The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default What actors look to be pretty good riders?

I know there have been various threads about actors/celebrities who ride or own horses, but I'm curious who everyone thinks is a good rider based just on what you see onscreen. Obviously, it's easier with older actors because of all the westerns. I was watching an episode of Bonanza yesterday (ah, the joys of unemployment) where Charles Bronson was a guest star. I thought he looked good on a horse, which reminded me I was thinking the same thing while watching The Magnificent Seven last month.

Ewin McGregor.

johny depp....be still my beating heart

Really weird I know, but William Shatner.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    Really weird I know, but William Shatner.
    now that is a pretty picture

Tom Selleck.

I was boarding near Annapolis, MD and one weekday I was skipping work (benefit of working for the gov't) and there was a new guy at the barn. It was Tom Selleck. He was in town filming a Magnum PI episode at the Naval Academy and needed to polish up his riding (a local director kept his horse at the barn and lent it to him to ride). I asked if he'd like to trail ride and off we went. "Do you jump?"...he laughed and said, "Only when they don't know I do" and we were off doing small x-country stuff. He can ride and was a very nice guy. I took a photo to prove to the girls at the barn he was there.

That weekend I told my barnmates of his visit. "No Way!" was the usual response. I showed em' the photo...and then I got, "Damn, why didn't you give me a call!" I was impressed, he was friendly, was very careful with the horse and groomed him after he rode...and the guy could really ride.

Suh-weet!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Tom Selleck.

I was boarding near Annapolis, MD and one weekday I was skipping work (benefit of working for the gov't) and there was a new guy at the barn. It was Tom Selleck. He was in town filming a Magnum PI episode at the Naval Academy and needed to polish up his riding (a local director kept his horse at the barn and lent it to him to ride). I asked if he'd like to trail ride and off we went. "Do you jump?"...he laughed and said, "Only when they don't know I do" and we were off doing small x-country stuff. He can ride and was a very nice guy. I took a photo to prove to the girls at the barn he was there.

That weekend I told my barnmates of his visit. "No Way!" was the usual response. I showed em' the photo...and then I got, "Damn, why didn't you give me a call!" I was impressed, he was friendly, was very careful with the horse and groomed him after he rode...and the guy could really ride.

Viggo Mortensen looked GREAT in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

aww i like Tom Selleck even more now

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    Viggo Mortensen looked GREAT in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
    Don't forget he was also the lead in Hidalgo!
    Bloom where your horse plants you.

Tom Selleck.

You should share the pics with us, too!

Harrison Ford
    Patrick Swayze

Mortenson rides seriously as a hobby. and if I remember right, he brought his Lord of the Rings horse home from New Zealand.

Shatner is a very serious horseman in saddlebreds, he basically created their whole Western pleasure division.

Another actor who rides is Robert Duvall, he is wonderful to watch in Lonesome Dove as is Tommy Lee Jones.

One actor I HATE to watch is Kevin Costner. He has a good seat but he is always hauling some poor horse's head around with the reins until it gags: check out the Untouchables and Silverado.
    And Brian Dennehy - a very large Brian Dennehy - in Silverado climbing onto some poor horse is both horrifying and hilarious - the horse looks at him like, "you must be kidding!"

Snap FatDinah - I watched Silverado again last weekend and was going to say just that about Kevin Costner ... and now you mention it, Brian Dennehy too!

Wasn't Robert Duvall in a Julia Roberts movie set at a hunter/jumper barn? Can't remember
    the name...but he was ajumping jumps, if I remember. Doesn't Julia Roberts ride also--has
    horses at her place in Taos.

And the lead actor in the Snowy River Mountain movies...understand he was a horseman first and got the job because of his riding abilities.

I agree on Viggo... he bought both his LOTR horse and Hidalgo, I believe, because he loved 'em so much...

Tom Selleck.

I've been a fan of his "Quigley Down Under" and his Louis L'Amour movies. I THOUGHT that he looked comfortable in the saddle. Those movies suit him well.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Wasn't Robert Duvall in a Julia Roberts movie set at a hunter/jumper barn? Can't remember
    the name...but he was ajumping jumps.
    I know personally that Robert Duvall DOES ride over fences. Tom Cruise bought him a jumper the year Days Of Thunder came out....and he already had some nice horses in training at his then farm in VA. He's no Rodney Jenkins, but he's more than ample.

In the movie "Lonesome Dove" there's a scene where Duvall is riding in the desert being stalked by Indians, riding a horse....it's quiet, all of a sudden there are shots fired at him, and the horse lifts OFF the ground in a bucking fit. Duvall rides him really well through it, and off they gallop...

He told us that the scene was NOT supposed to include that horse going off, he just reacted badly to the shots. They left the scene in because Duvall rode through it so well, and it was interesting....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I thought Tobey McGuire wasn't too bad in Seabiscuit. Usually I just cover my face and shake my head when there's a horse scene in a movie.

Henry Thomas, who played Elliot in E.T., lives on a ranch in TX in real life and has ridden a long time. He played Matt Damon's buddy in All The Pretty Horses. There's a scene where he gets his stolen horse back, and he kisses it on the nose. So cute! Loved him before, loved him after that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by asbjockey View Post
    You should share the pics with us, too!
    Would you believe my ex-wife tore them up (including all my horse show photos and the ones of my old horses since dead) She even threw away my special mare's tail braid I kept. Nice, eh?