The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I know my horse loves (loffs!) me 'cause...

While I'm grooming him, he points his left front toe when I get around to that leg. It's bait. When I move my body around to face his head more or leas and bend down to brush the leg, I take the bait and then he grooms my back.

Yours?

My horse loves me for food

_________
    _~___/>__,/|>
    __//_//__.__ll
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

When I leave her in the crossties to dry after a workout, I put her cooler on, make sure she'll be toasty, and head either to the tackroom to clean my tack or the ring to help with jumps in the lesson. When I come back, she zeroes in on me and whinnies. When I get close enough, she starts blowing in my hair and nibbling, ears up the whole time. It's very much a "Where have you BEEN?!" response. Of course then she gets pats and love and maybe a little handful of that delicious Senior Feed that she is oh-so addicted to (she went through withdrawal when we switched her off of it back to regular sweet feed after her colic surgery - she would sniff the sweet, lip at it, and then eat the Senior around it. If given straight sweet, she would sulk.). Spoiled, maybe a little, but she knows who's doing the spoiling, so it's all right with me.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

My gelding often nickers when I come in the barn. I pretend this is because he's happy to see me for me, and not because he wants to go outside and he knows I'll be putting him out. Although, even that is a bonus.. he used to not like being outside and would beg to come in after an hour or two. Now he LOVES being out and I usually have to go hunt him down.

I've been busy the past few days and the extent of me seeing him has been doing his stall, giving him his beet pulp, and leaving. While doing his stall today (with him in it), he was practically on top of me the entire time (trying to eat the cord for my headphones --but we'll pretend he wanted to cuddle). Which was endearing for about 3 minutes, but I got sick of accidentally whacking him in the head with the pitchfork and made him leave me along. I miss cuddling with my pony .

He always lets me catch him!(I have just jinxed myself) He calls to me. He will come when called. He does 99% of what I ask him. He used to(when at other farm) run up to the gate when I drove down the driveway.(either in my car or my truck).

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

He literally gives me a kiss on the lips when I ask him "do you love me?"
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

Because when I get to the barn Shiver starts screaming and runs up to me! And its not even when she eats! woohoo! Might be the grooming though...filly is addicted to the curry!

When I read your title, my first thought was "Oh of course, because I scratch their itches!" So I am with the OP. I can't muck my paddock without two of them standing on top of each poop, hoping for-no demanding a scratch.

my horsiekins whickers every day when I take his bridle off the hook and go to put it on.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

She calls to me every time I walk out the back door. Of course I am the "food lady".

As he eats his nightly alfalfa mash I bring him, he has to get a kiss on the cheek from me ever 3rd or 4th bite... he keeps lifting his nose out of the feed tub, turns towards me and does that nose forward not-quite-a-nudge in my general direction thing that says 'Oh good, you're still here'

*Sometimes* he hugs me.

I'm the carrot dispenser, of course he loves me! Seriously, I don't know that we can say they "love" us, but I do believe he and I have a bond. He always comes to me out in the pasture, he'll follow me like a puppy, and if he's in his stall and hears my voice, he always sticks his head out to look for me. But I'm sure it's because of the carrots. LOL!

Mine love to see me come home, because that means food will be forthcoming!

Do they like me? I'm just mushy enough to want to believe that, but I think respect is more important than love.

It's not kyoot or funny when a horse invades your space, or uses you for a rubbing post. It means they consider you lower in the herd pecking order than they are.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Because as mean and grumpy as he pretends to be, he still likes his cuddle and play time. I might have to cut back on the play time, though...he's started to take it a little too far I'll go out in his pasture, and I'll love up on him, he'll "hug" me, nibble at the back of my jeans, you know, just messing around. I'll bounce around like a boxer and "punch" his neck and shoulders; just lightly tap him. He loves it, he'll bob his head up and down and follow me around in circles. He pretends to try and bite at me, but he's never once laid teeth on me. He KNOWS that teeth are not allowed. Anyway, the other day we were out playing around, and he starts tossing his head up and down, and I'm grabbing his face in a bear hug, and we're having fun, and all of a sudden he REARS. Like, all the way up, hi ho silver, standing 3 feet from me. It was a little intimidating I jumped backwards and hollered at him, and when he came back down he looked at, like "What? We're playing wild stallion!". I know that I'm very lucky that he's just playing, and that I really should be better about setting boundaries...

I get kisses and snuffles and nickers every time I am with him...I love my Dumplin', he is my heart and soul.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Miss Bailey comes up to the fence whenever I get to the farm, and follows me along the fenceline, into the barn. She's perfectly content to just hang out near me, rest her chin on my shoulder, and just likes to be close by. I like that she'll ditch the herd to hang out with me when I visit

There is also a gelding (well nothing's hanging there, but I really have my doubts...) regardless, he was orphaned, and I have been loving on him for about 18 months now. He's a jerk, but I find something about him really charming. He has been known to bite and kick at people. Never made contact or caused injury, but he's bad. It got him attention though, and negative attention was better than none, in his opinion. But he has stopped being so rude since we've bonded, and he never acts aggressive towards me. He actually gives me kisses and nuzzles me... of course he always looks around first to make sure no one is watching, don't want to ruin his reputation. I wouldn't say he loves me, but I think he appreciates the positive attention he's been getting.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Sophie will follow me in from the pasture without a lead line, but I have to walk over to her first. If I stand at the gate calling for her, she just pricks her ears and stares at me until I walk over to her.
    She also lets me groom her and touch her butt. She's very sensitive about people touching or gesturing towards her hind end and will kick out if they try. She lets me do almost anything to her, it's her way of showing affection
    One day I came up with a creative way of feeding treats and she played along nicely. Treats

My horse will come running when I call him, and walk back to the barn with me without a lead line. He's like a big dog! When you are having a bad day, nothing beats calling your horse from acres away and seeing him look up, turn and just start cantering toward you. It is THE best.

Rico used to nicker and come to me every time I opened the back door, but after he kicked me and we started working on personal space he stopped.

But he always nuzzles me from shoulder to shoulder when I'm standing near him, and he's not treat greedy, so I know he just does it because he likes the way I smell.

One day, when the trainer was working with him in the indoor, every time he came around the turn where he was facing me he'd let out a nicker.

Trav followed me everywhere until one day he decided that DD was his person, then he started following her everywhere.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My filly always comes when she sees me, even if she is eating.