The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free to good home - 14-year-old TB dressage gelding in Louisville, KY

16.3 hands. Bay with no white. Handsome and very often mistaken for a warmblood. His size would make him suitable for man, though most anyone fits him.

Solid First Level dressage horse (though currently out of shape, the education is there).

The last time I showed him was at Octoberfest in 2007. He scored two 9's with a final score of 71 - winning the Training Level Test 4 class.

I had a baby this past summer, and since then just haven’t had time to ride him. My job situation changed and I don’t have the money to board him at a fancy facility. So, he’s living high on the hog at my parents’ farm enjoying 10 acres to graze on and his very own girlfriend – a 30-something year old Shetland pony. While he can continue to live in this wonderful semi-retirement for a little while (they want to sell their farm this summer), it’s really a waste and he likes having a job. It breaks my heart every time I visit him, because he’s so excited to see me and I can’t give him the time he deserves.

He is best suited for an intermediate rider although he was leased by a 12-year-old girl this past summer who rode him regularly, successfully showed him (Intro-Tr2), and got along very well with him. She decided she wanted to jump instead of doing dressage so I brought him home.

He clips, bathes, loads, ties, cross-ties and is generally a good guy. However, he is a sensitive, thin-skinned TB so he doesn’t much appreciate it if you brush him for hours on end.

Had his hocks injected 1/26. He’s lubed up and ready to go!

His only management “issues”/requirements are that he wears a heart bar shoe on his right front foot. He needs to stay in this shoe!

He also should have his hocks injected 1-2x year if you want to show him and/or work him hard.
    Some sort of maintenance supplement is also helpful. I always used Adequan or Recovery EQ with great success.

I also highly recommend that you keep him on his current diet of Strategy and/or Ultium. Sweet feed makes him high as a kite and doesn’t pack the nutrition that he needs.

Excellent references from a vet and blacksmith will be required. He will only go to an approved home.

There’s a youtube video of him from the summer of 2007 in my signature.

Please PM me if interested.
    Last edited by BigMick; Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Wacky fonts - possibly from using Vista.

bump

bump

Wow, he's a really nice horse. I hope you can find him a good home.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Default About Big Mick

Ollo Beth,
    I am legally The Poof [thnx to a 2 yr. old, Jesus & the Gov.]. I am relocating into the Lexington area & I am staying at The Red Mile/Tattersalles & the Ky.Horse Park, at this point. Looking for a mare, I saw your add & became interested in Big Mick. I am founding a Veterinary School in Az.& Ky.. dealing w/ owners of Spendthrift & Darley. Also in Real Estate Classes. Have had Thorobred, 1/4-welsh pony, Chigoteague, 36 y.o.Appy & Saddlebreds { 5-gaited}. Horse lonesome now ! Please call aft 6 pm. My cell is a Ca. # 310-924-0113 or e-me: veterinaryfoundation@yahoo.com. Thnx Pf

Default Dressage horse

hey. I am still very interested in your gelding. I am located in long island and if you haven't found a home yet and would consider him going to a great home with tons of references here please pm.

Beth - you have a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by the poof View Post
    Ollo Beth,
    I am legally The Poof [thnx to a 2 yr. old, Jesus & the Gov.]. I am relocating into the Lexington area & I am staying at The Red Mile/Tattersalles & the Ky.Horse Park, at this point. Looking for a mare, I saw your add & became interested in Big Mick. I am founding a Veterinary School in Az.& Ky.. dealing w/ owners of Spendthrift & Darley. Also in Real Estate Classes. Have had Thorobred, 1/4-welsh pony, Chigoteague, 36 y.o.Appy & Saddlebreds { 5-gaited}. Horse lonesome now ! Please call aft 6 pm. My cell is a Ca. # 310-924-0113 or e-me: veterinaryfoundation@yahoo.com. Thnx Pf
    Is this a bizarre post or what???!!!

Kind of scary....

I had to read it a few times to try to comprehend what the heck it meant...!

Well it DID show up on April Fools' Day. The question is: who supposed to be the fool here?

Is he still available? If so could you send me add. info and any info on that foot? Thanks jill
    jillriordan@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Is this a bizarre post or what???!!!
    You know, my friend joked that I should have added to my post, "crazy people need not inquire - you know who you are"

I guess she was right.

I have found a home for Mick! He leaves tomorrow for TN.

Thanks for inquiring.