The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggest a saddle for my narrow, withery horse

I have a 5 yr. old 16.1 hand gelding that has been really hard to fit for a saddle. I was using a Devoucoux dressage saddle on him, but it started rubbing him and making him sore right under the seat. I tried using various different pads and such, but no change. I borrowed a friends Passier, and that was a little better, it clears his withers nicely, but the pads under the seat (lingo?) are still not angled enough for him, and it still made him sore. The local tack store saddle fitter came out the other day with some more Passiers, a Caprilli, and an Albion, and none of them fit him either.

He has high withers and his back drops off from his spine at quite an angle. I assume with more work and training he will build muscle up in this area, but I need something to fit him now and in the future. You may not be able to tell much but I included some pics here.

I am now riding him for the moment in a narrow Butet jumping saddle with a Saddle Rite pad until I can get something figured out.

Please help!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I really like the way my mom's Niedersuss fits on my pony with similar back conformation, although it's in need of a restuff (bought it used).

Cliff Barnsby saddles offer clearance for high withered horses. Friend has one for her TB and loves it.

Kieffer.

I love my Kieffer. I feel that Kieffer's do a very good job at fitting horses with a wither. And it's a Kieffer, it will last forever.

I have a Windsor Greenline and it has been heaven sent for my shark finned gelding! He was really well put together, then his withers popped up making him next to impossible to fit! I tried a Greenline and he seemed to go in in really well, so finally found one to buy. He's now a 7 year old OTTB and is 17h, although he can still fit into a 78" blanket! He's the lightest built big horse I've ever sat on. It has a straight cut so it has fit his ever expanding shoulder well and sits very balanced on his back. Plus, I love the saddle! It's not too much, nor too little. Everyone that has sat in it has bought one and the horses seem to be in heaven with it. They're tough to find used, but occassionally you can find one on Ebay. If you're near me, I'd let you try it out.
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Thanks for the ideas. The tack store gal brought a Kieffer over this afternoon, so I will try that tomorrow. I have heard that the Barnsbys are good, too and I think they've got one. I will try to find a Windsor (too bad you are across the country!) and I will do a search for the Niedersuss.

If anyone has any more ideas, let me know! I figure the more I can try, the better!
    -H.M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseymama View Post
    He has high withers and his back drops off from his spine at quite an angle.
    My Hanoverian x mare has a sort of tear-drop shape like that, moreso as she gets older. And pretty high withers. You wouldn't want to ride her bareback!

She came with a used Niedersuss saddle, medium width I think, that has been restuffed a couple times to keep it fitting her as she ages, but it is super comfy and is now very well used and holding up great.

He's not very wither-y at all, actually. He may be a bit longer-withered, but not terribly high.

Can you get a picture from behind, to show the shoulders and the back, and how they drop off from the withers and spine?

Amerigo is actually quite nice in this regard, as it's a bit higher-pommeled with a little cutback (not enough to be classified as such, but it's certainly not "full") and sat remarkably well on my TB mare who has MUCH more prominent and long withers than your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Amerigo is actually quite nice in this regard, as it's a bit higher-pommeled with a little cutback (not enough to be classified as such, but it's certainly not "full") and sat remarkably well on my TB mare who has MUCH more prominent and long withers than your guy.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Also, the independent panels will adjust to the angle of his back better than a stitched-down panel.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSaddleFitter View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest.
    Ahhhh, my saddle woes have learned me well

I have the Windsor greenline also and it fits my boy great. Me, not so much (a bit small) but he is such a PITA to fit I will deal with it. I'm sure a diet wouldn't hurt either

JB- I guess he doesn't look that high-withered in the picture, and it's not that his withers are so prominent, it's just that he is narrow below them, so most saddles just fall on top of them. He actually has scarring on the top of his withers from before I got him where someone's saddle set right smack on them. So I think what was happening with my Devoucoux is that even though it never touched his withers, I put a saddle rite pad under it to make sure he had enough padding and clearance and that pushed the center of gravity back on the saddle, which then caused rub marks under the seat. (At least this is my best guess.)

I tried to get a good pic of him, but it's really hard to show this in two-dimensions. I did get a picture of his back from the hind end looking forward (I got up on a stool) but it still didn't show the degree of angle that you can see in real life, so I didn't include it.

When you put most saddles on him, the panels in the back (under the seat) sit too straight across. This seems to cause two pressure points on him right under the seat and has made him sore in those exact spots.

When I first got him he was one of those horses who had a raised spine up out of his back. With regular work and muscling this has disappeared a little. But keep that in mind. He is a very narrow, fine-boned horse even though he's a good size and has a nice belly!

I've been wracking my brain to figure out the saddle fit for him, so I appreciate your and everyone's comments!
    -H.M.E.

Go to www.trumbullmtn.com and take a look at their saddles. You can also send them wither and back tracings, which are very helpful.

Sounds like you need a higher pommel/cutback pommel, and back panels that are more A shaped than flat.

You can always get the panels restuffed to fit better.

My instructor has a Campbell, and it fits any horse that's not too wide.

Excellent link, thanks JB!
    -H.M.E.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My Kieffer Wien fit a narrow, shark-withered TB, one with prominent long withers who was a bit wider, and my current horse until he filled out a bit.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    My Kieffer Wien fit a narrow, shark-withered TB, one with prominent long withers who was a bit wider, and my current horse until he filled out a bit.
    Oh, that is SO good to know, as I'm eyeballing one well-used (and priced to reflect it) for my shark-withered, long withers to boot, and who still has wide shoulders.

friesianlady Guest

Borne saddles--best on the market!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oh, that is SO good to know, as I'm eyeballing one well-used (and priced to reflect it) for my shark-withered, long withers to boot, and who still has wide shoulders.
    The wide shoulder thing could be an issue as I *think* that was one of the issues when Star filled out and decided that he didn't like the saddle any more. Or maybe it was just that he didn't like dressage anymore. In any event, he was a happier camper with an Amerigo. (he is even happier now that he doesn't do dressage, but that's another story)
    The Evil Chem Prof