The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big floofy faux feral kitty looking for an indoor home (Balto., MD)

Pippin has been living in and around my backyard for just over a year. I trapped him in Dec. '07, got him fixed, and he acted very feral so I put him back outside. He's been a regular fixture at Erin's Outdoor Kitty Buffet since then, but never showed any hint of being friendly -- he would never come closer than 10 feet to me. But he had a nice cozy cat shelter that he could use, and seemed pretty content out there.

Until one day a few weeks ago, when I was out in my garage and suddenly felt something furry winding around my ankles. Pippin suddenly remembered he was a friendly kitty after all. I could pet him, pick him up, the whole 9 yards. It was quite a surprise, to say the least!

Upon the re-awakening of his inner snugglepuss, he pretty much moved into the garage and was out there mugging for ear scritches 24/7. During the really cold snap we had a few weeks ago, I finally relented and brought him inside. He stayed in a crate for a while so he could get used to indoor life (and so I could get him Feluk/FIV tested before letting him interact with the other kitties), but now he is out and about roaming the basement and even creeping up the stairs to peer around once in a while.

He is super sweet and purrs like crazy, and very affectionate. It will take a little work to acclimate him to a new person (I think he assumes anyone new is Very Scary until the person shows him otherwise), but once he trusts you, he will be your best buddy. He gets along well with other cats. He's somewhat timid and easily startled, so needs a relatively quiet home.

If I can't find him a home, I'll keep him -- he won't go back outside. But I know lots of people like the big fluffballs (and I really don't need another cat ) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

He is perfectly happy as an indoor-only cat, so I'm looking for either an indoor or indoor/outdoor and no-declaw home for him. He is young -- probably only about 2 or 3. He just got his rabies and distemper booster and is negative for FIV/feline leukemia. Recent pictures are below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/...00c2671a46.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/...f5a311aeb3.jpg

ThoroLove16 Guest

Talking

Oh my goodness he is adorable!! Floofy was not an understatement I wish I could take him, but I have two dogs who would chase him relentlessly. I do actually know someone who is looking for a kitty right now! I will be sure to e-mail her those pictures.

Bump for kitty.
    Sorry, I am down to 8 indoor now, 2 16 yoa, 4 15 pushing 16, a 12 yr old and a 5 yr old. I'll be available in a few years to take more as the elderly leave us. But I like shorthaired cats, longhaired dogs!

I love a floofy cat and he's adorable. Alas, I think our house is too hectic for him...

BTW - Ollie is doing great. He and Duncan are the best of friends - they wrestle and chase each other all over the house. Ollie also delights in tormenting our oldest cat and trying to make him play. I thought the old guy hated him at first but I find the two of them curled up together all the time. He's been a great addition to the family. Thanks!

Loved your post Erin, and hope you find a wonderful home for Pippin. He has to be the prettiest, cutest, most adorable feral out there and I know from personal experience how these ferals are so incredibly grateful for forever homes. Kudos to you for saving him and everything you've done. Give him a big cuddle from me, wish I could take him..

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Aw, lcw, you'll have to send me some pictures of Ollie all grown up sometime.

Thorolove, if your friend isn't into floofy faux ferals, I have a couple of 6-7 month old kittens (Gumdrop and Cinnamon) who also need homes, posted a little farther down on Giveaways. I'm hoping to rehome them as a pair, but would consider splitting them up.

Gumdrop is rivaling Ollie for Most Favoritest Foster Kitten Ever status.

Pippin is really an awesome cat. It's so cool to see them go from being petrified to wanting to climb in your lap all the time. He is one VERY lucky kitty...

He's almost an exact duplicate of my kitty - but I live far away and she gets jealous (even of the dog).
    Sandy in Fla.

What a doll! Love the floofy ones, too! Already got seven cats and a few left over fosters--sigh!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!