The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff from First time horseless in 20 years/Do you sometimes WANT to be horseless?

I know this is a ramble, so.....

Sometimes I think I'm just over it all. The feeding, hauling feed and hay, cleaning stalls, all of it.

Then I step outside and am greeted with happy calls. But still, I've been doing this for 35 years and sometimes I really want to sell and quit. I've thought of boarding, but they are in my backyard and I can't imagine not seeing them every day. Plus it costs me less to feed all three of them than it would to board one although it is very labor intensive and I do it all by myself.

Anybody else go through this? Is it temporary? Can you fall out of love with horses?

No. I never want to be horseless. Even this morning, pouring rain and 40 degrees, I happily went out and tossed hay, and tried to blanket the ones with no blankets, which they happily refused, checked for overnight injuries, checked water. I never want to wake up and see an empty pasture. I've only had horses at home for 15 years, though, and my husband helps out. Maybe it will change, but I really doubt it!

My best friend has the most beautiful little barn, paddocks, arena in her back yard. Open a gate and you are on the best fenced, groomed trails. She got rid of her horse a few years ago and uses the barn to store lawn equipment. Seems like such a waste, but she is just so over it.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I sometimes do. Mainly in the winter, when I get out to the barn once a week, and when going there sometimes seems like a chore with all the cold and ice and misery. I think about how much money I'd save just to do lessons and not have Sam... especially when he had four vet bills, two emergency, in a month...

But then I do go to the barn and he does something silly, and I know I love him too much to ever sell him.

Yeah, sometimes. I also sometimes wonder if I waited sufficiently long after HRH Avery's passing; I was really enjoying sleeping in and not having to deal with "horse issues". But when the right horse finds you, what can ya do!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have 3 horses too, it's the vet bills that kill me, they seem to be higher every year. I don't ride them and what I really need to do is to lease them for the cost of keeping them or at least for part of the cost. People who don't own horses seem to have no clue how much it costs to keep them. The liability insurance alone is enough to drive you crazy and then those vet bills but my feed and hay bill isn't cheap either. I'm currently renting one of my pastures so that pays for my hay. But he stops renting whenever without notice. I need a steady renter. I'd also like to add more fence so I can rent more pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidapal View Post
    I know this is a ramble, so.....

Sometimes I think I'm just over it all. The feeding, hauling feed and hay, cleaning stalls, all of it.

Then I step outside and am greeted with happy calls. But still, I've been doing this for 35 years and sometimes I really want to sell and quit. I've thought of boarding, but they are in my backyard and I can't imagine not seeing them every day. Plus it costs me less to feed all three of them than it would to board one although it is very labor intensive and I do it all by myself.

Anybody else go through this? Is it temporary? Can you fall out of love with horses?

No, never. I sometimes wish I didn't have to cleans stalls every day but never wanted to be horseless.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Never. Without my horses, I don't think I would be able to draw breath.

I've been depressed since the economy killed my riding lessons. It makes my stomach hurt. I'll be better when I finally unearth a job of some kind.

We are sharing Im Natives Last's weather this AM-yucky, stinky, muddy, wet horses this morning-they are wonderful.

Yeah, sometimes, but usually only for monetary reasons! I'd be much better off financially! Yet, I was horseless for about a year and really missed them! So, I know for my sanity I NEED them in my life!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Default Love and old married folks

No, I don't think you can fall out of love with horses. You can decide a particular horse needs to move out of your life. You can wish for a break from the incredible labor, bills, etc..

But all this sounds like getting tired of a marriage. What do old married folks do when the spark dies down a bit?

I just got back from three busy, narcissistic months in Manhattan without my gelding. When I got back, I had one of those "What am I doing here/Why did I choose this?" moments. But, I took care of my horse, spent time with him, and within a week, remembered exactly why I don't want to be without a horse.

We (my horse and I) flew to Vegas the very next weekend and renewed our vows. The spark is back!

-mvp

To be honest? Yes. And I board my horse.

He'll be my last one I own and of course I'll keep him until he's gone (including retiring him).

I really do love him dearly... and I love horses but the added stress and money is hard sometimes.

Once he's retired, I'll just take lessons on some nice school horses. Won't be as much ride time but if something happens or I need a break, it's okay. And to not have that 100% commitment will be fine by me.

I'll always love horses but I don't think you have to own one (either at home or boarded) to love them... and enjoy spending time with them.

I had to take about a 12 year break from horses due to the fact that I didn't make squat for pay. I rode in lessons whenever i had the extra money. I would ride the horses that no one else wanted to.

Having that break from them made me appreciate them more. I love them. The feeling I get from my horse when he sees me doesn't have a word. My hubby plucks my last nerve and would go before the horse. YES I am serious. He also knows this fact.

I spent a lot of years taking care of other people and doing stuff that wasn't fun to have the horses again.

Along that lines doing the type of work I do requires me not to keep them at home for now. In the future that may change and I will hire someone to feed at night so I don't rush home. (nights are hard for me to get out of work). The horse I have now is a keeper. When he retires from hauling my butt around the show ring, he will be a pasture puff. Just having occasional trail rides, and pony rides.

OH and yest sometimes the wallet hurts. Like..I really need new shoes for work. My darline horse last week cost me 500. Between his shoes, spring shots, and chiro adjustment. No new shoes for momma.

Default Yes, actually

I would like to be horseless right now. I own a horse in partnership with another person. I would like to sell, but with the economy tanking, I don't know how quickly that will happen. I nursed this horse through assylium poisoning two years ago - not a fun time - and every time I think he is on the road to being ready to show, we take two steps back again. Don't get me wrong, I love him and think he is special, but I'd like him to be on someone else's payroll.
    Plus, hubby just took a pay cut to avoid a layoff, I work from home - now is not exactly the time I'd like to spend a grand a weekend on horse shows.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I'll fall somewhere in the middle here. I really miss having my own horse, I miss nickers and being "special", but I don't miss the expense or worrying about injuries and health, or having to get out of bed and take care of them when I am sick as a dog if I keep them at home.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I agree w/ the sometimes and especially this time of year. I would like to be able to afford a real vacation, and go on one, and not have to worry about the horses. Although I have great people to care for them when we're gone at little to no cost, but the length of time gone is very short, two overnights for a three day weekend and that's about it. We also have dogs and cats, but they're less expensive and easier to care for.

My parents feel they're a waste of time and money, but they sure didn't say that last year when their grandson was in his first year of 4-H and having an absolute ball showing the pony. He's moving up to a horse this year so they better not complain this year either.

All in all I love them and would be an absolute mess w/out them in my life, but there are those times and I think we all have them.

When we get our new farm, things will be a lot easier.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique