The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ideas for CHEAP property line fencing

I could use some ideas for CHEAP fencing.

Particulars, it will not be used to keep animals in (maybe act as a deterrant for dogs), we have 5 strands of coated hot wire Ramm around all of our horse pastures. We have about 3 acres of woodlands we are clearing and I want to do some kind of cheap fencing around our property line. Several reasons, most pressing being the neighbors deer hunt and end up on our property.

It has to be SUPER easy to install by hand because we can't get equipment back there. I'm clearing out a straight line (as straight as I can get it) to run something, but I'm absolutely torn with what. I was thinking about a couple strands of high tensile but was wondering if there was a really cheap mesh (that is probably an oxymoron). Mainly because it would be nice to have fencing to keep our dogs from wondering and others from coming to visit.

Any thoughts/ideas?

dogs and and will go over and under mesh.... as it is similar to what we have. It kinda works... sometimes... My horses are pretty unphased by dogs so it has yet to be an issue yet, but I wouldn't count on mesh keeping anyone in or out for certain. What about step in fiberglass rods and a string or two of hotwire?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Five strands of barbed wire.

G.

electric rope and t-posts aren't toooo expensive. I am looking for something too, but have a much bigger area to fence. I think with all the twists and turns it works out to be almost 2 miles!! I would loooove to have mesh but don't think it's in the cards- $$. If anyone has ideas for cheap mesh please do share!!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

The only "cheap" mesh I know of is sheep fence or woven wire. It has 5" or so squares and comes in various heights. But it isn't very easy to install without "equipment".

I would probably put up 4 strands of Horse Guard tape and keep it HOT. Even deer hunters respect electric fence .

I'd use well grounded and very hot Horse Guard also. Four strands on my farm keeps out deer, bears, and stray dogs. My JRT's won't even try to scoot under it. In the woods you could use t-posts also with caps and be pretty safe.

Deer fencing

I wouldn't do high tensile, especially through woods, unless you want deer and other wildlife with broken legs. I'd also lean towards the snow fencing as visible, easy to install, and probably inexpensive.

I would do horse guard on capped posts. I don't like wire anywhere on a farm with horses, even if that particular area is not used for turnout, unless you are certain no horse could access it. When we first moved to our farm, it had only wire fencing. We had ripped almost all of it out and replaced it with board fencing the first week. And, of course, that week a horse got loose (incidentally, the only time in 5 years here that has happened) and crashed through the only remaining wire on the farm.

If we are going to go with hot, we might as well stick with the Hot Cote, it's cheaper then horse guard and won't break if a tree falls on it (a plus in the woods).

Okay, so 2 strands? 18" and 3 foot? Or different? This is really back off the beaten path so I can't imagine any of the horses willingly going there (they would have to field through at least an acre deep of prickers). The dogs....well. They come in with prickers stuck in them all the time so I don't think it's much of a deterrant for them.

Has anyone tried the snow fence? They also make one for crowd control and various other things. That may actually do what we want and at least provide a visual barrier but no idea how long that stuff lasts?

i have a similar problem, though we have close to ten acres of wooded mountainside to fence. it's been fenced over the years with tree saplings, we cut and strip them and can go tree to tree for the most part, with not too many posts needed. but over the years the saplings rot and break when trees come down or moose pass through, and this winter has been really hard on it. so i'll probably use snow fencing where i can, am even thinking about using the ugly orange plastic for visibility. i do have trouble keeping trespassers out, the woven plastic may help provide a stronger message that it is fenced land.
    i did some research a few years back and there is a tractor gadget which costs about 200 bucks which holds the roll horizontally and rolls it out as you go. it's probably worth the investment.

Default Hay

We've used both the wooden snow fencing and the green plastic snow fencing and it does work great. It'll even keep horses in if your horses are old and too tired to try to take the stuff down. We did have to replace when we got younger horses. It can be unsightly so we placed it way in the back where you can't see but certainly was cheaper...Got it at Home Depot.

And, one year I begged some off the highway department as they were changing to the plastic stuff and were throwing the wood stuff away.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

This http://www.discountfence.com/snowfen...fence_SF50.htm comes in green and costs $61.18 for 4' x 50 feet.

Maybe the orange plastic snow fencing,( if you didn't mind the color) but I'd be very wary of the wooden stuff. Years ago a horse where we boarded gottangled up in some that was beiing used as fencing. It was old and brittle and portions of it were broken. The ( wooden) slats broke, but the wire didn't He was a mess, but healed well, although it took a long, long time. For something fast and fairly cheap I'd go for the Tposts with caps and as many strands of hot wire as you can attach. Maybe more on the bottom 18"-24" span.

I was going to sugest the snow fencinng I saw it fist in a horse supply type catalogue, for a lot more then at my local RKO store. The snow fencing yeah bright orange but it was something lke 60$ for 100 ft .. This partucular link goes to black at the local store they had the orange.
    http://www.ruralking.com/4-ft-x-100-...ty-frence.html

Im glad someone asked this question because I had wanted to ask about he snow fencing as a fence for the beasties.. Now I dont have to ask..as the question was already answered...
    Friend of bar .ka

Looking pretty much like black snowfence once you cut it, erosion control plastic mesh comes in wider rolls that are easily cut so you get three 4 foot widths of mesh I don't remember the length of the rolls. It is lightweight and flexible, easily handled to install, ours lasted about 15 years and needs to be replaced but did the job keeping foals safely.

I reinforced it using strands of hotwire at 3.5 ft , 5 ft and 7 ft to keep our horses in.

Synergy Sporthorses
    Home to stallions Cotopaxi and Raffaello
    http://synergysporthorses.net