The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shoulder Rub: Bossy Bib or Sleazy Shoulder Guard

Is the Bossy Bib really worth the expense or Sleazy shoulder guard fine? Thoughts? Currently I'm spraying with Pink, rubbing hemerrhoid cream and leaving naked as much as possible. Thanks!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

What size horse? I use a regular shoulderguard, BUT I had to make several modifications for the xlg to fit my apparently xxlg. If I had known it wouldn't fit her right, I would have tried something else.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I did not have a good experience with the Sleazy, it minimized the shoulder rubbing, but ended up cutting in to my gelding's crest just in front of the withers and made it really sore. He was not an abnormally large horse, and I had the XL for him...perhaps he too was an XXL!! I haven't used a Bossy Bib.

The ONLY sleezies I like at all are the ones without a seam along the wither. I have seen dozens of horses made very, very sore by the shoulder guards that have a seam.

I think the bossy bib looks like an excellent option, and I would give it a try first if I had a horse with rubs.

The Bossy Bib is really good. You don't have to put anything on the rub just keep the area clean. I gave all my sleezies away, I won't use them any more.
    Whoever said that money cannot buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse.

I have the sleazy shoulder guard and I won't use it on my horse any more. She started getting a rub on one shoulder last month so I put the shoulder guard on her. She wore it for a couple weeks. It made her back SO SORE right behind the withers under the elastic band. Her skin bunch up and she had what seemed like muscle spasms near her spine on her mid/upper back. I tried riding her bareback and she nearly bucked me off the second I got on. (Very unlike her.)
    I've been putting MTG on the rubbed shoulder and trying to leave her unblanketed as much as possible to give the hair a chance to grow back. I think having a bald spot for a couple months is better than having a sore back. It'll disappear when I clip her in the spring anyway.

Bossy's Bib!
    I have one for each of my horses. They are fantastic and worth every penny.
    Easy to get on and off.
    Nothing to break or stretch.
    I finally convinced another boarder to order one and she's thrilled as well.

I do blanket repairs and I am alwasy fixing those lycra things.
    They stretch and sag. The velco gets hair in it. The full ones have zippers that break.

The Bossy's Bibs not only prevent rubs but heal them if you've already got them. In about a week to ten days you'll see the hair starting to grow back. A world of difference from a sleazy. Definitely worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialEffects View Post
    The Bossy's Bibs not only prevent rubs but heal them if you've already got them. In about a week to ten days you'll see the hair starting to grow back. A world of difference from a sleazy. Definitely worth the money.
    Does it heal them better than if you just left the blanket off for 7-10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mendin Fences View Post
    Does it heal them better than if you just left the blanket off for 7-10 days?
    I honestly don't know. It was the middle of winter so leaving the blanket off wasn't an option. I got a bad rub mark (and yes the blanket fits properly), put on a sleazy, the rub got worse, tried a Bossy Bib and I've never had a rub since.

I, too, had bad luck with a sleezy. It must have been slowly creating a pressure point on my guy's withers. Without visual warning, one day his withers popped open a HUGE sore. Took forever to heal it was that deep. I felt awful as there were no signs for me to see what the sleezy was doing until the day it popped open. He now has the white mark scars from the incident

Per the suggestions on this BB, I ordered a bossy bib. I was using one of the lycra shoulder guards but it kept shifting around.

I've been very happy w/ it. I like the "free flow" design so no worries about shifting and issues with a bellyband.

My horse had just a small rub mark on one of his shoulders. It's still there and I can't really tell if it's getting better but it's not getting worse.

I've been using it for a few weeks now.

I used the Bossy Bib and the Sleazy Shoulder Guard and they are both good, it depends on the horses' sensitivity.

For really sensitive horses, I found the Bossy Bib worked better and indeed, allowed the skin to heal while still wearing a blanket.

However, now that I have seen the Bossy Bib at work, I must say that in doubt, I'll buy another Bossy Bib instead of a Shoulder guard even for less-sensitive individuals...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I just ordered a bossy bib! I re-assessed the severity of my mare's shoulder rub today and decided I should probably do something about it.
    The woman I emailed to order a bib in the US responded quickly, then I made a Paypal payment, and she said she would ship it out tomorrow, yay

well I ordered my first bossy bib this morning! I'll report back!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

BOSSY'S BIBS!!!
    they saved my show horse's shoulders. it works beautifully and the hair on his shoulders grew back pretty quickly. I love mine SO much
    proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your comments and experiences with the Bossy's Bibs

Its wonderful to hear the great success everyone has had wth them

I can't remember where I read it, but there was something about a full body protector being done soon. Anybody else hear about this and know if it's available yet? Also does anyone have the white bib's that are for summer? I'm just curious if they are the same fabric just in white or if they're a lighter fabric. Thanks
    Whoever said that money cannot buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse.

Another vote to skip the sleazy. I bought a shoulder guard to stop the blanket rubbing on my mare. It didn't make it any better, and made another problem - the top of the sleazy rubbed out a chunk of mane that grew back in white!! I was so upset. It's not like it was a gradual thing either. Just one day I was combing her mane and a 1-2" wide chunk of mane and underlying skin just ripped right off. Ugh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Can someone tell me where I can order a bossy bib? I tried to Google, but keep coming up with sites only in the UK. Can I order it in the US?