The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-visiting the scarey neighbors thing! *Update*

So, while we were out yesterday, my daughter called to let me know that the scarey neighbors three ponies were in our yard!
    Mind you, to get to our yard these ponies had to walk down a fairly busy 2 lane road maybe two city blocks long.
    My kids closed our gate so the ponies would not head back out on the road, and waited for me to come home to handle the situation.
    After talking to my husband, we agreed to call animal control and let them deal with it.
    Mind you, I have never called animal control on people before. But you gotta know, these neighbors are not normal people. Lots of strange things go on over there.
    Anyway, about 3:00 a cop shows up. Really a nice guy. I explained the situation and he agreed to take care of it. He went to the neighbors to get them, but they were not home. Not to worry, one of their slaves(?) was there. (another thread).
    The kid grabs a leash (they did not have lead ropes) and comes over. He turned out to be helpless. (nice kid though). Anyway, my daughter was able to catch the lead gelding within about 20 minutes. This pony had a halter on (WAY too tight mind you). The other poor guys were scared out of their minds. It took us until 7:00 to finally get them. We did it by leading them into the barn and trapping them. The youngest one had no halter (not more than 10 hands). When the cop finally got him (by using a rope halter of ours) the poor thing reared up and caught the cop in the mouth with a hoof. He ended up heading the the emergency room after it was over.
    By this time the neighbor was home and showed up. Not sure why she bothered because she was as helpless as anyone. She explained to the cop that she doesn't DO this. Her help does! So, the cops explained to her that she would NOT be leading these out of control creatures down that main road. We got the key, and let them out the back way so they could go around. My husband was leading the wild baby. By the time they got back to her place, maybe a half hour, the cute little guy was my husbands new best buddy! It was so sad. He didn't even know how to move forward off a lead.
    So, they get to the neighbors back pasture where she claims to have a gate. NO KEY!!! They stood there for a good 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get in. The cops were SO angry! They got a look at the sick cow these people are keeping. The got a look at the house that is so dirty they have to make paths through the garbage just to get around. They got to see this out of control woman in action.
    They assured us they will be looking into things further.
    I asked the cops to check into the shot record for these poor ponies. They have never had a vet or farrier over there in the 9 months they have been there. I don't suppose they have a coggins.
    We are so glad we called the cops. My only concern is that the womans wild child 6 year old showed up with his mom. I went into my tack room to get a lead and found him messing with my stuff. I told him to get out and never step foot in there again. He just shrugged his shoulders. He has no respect for authority. I am worried he may come back and do some damage in there, just for fun.
    What an evening.
    I feel so sorry for those ponies.
    Last edited by eventmom; Feb. 18, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

What state are you in that the law says they have to have vacinations and a coggins?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I you don't have a nice door on the tack room it's certainly time to get one-and put a nice lock on it. And if the people come back tell her the kids are to stay off your property (blame the insurance company), and keep pushing the cops and social services. And you do know that if the kid or any of the rest of them get injured on your property you are going to get sued. Since you've seen the junk and how they keep their slaves and the cops saw it too they can't prove you called the Social Services people on them about the living conditions, child welfare and elder abuse; I'm sure you can do it anonymously. If they come over and accuse you start practicing looking really shocked and denying everything.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We live in VA. I do know that you must have a coggins to transport in this state. I don't know if that applys to the fact that the ponies came on our property. The police were going to look into that.
    Yes, I do know they can sue if they get hurt here. Wild child just won't stop going to the neighbors. She bolted the gates and fences, and then put up signs. She has also contacted an attorney for help with him. He really wasn't coming this far (yet). Such a sad situation.
    I am just so happy that we called the cops. My husband didn't want to start a feud, but the truth is that they are a walking feud! She is always looking for a fight for ettention. We just need to cover our behind.
    Yes, I need to put a lock on the tack room door. So sad.

I lived with seriously scary neighbors in the past. One neighbor would let her horses roam free and refuses to come and retrieve them from my farm for weeks on end, and the other neighbor relaxed with automatic weapon fire for fun and male empowerment group weekends they called 'the puppy spankers'. It was seriously scary and bizarre and I don't look back on that time with a lot of fondness.
    Anyway, having been through something similar, I think you absolutely did the right thing. That's what the police are for. You didn't go out of your way to find these people. Their horses found you and will probably do the same thing again and again if you don't set up boundaries right away.
    I agree with the suggestion that you put a good lock on that tack room door and be extra vigilant around your property. Good luck with those nutjob neighbors. I feel for you.

I was also raised to be a nice neighbor, not involve the cops at the drop of a hat, etc., but sometimes you have to call in the authorities. It sounds like this was one of those times. I'm glad it worked out and the cops got an eyeful. And, frankly, that they got as inconvenienced and annoyed by these people as they did. That can only help you with any future trouble with these neighbors.

Default The continuing saga....

Today animal control came back to their house. I don't know the outcome of that one yet.
    But according to my good neighbor between them, shortly after animal control left, they heard a horrible sound coming from the scarey neighbor's chicken coop. My friend was concerned that maybe a fox had gotten in there. Lots of bashing and bumping around against the walls. Then she realized the wild child was in there screaming as well. "Now how does it feel!!!!, swearing, more screaming, etc.... It wasn't long before the door swung open and out runs the boy wacking the poor chickens with a stick running around the yard.
    Good neighbor ran in the house and grabbed a camera. She is trying to document the goings on over there.
    Who would believe this stuff?

