The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default opinions needed re: foal value

Hello everyone,

At the moment, this scenario is only hypothetical, but depending on the answers, it may become fact.

Could I get some educated opinions (based on today's market etc) on a 2010 foal by Hickstead and out of a Belgian warmblood mare who has a very good resume at the Grand Prix level. Mare has had a couple of foals (by exceptional stallions - Quidam and Voltaire) who are not yet old enough to compete but they are correct and athletic.

My friend is considering this cross with a goal to sell the foal. Based on the limited information I have at the moment, what would be a reasonable price to expect to ask and receive for this foal either at birth or shortly after weaning? My thoughts are that the Hickstead foals will be similar to the Rio Grande foals and the Popeye foals in their first couple of seasons: they will fetch a very good price simply based upon the name "Hickstead". Once the quality of the foals and the type become clear through successive foal crops, they price will start to regulate itself and the cream will rise to the top. Do you agree?

Thank you for any insight.

Jennifer
    Belindale Farm
    Breeding quality ponies for show and pleasure.
    Home of Clay Creek Woodstock - visit him on Facebook

I would agree with you that Hickstead is very hot and the foals should be very marketable in the first couple of years. Since your mare has an excellent performance record as well, the foal should be very desirable. Has she produced any other offpsring? Under normal economic conditions I would the foal should be priced in $14,000-$15,000 range, perhaps even a few thousand more since Hickstead's stud fee is so high? But then again, the economy is in the tank, and I'm not sure how that will affect foal prices. Good luck. It sounds like it will be an amazing foal!

Forte, mare has had, I believe, 2 foals - both under 4 years old (see my first post).

Do you believe that 14-15,000 would be a reasonable price to expect to get or to ask? I would like to be able to say to my friend: "I think you should be able to ask $X,000 and you should very reasonably be able to expect to actually get $Z,000."

Thank you for your quick post.

Jenn
    Belindale Farm

I should think that there would be more interest based on the particular mare, but then again I`m biased
    I don`t think that it is unreasonable to expect 15-20K, as this is the going rate from the big farms like Beaulieu, breeding from their domestic stallions like Coolman, this is where their prices start, as stated on their site.

jumper, check your PM's
    Belindale Farm

I think you "should" be able to ask that, but I don't think there will be too many buyers - not right now, not for foals. I think you will have that foal until older and closer to being under saddle or actually under saddle.

You may feel $15,000 is a go for a very young horse but in our experience you could get triple that or more under saddle.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

yes, and that gives time for things to improve with people wanting to spend money.

Someone is going to have to pay board and/or expenses on that foal IF they buy it, so it will basically be taking a chance on someone willing to more or less pay your friend, say, $15,000 now and pay $20,000 for 3 years to keep it and then a trainer to start it, etc. so it's like buying the horse on time and hoping it doesn't try to commit suicide, like some foals do. In this economy, that's taking a big chance on an expensive foal that may or not make it to adulthood and may or may not be good. As he has no foals on the ground yet, no one knows if he is a dead end or a good deal. SOME potential buyers WILL take all that into consideration. I would say be prepared to have to keep the thing and get it started before being able to sell it - just in case. I would NOT count on being able to sell a foal by anyone now, although your friend MAY get lucky.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Default If I were a potential buyer of the foal...

the selling price would have to be justified by more than who the sire is.

I'd need to know more background on the mare: what were her scores/rank at her BWB mare inspection ? That's usually a good indicator of breeding quality, and subsequently, the quality of her foals. What does she consistently pass on, even when the sires are different ?

Are there any similar crosses between her bloodlines and Hickstead's ?
    How successful are they ?

Also, did the mare stay sound during and after her GP career ?

Bottom line: if I could know more about the mare's background, that would tell me more about the potential of the foal....and then I could decide if the price was justified.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Couldn't agree more with Mardi. The stallion is well known, but all that was mentioned about the mare is that she is Belgian WB with a grand prix resume. Grand Prix can have different definitions with some folks, there are those who call 1.30m Grand Prix.
    I think additional information on the mare would be necessary before coming to any conclusions regarding the value of the foal. It is also very difficult to give a range for the foal prior to arrival, so much depends on the actual foal.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Smile Is this mare Jade?

If this is the mare I think, she was more of a speed horse than a GP horse.

In saying that, Hickstead would not be my first choice for her. From what I was told about Jade is that she was quite a hot ride. That combined with Hickstead would give you something very few could ride.

Also her colt by Quidam was a little on the small side, when I had him vetted last year as a yearling.

As posted by someone earlier, I think Coolman actually suits the hotter mares very well, as he passes the scope and rideability.
    Last edited by Cover Girl; Feb. 18, 2009 at 08:03 PM.