The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Video Replays Ocala 2yo Sale

So now that I have broadband I decided to look at a few 2yo's breezing. Bloody heck, it's been a long time since I've seen any horse going that fast! Really, I thought there was to be a whip ban on babies at the sales. Well it looked like whips were flying everywhere as well as nearly every horse having blinkers. They all look in great condition, but I guess I'm just not into that blazing speed on babies in Feb anymore. Heck I'm only breaking my Antonius Pius gelding now so he can run at the end of the summer, beginning of the fall.

I'm not being obnoxious or putting anyone down because the horses did look fabulous, but I quite like the ho hum canters down the stretch at Newmarket where the horses are just learning their trade. But, obviously not exciting.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Why did you have to post this?

These sales make my blood boil.

The whip restrictions are minor and not enough. I'd love to track the horse who worked a furlong in 9 seconds to see where he ends up running, if at all.

You would think that The Green Monkey taught these people a lesson, but nooooo...........

What I would like to see is a MINIMUM time rule. That is, if the horse comes in at less than say, 10 and 4, there is a hefty fine. Breezing an eighth in 10 flat will rank a bullet on a lot of racetracks, and taking these poor babies below that is criminal.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited to add: What I would REALLY like to see is the horses at no more than a strong gallop and NO TIMES POSTED. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Glimmerglass should start a thread about the 9 second colt and update it ala the Nicanor thread that was started a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    You would think that The Green Monkey taught these people a lesson, but nooooo...........
    It did. I think Demi only bought one and he paid $225k.

The sale actually went better than I thought. It was packed and people were having to park in the field across the road. All of the right people were there, they just spent a little less.

2 year old sales are the butt hole of the business. The wear and tear, the meds, the use... most of them don't know what their job is other than freakin' fast.... I HATE 2 Year old in training sales and those who capitalize on them. IF one buys one from the sale, they NEED to be turned out for several months to recover!!!
    I've been on so many ends of this. From being employed by the guy who injects every available joint to the one who helps x ray them PPE, to the one who gets them fresh off the plane. It's never good.
    I have a friend who works sales, and she loves it. Me.... never

Dick, didn't mean to make your blood boil.

I've been away from the American Scene for quite some time now. And what I took as being the norm, is just very different from what I'm used to nowadays.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

There will always be buyers at these sales, because this is where the good horses come from. Stardom Bound and Big Brown for 2 recent ones. I think Stardom Bound worked in 10.2, if I remember correctly.

I don't generally follow the auctions, but you have to wonder if this has anything to do with the speeds ...

BloodHorse 2-18-09 "OBS Reports Five Riding Crop Violations"

However, OBS officials reported that there were five infractions involving misuse of a riding crop during the Feb. 13 under tack show. The five horses involved were from the barns of four different consignors. Ventura declined to identify the horses or their sellers. The fines for the infractions were $500 apiece.

The uniform policies restrict the use of a riding crop. Within an eighth of a mile of the finish line, a rider is prohibited from striking a horse behind the girth and both of the rider’s hands must be holding the reins. A rider also is prohibited from striking a horse in any manner beyond the finish line. However, in situations where the safety of a horse or a rider is in jeopardy, the rider is allowed to control the horse with a riding crop as long as the crop remains in front of the girth.

“There was no real blatant misuse of the riding crop,” Ventura said. "I think that’s something that has improved over the years. Consignors have learned that whipping and driving a horse down the stretch isn’t the proper way to show a horse at its best. For the most part, the infractions were minor, but there were some horses that were hit within an eighth of a mile of the finish, so we needed to enforce the policy. The money will go to a good cause. We haven’t decided on which charity to give it to, but we’ll decide at the end of the 2-year-old (selling) season and distribute it.

Did anyone go to this month's OBS preview? I didn't go, have never liked or believed in 2yo sales and all I will say is that I hate them even more now. What a horrible way to ruin a nice, promising horse at such a young age.

The problem is--as halo pointed out--that the 2YO sales have the highest percentage of top runners among their graduates. So there's little incentive for anything to change.

One slightly hopeful sign is that the Barretts sales topper and one of the highest priced horses at F-T Feb both worked in 10.6, several ticks off the fastest works of the day. It would be nice if buyers came to realize that the babies don't have to breeze lights out to be worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    It would be nice if buyers came to realize that the babies don't have to breeze lights out to be worth buying.
    AMEN!