The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default My horse ROCKS....!

Just finished our first Intermediate HT.... 2nd after dressage, one rail in stadium, only time penalties on xc--which was SO much fun, Livi was having a blast with the bigger jumps and really looking for the flags.... She "had it" from jump one, but it took me about another nineteen jumps to actually relax :-)

Jennifer

Awesome!! Congrats! Where was this?
    Any pictures?

Pine Top (what a great facility).... I'll have pix in a few days.... don't laugh when you see 'em, I was a wee bit nervous and slipped back into some naughty habits :-) but Livi was very forgiving.... :-)

Jennifer

congrats! how exciting!
    "Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Way to go! And thanks, btw, for admitting to falling back into some bad habits. It's nice to know that even the "big timers" do that. Keep on rockin' with your horse!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I love Pinetop's courses.
    I understand about the bad habits!

Thats AWESOME!!!!!!!! Congrats, cant wait to see pics!
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Huge congrats... can't wait to see pics!

Congrats on such a good dressage score!

The pics from the show are up already, btw. Here's your mare's!

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...74829833_9Vdov

Hehe, you can tell I'm a lot more worried about the bigger jumps than she is! She's like "just RELAX mom I got it!!!" Ugh, we got such a lousy spot to that red skinny.... (coming off the gallop to that big grey pillared jump, and I was thinking about the water/turn to the corner down the hill!) but I LOOOOVE the pics in the second water.
    http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...228_dpbBD-A-LB
    Whee!!

Jennifer

Whoa.

Congrats. That is a GREAT course. All gallopy and wonderful but BIG at the same time.

I love to see the results of hard work and dedication!

Great Job Jennifer!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I have to ask, what is it that makes her jump like this? Enquiring minds and all that...

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...312_Tk6To-A-LB

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...833_9Vdov-A-LB

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...696_na7MJ-A-LB

http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/...863_CavD8-A-LB

It would scare me to death at Training, never mind Int!

No kidding! The hanging, twisty front end and super stiff neck gives me a heart attack just sitting at a desk thinking about it. Sorry, but I'm guessing people hold their breath watching you guys go around. The mom in me says lower those fences and see if you can get a quiet bascule going and stay safe out there!

Good lord, what's wrong with that horse?? I would never jump a horse that hangs like that. Words fail me. I can't tell if she's throwing her head up because the rider is hanging on her mouth or if she has no front end. Lord, words fail me.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Where do you see her hanging? Her neck use is unique , but I don't see hanging.

Talking

Congrats Jennifer!!

This has been discussed previously at length, on this BB _and_ with my trainers; the better I ride, the better she jumps, but she's never going to be a stylist, particularly in the front end, and she has a hard to follow jumping style. This has been opined by multiple BNTs and ULRs. Fortunately she's also clever (if not always attractively so), honest, and forgiving enough to have put up with my errors as I've brought her from crossrails on up.

For my part, I had acquired some bad habits (such as riding too defensively) which I still struggle with when I get nervous. For instance at the beginning of 2008 we were having multiple rails in sj every time out, but by the end of 2008 we'd had about fifteen clean rounds between Prelim events and 3'6"+ showjumping classes. (Our last prelim we did have two rails due to unexpectedly slippery conditions). So far between an Intermediate CT, an IP HT, and our first Intermediate HT, we've had one clean and two 4 fault rounds, which I expect will improve when I stop going "oh god it's Intermediate". We haven't had a xc jump fault since a silly stop in April 2008 caused by my horse hearing another horse (out of sight over a rise) galloping toward us.

Jennifer

Hanging, in this instance, means her legs are dangling down beneath her over a jump. She is jumping with her chest just over her knees; they are under her chest and not under her chin. As well, her lower leg is not tucked up, and her legs aren't even and she could seriously catch herself on a solid obsticle. Its as though she can't get her legs up before the jump, is it because she isn't rocking back so as to pull her legs up? Is it her? Is it rider error? Almost every pic shows the rider hanging on her mouth, in dressage the rider's hand is crossing over her crest, and she does it often over jumps as well. The hard hold on her mouth as the rider is left behind or hanging onto her mouth means she can't reach out and over her knees. There is no way on earth that the head twisting and eye rolling isn't a pain response. Its as though the bit is hitting the upper bars of her mouth, and she's pulling her head up to avoid it.

Perhaps this has been discussed ad infinitum, but something hasn't sunk in with this rider. If this is improvement I cringe to have seen the before pictures. This rider should have her reins taken away on the longe line, and over jumps with a steady mount until she can ride without balancing on the horse's mouth. The horse should be given slow small gymnastics sans rider to see if it can develop correctly enough to jump safely. Currently, it does not show the talent and does not have the conditioning to carry its self correctly over a small jump. I would also be concerned about saddle fit: this horse is not using its back well at all. Is it the rider, the horse, the equipment? Probably all three, but I am deeply disturbed to see these photos and to read the news that the horse is competing in higher levels, and more so that the rider is oblivious and dismissive of these serious problems.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.