The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy broken wrist

So saturday was my first lesson back with my old trainer and indi (my horse) was perfect! then i took my helmet off to get down because i was handing to my instructor who was going to get on and he got spooked and took off i landed on my wrist and broke it. It sucks so bad because he was soo good and we have made so much progress and now i can't ride. So now we are "sacking" him, with every object i can find until he decides that it's no scary anymore and my trainer will be riding him. i can't stay off though so once i get a hard cast i'm still going to ride bareback. lol nothing dificult though just light walk maybe some trot. :]]]]]] anyone else got any broken bones stories???

ouch! why does it always seem like we break bones doing something "stupid" (i.e. not jumping a 4' fence or doing a big gallop into the field across the street)

Ouch! But hey, at least it wasn't your head you landed on!

Yeah, I did that one too. Mine though was even more embarrassing - I fell off at almost standstill! She unexpectedly moved a bit up and sideways, and I just slid off the horse in slow motion and apparently had time to "cushion" the fall with my wrist.

Default Yes, a big warmblood...

broke both bones in my wrist, right where my watch goes on the ground. My farrier helped me trim the cast so I could close my fingers on the reins! The Dr wouldn't let me have it that way. I rode my thoroughbred Training 3 weeks later. The first week I rode one handed, holding my arm up because it hurt. At the horse trial I wrapped the cast in black vet wrap for dressage. I wasn't sure they would let me go. It all worked well, he's trained through the seat thankfully!

Broke my hip when my leased horse bucked on landing after an easy stadium jump. I went straight up and came straight down on my side. It was a real bell ringer! I actually got back on but it started to hurt quite a bit so I walked back to the trailer. I had a non displaced femoral neck fracture. It was pinned in place the next day.

Last April broke several bones getting bucked off while walking on a loose rein.
    January 4th, broke my wrist getting bucked off (a different horse), landing on my feet, then slipping on the ice at the edge of the arena! Just getting back to riding this week after than one
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Last June I was at an event and my horse was being really good for once... I felt like we would have had a great SJ round and a good XC round.
    Except I will never know, because after the first SJ fence I got really light headed, and the next thing I remember was hanging around my gelding's neck while he's cantering around the arena. I finally let go and had immediate pain in my ankle. EMT's finally got there and I went to the ER because we thought my ankle was broken. The ER docs said it wasn't broken, probably just messed up the tendons/ligaments and to start walking in a few days.
    After a week I still couldn't walk, went to an orthopedic surgeon, who basically did nothing and told me it was not broken.
    2 weeks later I still couldn't even get my foot in a position to walk, so I went to another OS who looked at the x-rays, showed them to us and said "well, what do you see?" and there the fracture was, plain as day. Turns out I had several large bone chips that had to be removed. My OS to this day still says it was a really bad injury . I was non weight baring for 3 months, and then the day I could walk I was on a horse again.

Now I have to have surgery again on Thursday to do a tendon reconstruction because somewhere along the line, I tore the tendon. Don't know if it was torn during the initial injury and we never looked into it once we found the bone chips, or if I tore it after I started riding again or what... the only MRI I had was in November and it showed a tear (that was missed initially in November and just found in February)... Sooo I'll be non-weight baring for 6 weeks again and then will have to take it easy for rehabbing it because it's easty to retear the tendon once it's already been torn once. By the time I'll be allowed to ride again, it will be time for me to leave for college Once I can walk again I'll probably get on bareback or without stirrups so that I can at least ride...

Good luck with your healing process! I suppose if you're going to break something, the wrist is one of the 'better' areas since you can ride with the cast if you are really desperate enough
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Default thanks!

i got my hot pink cast today! wooo. pink is mine and indi's color!

I broke my wrist Dec. 2007 when my horse ducked his shoulder and I came off. I broke both bones, and they were totally displaced, so I needed surgery to reduce and fix the fracture with a plate and pins. Thank god though, because I was only in a cast for a week, then a splint after that. That meant I was able to start PT 2 weeks after the fracture, and was riding again 5-6 weeks later. My advice--when you start PT, do all of it and more! I have full range of mobility in my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by evntr06 View Post
    Yeah, I did that one too. Mine though was even more embarrassing - I fell off at almost standstill! She unexpectedly moved a bit up and sideways, and I just slid off the horse in slow motion and apparently had time to "cushion" the fall with my wrist.
    I might have you beat. In December when I was just about to start working with my friends new pony, I managed to break a toe by not-quite-getting into the shower. Didn't even fall, just kicked the lip of the shower basin. Couldn't ride until I got back from vacation in mid January, then had work issues. Finally got on the gelding 10 days ago and took him on a trail ride. He got goofy and fast when he came across a mare in heat. I finally got him under control and pulled up - never getting close to coming off, mind you! But decided I could control him better from the ground for a bit. I do my emergency dismount practice - and he moves over as I come off. I land off balance, scramble a few steps backward, and land butt-crack first on a rock that was exactly.too.narrow.

My tailbone is still complaining every time I sit with that 'cracked bone' kind of sore. Am I going to go get it x-rayed by our employees at our hospital? NOT, I don't need the grief! and it won't change the medical advice to sit carefully for awhile.

Back to ground training for awhile......

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    I might have you beat. In December when I was just about to start working with my friends new pony, I managed to break a toe by not-quite-getting into the shower. Didn't even fall, just kicked the lip of the shower basin. Couldn't ride until I got back from vacation in mid January, then had work issues. Finally got on the gelding 10 days ago and took him on a trail ride. He got goofy and fast when he came across a mare in heat. I finally got him under control and pulled up - never getting close to coming off, mind you! But decided I could control him better from the ground for a bit. I do my emergency dismount practice - and he moves over as I come off. I land off balance, scramble a few steps backward, and land butt-crack first on a rock that was exactly.too.narrow.

My tailbone is still complaining every time I sit with that 'cracked bone' kind of sore. Am I going to go get it x-rayed by our employees at our hospital? NOT, I don't need the grief! and it won't change the medical advice to sit carefully for awhile.

Back to ground training for awhile......

Ohhh man, that one has got to be the winner!

Tailbone injuries suck though... I broke mine a couple winters ago. Was riding with a friend, and she set up some small (like, 18"-2') jumps for me. I had never jumped in my life, but we were teens and somewhat gutsy and her horse was steady. So I went to go over this small vertical, I got popped out of the tack, landed BEHIND the saddle on his butt, he continued to canter, I bounced off his butt and smack down on my butt into the mud (the arena was horribly muddy!) Didn't feel any pain initially, and got back on... though riding in mud soaked breeches and undies is NOT fun
    A couple days later I had incredible pain, couldn't sit, couldn't stand up etc. The only place I was comfortable was if I was lying on my stomach. I continued to ride (I was also stupid!) and came home every day in tears because it hurt so freeking bad! My parents finally made me go have x-rays done. X-rays for a broken tail bone are pointless. Sure, you can know if it's actually broken or not but what do they expect to do about it? It's not like you can cast your tailbone! So all I got from the horible experience of having my tailbone x-rayed was confo that it was infact broken and no riding for 6 weeks... but I was back on in *cough* 2 weeks *cough*
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Gee Milo, you bounce AND break! With a high pain tolerance!

I had to get back on and ride this guy back to his home. I knew I'd done something unpleasant to myself but I was hoping it was just bruised.

I actually picked up one of those kneel in computer chairs a couple years ago from someone who was leaving. Thank the Lord for that! They are much better at keeping the pressure off without resorting to foam donuts.

But in three days I have to travel 2 1/2 hours each way to the capitol on bumpy roads. In a VW style bus ...