The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Low Cost Pet Meds?

Do you order off line and if so which Co. do you use? Having lost my job recently I have to be very frugal with spending.

I once used Medi-Vet and found their prices to be great. My Vet now refused to telephone the order in which is a requirement. I may have found another Vet that would though. I want to order Revolution for my GSD...the only thing that works for fleas here now. I see that Medi-Vet will only ship that med to a licensed Vet though. sigh

I saw that Fosters-Smith seemed reasonable but still more that MV.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Someone recently highly recommended this website to me. I haven't had time to check it out yet ......

http://www.revivalanimal.com

Do what I do, grab a pen and paper and just start doing research. There are soooo many online pet pharmacys now a days, it's best to compare and narrow it down to the lowest one. Have to factor in shipping as well. As far as your vet clinic not phoning it in, see if they will accept a fax. I work at a clinic and we require the request faxed as we have to verify dosage ect.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Someone recently highly recommended this website to me. I haven't had time to check it out yet ......

http://www.revivalanimal.com
    I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from Revival over the years. I've always gotten fast courteous service.

Default Home vaccinations...

Also depending on how comfortable you are with giving injections you can do some (or all depending on what state you live in) of your yearly vaccinations at home. I've found some sites that will sell individual (or two/three) doses of vaccines (where others you can only buy a whole tray of like 25). In SC only a vet can give rabies but I could give my dogs their Bordetella and DHLPP-C if I wanted, so you'd have to look up the rules for your state. I think KY is one of the states where rabies can be given by anyone. You do have to buy syringes as they don't come with the vaccines. I also suggest some type of muzzle... even the best of dogs can react when you stick them.
    For anyone who in thinking of doing this DO NOT INJECT the bordatella... it goes into the nose aka take the needle off and squirt into a nostril. I think its something like three in ten dogs accidentally injected with it will die.

Pets Megastore in Australia. Same US products, lower prices, cheapo or free airmail shipping.

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Another AUS site www.petshed.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    For anyone who in thinking of doing this DO NOT INJECT the bordatella... it goes into the nose aka take the needle off and squirt into a nostril. I think its something like three in ten dogs accidentally injected with it will die.
    Depends on the bordetella vaccine. Some of them are IN, some of them are SQ. Read the label first.

I order most of the time from KV VET for Interceptor and Prion for my older dog, I compare prices everywhere before I reorder, most of the time they come out the lowest. Rather than have to call in a prescription my vet now price-matches if i bring in a printout of the page with me.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    Depends on the bordetella vaccine. Some of them are IN, some of them are SQ. Read the label first.

Really... well I learn something new everyday. I was under the impression that since it was a "live" vaccine it caused major problems if given SQ.
    So if the intranasal is given SQ it can cause major issues... but if the SQ type of the vaccine is given IN does it cause problems or is the vaccine ineffective?

The SQ bordetella vaccine (Bronchicine, by Pfizer, is the one I've used; there may be others) is a cellular antigen extract. I'm not sure what, if any, adverse effects it has if given IN by mistake.

You are correct that the IN vaccines cannot be given SQ. They are avirulent live organisms, and can cause abscesses if injected.

Many vets will "refuse" to call in RXs for patients if they aren't current. For instance, since Revolution is a heart worm preventive, if you don't have a current heart worm test many vets won't authorize a refill online.

Also, make sure that you order from a reputable place so you can be sure you are getting the ACTUAL product and not a counterfeit. It's not cheaper if it isn't the real thing!

Lastly, be aware that many manufacturers will not warrantee their medication if purchased through an online pharmacy rather than through your vet. So if your pet gets intestinal or heart worms and you got your Interceptor via the internet, they will not reimburse you for anything. If there is any sort of product failure and you purchased through a vet, you frequently can recoup either your purchase price or treatment costs or both!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I order medications from Thriving Pets. Vet puts order in on VetPetSolutions - can fax, etc...

Vet can even do a script for 6 months and you can order mdeications in less incrments - like Pergolide I order every month (in capsules) because it goes bad fast - but vet puts in 1 script for 6 months. MUCH less expensive then getting powder locally.
    Sandy in Fla.

I use Valley Vet Supply for my dogs' heartworm preventative and a few other OTC pet products. Best prices I have found, cheap shipping, and fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Another AUS site www.petshed.com
    I use PetShed too. Shipping is always quick.

My small animal vet will not call in prescriptions. The only way I can get heartworm preventative is directly from his practice. I really like this vet and his prices are reasonable, but I really wish I could buy me pets' medicines online.

Some clinics will price match online prices as well.

Just be careful online...there are a lot of counterfeits out there, even from reputable looking websites.

This link lists some good questions before ordering online as well.
    http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm203000.htm

I can tell you one that I would advise you avoid.
    Allvetmed.com
    Ordered 5-way vaccines, single dose bottles at $23/ea + $22 second day air. That was on a Wed. A week later, still no order, online account still saying "processing".

I had used Paypal to pay them (dumb move, tell you why in a moment..) figuring I could dispute it if these folks flaked on me.

So I called the 800 number. It rang several times before it was answered (which makes you a bit nervous). The woman was puzzled as to why the order hadn't gone through. Said she would research it and get back to me.

She did. I will give her credit where credit is due.

She told me that was backordered from their distributor, and they weren't going to be able to get anymore in from them, so they called around to others, ones they normally didn't use.

The best price they could get me was $29/ea plus shipping and did I want that??

Uh, no. I did not, just refund me please.
    Which they did.

At which point good old paypal nailed me for $5 on my refund! Rotten thieving bastards...

So I threw away $5 and spent a week waiting on an order that was never going to be filled, nor apparently, were they going to inform me of that, and I still haven't vaccinated my horses.

My fault, I should have gone with the tried and true, not been a cheapskate and spent the extra couple of dollars, but this company had prices for vaccines and shipping that were $3 to $5 less, so it should have saved me about $25 instead of costing me money. That's what I get for comparison shopping, huh?

I'm guessing this is just a website where they are trying to save a buck by ordering stuff as the order comes in. It's probably just a fancy website and a telephone in someone's basement...

I use http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/...heartguard.htm. for my heartworm mes. A years worth of Heartgard for up to a 100 lb dog is $70.50!. Need a vets script but my equine vet is great and phones it in for me.

I've used Vidal's Pets out of AUS, too - no Rx required.
    http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vidalspets.sf

But if your vet won't call in an Rx (mine won't), can you ask them for a hard copy? Mine is always good about giving a paper copy - the vet has an online "store" thing, but they can't price-match... and they won't call in an Rx for me - they have to have a faxed request from the pharmacy, and they'll fax the Rx directly to them. I find that kind of annoying, so I just ask for the written 'script and mail it directly to whatever place has the best prices - that's been Smartpak, lately (especially if you can use a free shipping code).