The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with IM shots

Any tips for giving IM shots would be much appreciated. I know what sites can be used, but my horse jumps around and makes it really difficult. I'm a nurse and should be able to do this. I've tried the pat 2 times and then insert the needle but my horse fights and tries to get away. It took 3 people yesterday to hold him and he was in the cross-ties. We've been using his neck as the injection area and alternating sites. Once the needle is in he freaks and frantically pulls away. I'm doing the adequan series and have 5 more to go

Quote Originally Posted by Passage2 View Post
    Any tips for giving IM shots would be much appreciated. I know what sites can be used, but my horse jumps around and makes it really difficult. I'm a nurse and should be able to do this. I've tried the pat 2 times and then insert the needle but my horse fights and tries to get away. It took 3 people yesterday to hold him and he was in the cross-ties. We've been using his neck as the injection area and alternating sites. Once the needle is in he freaks and frantically pulls away. I'm doing the adequan series and have 5 more to go
    Try changing the needle routine completely; use his stall instead of crossties (he may be "expecting" the needle now), move him close to the wall with his butt close to the backside of the stall, rub him, pet him, etc. while keeping the needle *out of sight*. When he's calm, have someone cover the eye on the site you're going to inject him.

We had this problem with a boarders gelding who was also getting the adequan series. We tried waiting for him to calm, petting him, covering his eye, carrots etc. The trick the vet showed us. We had some-one pinch the opposite side of his neck and gave the shot on the side that was not being pinch. We alternated sides and it worked every time. Less stress for all us. Good luck I am sure you'll find a little trick that will help, please let us know what works for your horse.
    If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

Quit giving it in the neck, try the butt. I've met SO MANY horses who will flip out about shots in the neck, who barely notice a shot in the rump.

Also, lose the crossties, they're dangerous when the horse is fighting like that. I'd also suggest getting the horse against a wall or in a corner so it can't move around as much. Don't PIN the horse there and make them nervous, just kinda nonchalantly maneuver them into the corner.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I give all shots in the hamstring (alongside the tail) and leave the neck for the vet. Never had a horse object even slightly to injections "back there".
    Click here before you buy.

Do a skin twitch. It worked on my gelding.

Grab the skin where the neck meets the shoulder and fold it back. Grab it with your entire hand then just twist your hand back towards the shoulder. Then give the shot with your other hand. Works like a charm.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Quit giving it in the neck, try the butt. I've met SO MANY horses who will flip out about shots in the neck, who barely notice a shot in the rump.
    Can be very difficult on certain horses that have a great deal of muscle mass on the rear--I can't get a needle into my guy's rump without it breaking. Also, you are much more likely to get yourself kicked.

Take the cap off of the needle and cut it in half. Put the cap back on and jab the needle in (in the rump, or any other great suggested places & approaches in this thread). That way, if he does fuss, there is only a small tip of the needle in him, not the entire 2" wiggling around.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    Take the cap off of the needle and cut it in half. Put the cap back on and jab the needle in (in the rump, or any other great suggested places & approaches in this thread). That way, if he does fuss, there is only a small tip of the needle in him, not the entire 2" wiggling around.
    Or buy shorter needles

Ok, got me there.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

If the needle is too short or doesn't go in far enough, it becomes a subcutaneous injection, not intramuscular. Some meds need to be intramuscular.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post
    Can be very difficult on certain horses that have a great deal of muscle mass on the rear--I can't get a needle into my guy's rump without it breaking. Also, you are much more likely to get yourself kicked.
    No offense, but I kind of wonder how you're giving the shot, then. I've seen my vet give shots in the rear to every single horse in a 60-horse barn without problem. I've never met a horse that couldn't get one in the rump.

And you won't get kicked if you stand in the right place.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I give all shots in the hamstring (alongside the tail) and leave the neck for the vet. Never had a horse object even slightly to injections "back there".
    LOL...and then there's Blush. If you try to give her an injection in the hamstring, she will kick until the needle comes out. There is no way no how you're going to get anything in her that way.

She's fine--does not even need to be haltered--for IM injections in her neck or pectorals, though.

I have a few here who have been tarts to get an IM injection into. I never cross tie them. I may have someone hold them (halter/lead rope) lightly. I pinch the skin on the neck at just above where I am actually going to slide the needle in. I pinch and "wiggle" the skin with my pinching hand as I sneak the needle in with my other and plunge.

Now we have a horse here, not ours who's really bad and had to give injections into his chest muscles and rump. So we used Lidocaine cream to numb the stop we were going to inject and as my daughter gave him a treat I injected him-he stood like a charm.