The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Why do you post photos and/or video of you riding?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never posted photos/video of myself riding and never will.

26 29.55%
  • I have posted photos/video of myself riding knowing that it wasn't great but wanting feedback.

20 22.73%
  • I have posted photos/video of myself riding thinking it was awesome but turns out it wasn't...

1 1.14%
  • I have posted photos/video of myself riding just to share, and I didn't care what anyone thought.

34 38.64%
  • I have posted photos/video of myself riding because I like the attention, good or bad.

1 1.14%
  • Other (Please explain in your post.)

6 6.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do you post photos/video of yourself riding?

I've been following the thread "My horse ROCKS..." (in Eventing) and it really made me wonder why people choose to make themselves so vulnerable to thousands of strangers on a message board by posting links to photos and/or videos - even when the riding clearly is NOT good!
    I understand some posters already know there's a weakness and they ask for help and advice, I kind of get that. But why not ask your instructor, trainer, friend, person on the ground? Why would you want to suffer the kind of "punishment" often unleashed by well-meaning strangers?
    But what I don't understand at all is when someone posts photos/videos and is PROUD of the bad and/or unsafe riding exhibited! (And sometimes they're professionals to top it off!?)
    Does this mean they don't even know it's not good? Or do they know but don't care what anyone thinks? Or do they actually want to be ripped apart online for some weird psychological reason?
    Help me to better understand and take the poll...

Sometimes it's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sadomasochism.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Default Why do you post photos/video of your riding?

Last edited by Lieselotte; Feb. 20, 2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: removed accidental second posting...

Honestly when I get pictures or video I used to post them without thinking because I know my horse is just *SO* gorgeous and I want to share (I mean, honestly, we all think our horses are gorgeous and want to share them and have others say the same, right?). BUT then I get comments and I look back and yup, my heels are up, and I'm leaning to the inside, and the horse may look a little unhappy (Swishing tail etc) and I start to see all the imperfections that my "barn blindness" originally kept me from seeing.

So, no, I don't post u/s photos or video anymore, unless it IS for critique (since I don't have an instructor at the moment). But even that, I do sparingly. Now pics of my horse running through the field with mane flowing..THOSE I still share, because I STILL think my horse's are the most AWESOME horses on the planet. I mean, doesn't everyone feel that way lol? (This was typed with a sense of humor..I know my horses are far from perfect and certainly are not the nicest horses out there..but they are MINE and I love them DEARLY). =)

Default Hay

You know sometimes when you get a bad critique, you feel defensive but when you stand back and it makes you become a better rider/horseman, then maybe all the mayhem was worth it.

If the rider in the eventing forum can revisit her horse and she makes the round 1 increment better, then maybe it was worth the 7 pages or whatever of criticism.

The journey to becoming a better rider/horseman/whatever is really the thrill you'll look back on as you get older.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I think for the most part, the posters are young and a bit naive. They are proud of their horse/riding. I don't think they really expect the "constructive criticism" they attract.
    Then there are the ones who find it easy to criticize especially since they are pretty anonymous. All you have to do is stand outside the ring at a show and
    listen to the comments. Its always much easier to ride when you not actually in the saddle.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I have some photos of myself and my horse from our first mini event. clearly we entered one level above what we should have entered ... well, let me clarify: the HORSE might have been ready for Beg Novice but I needed 8" telephone poles and piles of tree branches, not 2'3" dog houses and rolltops.

anyhow - the photos were HORRIFYING, I couldn't and still can't even bring myself to look at them. I knew during the show that I was overfaced and the photos confirmed all of my worst fears: I was left behind, I pulled on my horse's mouth, I got in his way in every way imaginable and I didn't deserve for him to behave so bravely and put up with me like he did.

I spent the rest of the season at starter novice, happily popping over those 8" telephone poles while the 11 year old children outrode me all day long and loved it. my horse had fun, I had fun, I didn't pull on his mouth or get left behind or jump ahead. I love those photos and would be happy to share them with this board.

but those first mini event photos? not so much. ;-)

I have found that most people don't ride correctly (including myself) and this is demonstrated when those folks choose to post videos and photos of themselves on the www. I get a tickle out of those who try to convince us they are the greatest riders ever then they post something that proves otherwise. It just goes to show that most on these horse forums are quite amateur. There are always those self-centered few who crack me up. I certainly appreciate the entertainment though.
    Even I, the lowly trail rider, can jump my horse several feet off the ground and run an event course or through the woods over downed trees but I will never look pretty doing it!

