The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Found a Dog!

Well, after all of the help and suggestions I got on here, I started looking at rescue sites just to get a general feel of what was out there. I stumbled across an absolutely gorgeous Border Collie and sent the owners an e-mail. He's been an outdoor dog all of his life, so transitioning to both an indoor/outdoor dog might be a bit of a challenge, but he seems adaptable, sweet and is gorgeous. Unfortunatelly, this weekend I was given a puppy that I had to put down not 24 hours later due to Parvo. Because this dog is not at the rescue yet (his owners have opted to keep him until May when I can pick him up) I want to make sure that I can get paperwork on all of his vaccinations and make sure that he is absolutely caught up on all preventatives before I go to pick him up. At 3-years-old, what veterinary care and health maintenence should he have had by this point?
    "...through his mane and tail the high wind sings,
    Fanning the hairs, who wave like feathered wings." William Shakespeare

If you had a dog w/Parvo on your property, please read this link.

http://www.dogforums.com/13-dog-heal...-clean-up.html

The stray I found had been an outdoor dog (and was a stray for over 2 1/2 yrs). He has never had an accident in the house. I think that sometimes, housebreaking a dog that isn't used to going potty in a house is pretty easy...they WANT to go out to go to the bathroom.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Thank you very much for the link! Thankfully, since I live currently live in an apartment, there should not be another dog here for a while. I sprayed everything in my pickup with lysol, let it dry and then wiped it down with Clorox wipes and have bleached the bowls that I used for the puppy. I was assured by the veterinarian that the germs that are in my pickup will be killed by the heat as temperatures reach over 100. I'm not picking up this dog until May, so this should give me plenty of time to make sure everything is 100% sterile.

What a sweet looking BC. Well...sweet and mischevious - lol.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Very handsome dog! However are you going to wait that long? I would be so anxious to bring him home.

That photo You can tell he's already a fraction in motion because he's leaning slightly, tail sweeping over for balance, beady little eyes focused. Wild child, ready to run. I love the runners. Invest in a long leash now, and search out some fenced areas where you can let him fly. I find softball fields in the burbs are now fully fenced and are perfect for exercising a dog. Obviously, not when anyone else is using it, and also obviously, walk the dog first elsewhere so he's not eliminating on the field I'd leave a long leash or line on the dog, so you can grab him easily. It is not easy to catch a loose border collie He looks like a lot of fun, good luck!

My dog's UTD shots include:

- rabies (1 shot, good for 3 years)
    - Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus (1 shot, DH-PP, good for 3 years) and a heartworm

and she's evaluated yearly for Heartworm, Ehrlicia and Lyme. You might ask the owners if he's on heartworm preventative already.

He's very cute!!!

I think if I had a BC I'd HAVE to learn how to do agility with him. That looks so fun!
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

He does look like mischief. We found a border collie on the road on a hot day when we
    lived in Colorado. Picked her up and brought her home. No luck in finding her owner and although our life style wasn't good for dogs (we both traveled a lot in our jobs at the time),
    we ended up keeping her. She was fabulous with our cats, stayed put, pottied outside,
    read our minds, was a good traveler and guest. She would herd about anything that moved including toads in the backyard. DH used to say she was a "once in a lifetime" dog.

The vet guessed her between 3-4 years old and possibly she was older. We had her for
    seven years and lost her to seizures about a year and half ago. She was at the vets almost daily for a week trying to find out what was going on but she died quietly in DH's
    arms early in the morning on our bedroom floor.

We fostered a black tri-color Aussie a few after her passing and ended up keeping him, but
    he hasn't come close to filling her foot prints. But he is what he is and we love him.

Anyway, have fun with your new friend!

Thank you all! I am so incredibly excited about it. He's my first "real" dog, so you can bet that he'll be completely spoiled. I went out today and bought a kennel for him, leash, collar and bowls. I wish that I could pick him up sooner, but he's all the way out in Indiana and being in school at Oklahoma I'm going to have to wait the end of the semester.

Here are other photos of him:
    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...nt=Chipper.jpg
    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=IMG_1176.jpg
    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=IMG_1186.jpg

Possible names up for consideration: Wyatt, Shane, and Hank (as in Hank the Cowdog)

What's his current name? I always heard it's bad luck to change the name of a dog or a horse (I'm not sure on cats..). If it's something you can live with, and you are superstitious, you may not want to.

I've always felt the same way, but his name is Chipper and we already have a dog named Chippy. I think it may cause some confusion?

Come up w/something that rhymes w/Chipper. Then again, he's a border collie, so he might get the name change instantly

I am a BC person, too. So is LSM1212, I hope she sees this thread.

I love my BC's. I have a purebred now, one that is mixed and the other who is suspected to have some BC in him but really.. who knows..

They are great. After having a dog so smart, it's hard to deal with anything else!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I don't put much count on the lucky or unluckyness of name changes, for horses or dogs or people.

I think that many dogs and some horses know their name and it fits them well, but others don't and changing the name is better.

Our 29 year old paint has gone thru three homes in his lifetime, each time the name was changed, just because there was another horse with that name where he went and at 29 years old he has been a very lucky and happy horse.

Most adult dogs we got had a good name and kept it, but the odd one that didn't have a name surely got a new one and they adjusted to it right off.

I would name your handsome fellow whatever you and him decide is best once you get him, althought it is fun to think up names, so you can have some already on hand.
    Don't be surprised if once with you, yet another better name comes to mind.

Most dogs, imo, really only hear the last part of the name.. so chipper and chippy would work, but tipper and chipper wouldn't. For instance, my pooch (BC/Belgian Sheepdog/ flat coat retriever cross.. no idea what her previous owners were thinking. THey bred their lovely show retreiver to a BC/Belgian Sheepdog herding dog. very odd combo). Anyhow. Her name is Paris, but she will answer to anthing ending in "is" (not is, but the last sound of Paris), or a variety of other names including "What did you chew now", "naughty" "D-O-G", and "pretty girl". My maltese (who is half deaf and 17 years old, and doesn't answer to much of anything anymore) used to come to her name, Fancy (or Fancy Face), but also would come to Kitty Kitty, Kimmy, and Flashy. Ofcourse the large black will come to Ivory and the little white one comes to Ebony too. (It was my attempt at Irony )

He is very handsome! I love BC...I have a BC mix that I got from the shelter as a puppy a year ago that has been the best dog. She picks up on things extremely quickly, is very attentive, and loves to please.

They are such incredibly smart dogs, I can't wait to have one of my own! My cousin used to breed them and it's interesting...he looks very similar to her old stud dog http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...sTrip06217.jpg

I'm still hoping that I might be able to find a ride for him from Indiana as it's about a 13 hour drive there and my truck gets an economical 10 miles to the gallon I looked into flying him, but I would feel terrible putting a dog that's used to being outside under that kind of stress.

Border collies love doing agility. You might look around for some classes.

Fourmares, I would love to get into Agility but with my schedule this guy's going to be super busy! He'll be my ride-along companion, learn to work stock, and once he's leash trained will be my jogging buddy as well

I just talked to his owner again today, he is up-to-date on all vaccinations and has been on heartworm medication throughout his life. She's going to send me all of his paperwork and such, so it sounds like we're covered! Eek, I'm so excited