The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default where are you getting your stirrup leathers!?

i must be hitting the worst luck here, because i cannot find stirrup leathers that fit. mine originally came with my passier, and i think the measure about 68"-70". I went to THREE tack shops. The longest then had was 64" (163cm, i believe) and they only sort of fit-I was on the fourth hole from the top (so they fit my leg), but not enough left over to tuck into my flap.
    I really don't have freakishly long legs. I'm only 5'9! so where are all the tall people getting their stirrup leathers from!?
    Last edited by TropicalStorm; Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Wow, what's your inseam? 64" dressage leathers are considered "extra long."

Even tall people I know are riding in 62" leathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Wow, what's your inseam? 64" dressage leathers are considered "extra long."

Even tall people I know are riding in 62" leathers.
    36" inseam
    I'm thinking that its not necessarily that my legs are THAT long, but more so that the stupid leftover of it can't tuck into my stirrup keeper once my stirrups are adjusted. I never had this problem before, so I'm wondering if it might be my saddle? I mean, length wise, the 64" fit-I am sitting at hole #8. but I'm short about 3" of it being able to tuck in my saddle!
    the other option someone suggested is that the ones marked 64" werent in fact 64", but more so 58" or 60"...mayhaps I'll try a different tack store and brand
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

My stirrup leathers do not go into the keeper - I am on the first hole, or possibly second of the leathers (haven't looked in a while). The leathers do not HAVE to go in the keepers....

I am not a tall person and specifically picked shorter leathers so that I would not have a lot of extra. I did not expect this little extra but not having the leathers in the keepers is not uncomfortable at all, they still lay at a bit of an angle and do not impede my leg.

I have the opposite problem. I need short leathers.
    Do a search for Gary Mundy. He makes custom leathers at a bargain price.

Prestige and Schleese both make an extra long-I have the same problem. No luck ever at tack stores, had to order on line.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I need short leathers.
    Do a search for Gary Mundy. He makes custom leathers at a bargain price.
    I have bought children's leathers before. My trainer laughs at me, but they work!

The last time I bought leathers was for my new saddles and I purchased them at Bartville, which is a great place to buy great quality leather at a lower price. Mine have nylon stitched on the inside so they will not stretch.

The bridles I bought were also much better than any bridles I saw at any other place for two or three times the price.

For those that do not know, Bartville Harness Shop is an Amish shop in Southeastern PA. They will do custom leathers also, though I think this shop is a bit far from the original poster and being amish, they are not online - only take cash and check (no credit cards)

I am 5' 9" and I got the long's I think made by Perris? I got them at the local tack store.

I haven't measured them but they work just right for me and there is plenty left over to tuck. I can go look to see what they say, my saddle is in my truck.

By the way, for inexpensive nice leathers if Gary Mundy doesn't work out (I know he's taken a couple of breaks recently)...

These:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270307702575

and these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270275919709

are very nice!

Your other option is to go for the webbers type, then there is nothing to tuck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FSS-English-NO-S...742.m153.l1262

I had the same problem (never long enough to tuck properly into the keeper), so I switched to the Bates leather webbers (they loop over the stirrup bar and adjust at the bottom). My local tack store was able to get them for me in black/long from their supplier for around $70--but I think they have them at Dressage Extensions too. Of course, I wear them on the 6th hole from the bottom, and my trainer has to wrap them 3 times to get them short enough! :-)

webbers are awesome... they didn't have any when I went in black, so I had to get regular ones, but webbers are definitly the shit.

Get the Bates leather webbers! No tag to tuck in and very, very sleek.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1235072138

I have to buy childrens leathers, and they are harder to find than extra-longs!

Of course, it makes it al little tough on my trainer when she has to ride in my saddle, LOL.

My pet peeve is I wish I could get childrens in 5/8" wide instead of 1", as they're very bulky.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

You should contact directly the saddle maker of the dressage saddle you own. I'm sure they will have the length you need. Generally speaking you are of average height so I can't see them not having the length you need, tho I really wonder why you have that problem. Is it maybe the location of your keepers? I went with the makers of my Black Country to keep the quality of the saddle in my leathers as well.
    I did find some on eBay but it was difficult to see what the quality of the leather actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I have to buy childrens leathers, and they are harder to find than extra-longs!

Of course, it makes it al little tough on my trainer when she has to ride in my saddle, LOL.

My pet peeve is I wish I could get childrens in 5/8" wide instead of 1", as they're very bulky.
    These

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270275919709

are 3/4" by 48" and are really, really nice! I just bought a pair for my daughter and was really pleased with them for the price!

unfortunately schleese does not make any longer than 160cm, which is too short by about 4-5", so that's a no go.
    thanks you all very much for the links though - it looks like dressagextensions may be able to help me out!

Same height, same inseam and same problem here

Dressage Extensions has up to 67"

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=3208
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Gary Mundy. I have some good brand name leathers and they don't tuck either. I also didn't like the buckle under my leg. Gary made me a pair of stirrup sleeves. I have the buckle at the bottom and run the end up. Nice and tidy, no bulk.

He even put cute little oak leaves on them for me...

I'm going to echo Icecapade-
    My leathers are by Perri's and have more than enough to tuck in the keeper. I'm 5'6" and ride on like hole 10 or 11.
    I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me