When I have posted a picture, other than in the "my pretty xyz pony" threads, it is to explain something that the picture makes more clear, like the one I just posted yesterday, about training a horse that can't stand on three legs long enough for the farrier, to lay down to have it's feet trimmed.

When people see something they don't like in a picture and comment on it, the OP can try to explain if it can why that was so, or ignore it if it doesn't want to hear about that.

I do want to say that when a picture is posted for the reason of 'look at us, we're having fun' or 'look at my pretty pony', I HATE it when others pick apart the rider, horse whatever when they were just trying to share their happy moment. The ones I get a tickle out of are the self-righteous ones who express 'look how awesome we are' when they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineAcres View Post
    I do want to say that when a picture is posted for the reason of 'look at us, we're having fun' or 'look at my pretty pony', I HATE it when others pick apart the rider, horse whatever when they were just trying to share their happy moment. The ones I get a tickle out of are the self-righteous ones who express 'look how awesome we are' when they're not.
    I have to ask- why do people on the internet care so much about how other people ride? If photos prove that most people are crappy riders (except for those doing the judging, of course, who never post photos of themselves ) then it seems that crappy riding is normal and people should just get over it.

And in answer to the OP, I post because my horsies are pretty and I like to share. I conceded the fact that I'm a crappy rider a long time ago, if people feel the need to point it out anyway it seems like they say more about themselves than they do about me

The few times I post pics of me riding, it's usually to show off my tack.. the trail I'm riding on.. how pretty my maresie looks (not training wise, just if it was a specifically cute picture! ). I never post them looking for riding critiques, and I usually make a note of that in my post, letting folks know that I don't need help with my riding over the internet, thanks.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I post videos usually related to the horse I'm riding and to show our progress or just for fun. And of course because more people check the canter blogs when there's video involved, so we try to take those regularly ;p

I think if I had a video of myself that was truly showing something dangerous or was spectacularly bad, I probably wouldn't post it. I'm pretty self aware like that. And if someone chose to tell me I'm riding horribly, it wouldn't ruin my day too much.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    The few times I post pics of me riding, it's usually to show off my tack.. the trail I'm riding on.. how pretty my maresie looks (not training wise, just if it was a specifically cute picture! ). I never post them looking for riding critiques, and I usually make a note of that in my post, letting folks know that I don't need help with my riding over the internet, thanks.
    I submitted a photo for critique by a trainer I idolize (in a very creepy, stalkerish way, but she seems OK with it so there you go ) and was amazed to find that she was completely capable of being both kind and informative- and she had tons of great suggestions and amazing insights, some of which was surprising and unexpected.

I think some people would love to get pointers, but the truth is that the people who most enjoy insulting other riders on the internet aren't really that good at giving good criticism or even developing a good idea of the rider's strengths and weaknesses from photographs. So, unfortunately, the critiques received here are of limited benefit .

You know what would be great? A critique forum with a strict "no insult" rule, in which people could ask for critique in a safer environment, and others could get experience giving critiques and "reading" photos. Even with anonymous photos would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    I submitted a photo for critique by a trainer I idolize (in a very creepy, stalkerish way, but she seems OK with it so there you go ) and was amazed to find that she was completely capable of being both kind and informative- and she had tons of great suggestions and amazing insights, some of which was surprising and unexpected.

I think some people would love to get pointers, but the truth is that the people who most enjoy insulting other riders on the internet aren't really that good at giving good criticism or even developing a good idea of the rider's strengths and weaknesses from photographs. So, unfortunately, the critiques received here are of limited benefit .

You know what would be great? A critique forum with a strict "no insult" rule, in which people could ask for critique in a safer environment, and others could get experience giving critiques and "reading" photos. Even with anonymous photos would be good.
    Yeah, if I could be sure no one would be giving me a critique just to be snotty I might be open to suggestions, but really, if I want help with my riding.. I ask a trainer.

But SE, trainers make you PAY for the insults. People here give them for FREE!

Honestly? I'd take much of the feedback with a grain of salt. I'd love to see the commentary if someone posted a picture of Phillip Dutton or Richard Spooner without any way to identify them. Folks would have a field day with their form over fences!

It's one second frozen in time and may or may not be an accurate picture of someone's riding. (Video is obviously a different beast) That being said, if *constructive* criticism can be given and received and is helpful, then I'd say post those videos and pictures. Extra eyes never hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    But SE, trainers make you PAY for the insults. People here give them for FREE!
    And for all I know, I've been riding for twice as long as the people here who claim to be "experts"!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    And for all I know, I've been riding for twice as long as the people here who claim to be "experts"!
    LOL, well you do get what you pay for