seen! Her only bad habit is bucket sitting!!! She has been relocated to another stall without an automatic waterer, since removing wet shavings is no fun!!!

There's another poster here who has a Rio Grande baby coming 3 in April. She's big (I think 16.3?), has a great disposition, and that seemingly incredible talent that is so apparent with the RG babies out there.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Default I have a coming 4 year old Bay Hanoverian filly

By Rio. I just love her. I broke her last year and rode her lightly. Very easy so far. Also very willing. Her dam is a Hanoverian mare by Armin. She is 16 or 16.1 hands. I think she grew over the winter. I just lover her...she is a puppy dog as well. See Rio Bella at www.huntervalefarm.com

Default I have a coming 4 year old Bay Hanoverian filly by Rio

I just love her. I broke her last year and rode her very lightly. Very easy so far. Also very willing. Her dam is a Hanoverian mare by Armin. She is 16 or 16.1 hands. I think she grew over the winter. She is a puppy dog as well. See Rio Bella at www.huntervalefarm.com

I've had 5 Rio babies. 4/5 were out of proven show mares, and one was out of an imported Hannoverian mare. I love all of them and kept two. Actually the first horse I bred for myself was a Rio and he is now 9 years old. Ravello is the biggest mush. He is more like a dog than a horse. He is also a super easy keeper and 16.3hh and around #1400. All of them are kind and easy horses. They are athletic and scopey. The oldest Rio I sold is 5 years old, 17.1hh and shown by an amateur. The four year old was started by his young amateur/owner and has been simple.

I loved watching Rio's Rhapsody show in the GP's going around like a hunter. She won the 100K here in Ocala a couple of years ago. Catwalk was fun to watch too. She lost her bridle in the middle of a GP at WEF. She went on and jumped through the combination and another jump. The photos are amazing.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

Any of you Rio's inherit the trademark Rio walk with the huge overstep?

Great topic, for those that have Rio foals, what traits do you feel he added consistently? Any conformation strengths and/or weakness?

I have always liked this stallions offspring that I have seen.

Rosie is growing up into such a lovely girl. I am confident she will be a great jumper.
    Robin Stewart
    www.woodsendfarm.com

JB, I have high hopes for Hattie and Rosie. That way, I may live vicariously through her!

Quinn was not blessed with perfect conformation so we don't have very elastic movement. What she does have is a consistent great jump and a good mind. She is kind and generous and always willing to work.

Talking

I have a beautiful 12 year old Rio mare that I bought as a weanling. We have been competing at 2nd level and last summer received a couple of 9's on her free walk. Her canter is just the best, big and round. She is 16.2 and quite solid, a very easy keeper and truly a wonderful partner. She is out of a thoroughbred mare.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/DSCF7872.jpg