Oh my Eventmom--

What a terrible situation for all involved. Especially the child and innocent animals.

I'm glad to know that animal control is on your side, and that your "good" neighbor is documenting the activities.

Sounds like some serious mental instability at that place, and you're wise to keep you head up.

Best of luck.

Jingles too.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

You know what makes me feel violated? Today I was talking about the situation with my nine year old. Now I had told her not to talk to these people at all. If they addressed her, just walk away.
    I have never done this before, but again, these people are not normal. They view kindness as weekness.
    Anyway, last night crazy lady, when she was walking to my barn to get her ponies, my daughters pony walked up to her to say hi. (My guys are very friendly). Anyway, my daughter tells me that the woman hit her pony with a lantern she was carrying! I asked my daughter why she didn't tell me. She said I was too busy, and she was not allowed to talk to the lady.
    I am soooo MAD. How dare she come on my land and hit my horses!

Quote Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
    Then she realized the wild child was in there screaming as well. "Now how does it feel!!!!, swearing, more screaming, etc.... It wasn't long before the door swung open and out runs the boy wacking the poor chickens with a stick running around the yard.
    Good neighbor ran in the house and grabbed a camera. She is trying to document the goings on over there.
    Who would believe this stuff?
    That situation sounds really weird - but I wanted to give you a heads up on that chicken chasing scenario. It's just a thought.

That kid may have been attacked by a rooster if he was messing around in a chicken coop. And yes - I've chased mine around the back yard with a stick too. And he's lucky he can outrun me. They'll run up to you when your back is turned and rake you with their spurs. It can really mess you up.

Especially if you're about the height of a 6 year old child.

So yes, it may be "weird" but there may be an explanation for the truly odd running around waving a stick at a small animal. I'm sure it looked surreal.

Whether or not a small child should be left unattended with an aggressive rooster around hens - well -I don't know.

When I was that age I collected eggs and had chores to do in and around the coop.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    That situation sounds really weird - but I wanted to give you a heads up on that chicken chasing scenario. It's just a thought.

That kid may have been attacked by a rooster if he was messing around in a chicken coop. And yes - I've chased mine around the back yard with a stick too. And he's lucky he can outrun me. They'll run up to you when your back is turned and rake you with their spurs. It can really mess you up.
    Well, you have a good point there. We do have chickens. Been there, done that

Either that, which is a good postulation, BTW, or the kid was acting out on the chickens what has been acted out on him.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Well, you have a good point there. We do have chickens. Been there, done that
    My rooster's name is Chucky.

The hens are "Brides of Chucky".

I have chased him around the back yard with a stick and I hope to God there is no photographic evidence of that. It would be too bizarre.

I hope the ACO is able to do something about the crazy lady. Consider signing her up for the lost cost spay/neuter clinic at your local shelter? That way you won't have to worry about any more spawn of crazy lady.

With the words my neighbor used, that was more along the lines of what I was thinking. I honestly have never gotten any vibes that the boy was physically abused. She screams and curses at him constantly. I hear it 7 acres away.
    She has claimed that he was sexually abused before. But the truth is, you really can't believe a word she says.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Either that, which is a good postulation, BTW, or the kid was acting out on the chickens what has been acted out on him.
    Ewwww... for some reason that makes me think of Mommy Dearest......

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    My rooster's name is Chucky.

The hens are "Brides of Chucky".

I have chased him around the back yard with a stick and I hope to God there is no photographic evidence of that. It would be too bizarre.

I hope the ACO is able to do something about the crazy lady. Consider signing her up for the lost cost spay/neuter clinic at your local shelter? That way you won't have to worry about any more spawn of crazy lady.
    I believe I can top that. Truth is, we had an evil rooster at one point. I told my husband if he attacked (unprovoked) my kids once more, he would be sorry. Well he did, and I got him. My husband had to put him out of his misery, as I broke his neck. I make no appologies for this. An evil rooster can be very dangerous with little kids running around.
    We now have 3 very nice roosters. Life is much more peaceful at my house (except for that scarey neighbor!

They view kindness as weekness.
    Oh, those people. You do have my sympathies. They're usually a restless tribe, so hopefully yours will move on to greener pastures, especially now they've developed a 'relationship' with the cops and animal control.

Oh, and my guys are Herold, Henry, and Herbert.

Sort of off topic, but when I was 12 we had a rhode island red rooster (one of many - we had lots of chickens and I hated them all) who came up behind me, rose up, and stabbed me with his inch long spurs right on either side of my spine, into the long muscles of the back. My dad had to get him off me, and let me tell you, he was JUST a little old to taste good, but we boiled him for a loooong time. But we killed him quickly, and didn't beat him with a stick. The hens used to peck me when I'd go for eggs, and my dad would have beaten ME if I'd hit one of them - they were his babies!

I'm so glad that I never had chickens or a rooster! Ouch~ geese scare me enough

Eventmom--I think I would have gone howlermonkey on crazy lady if she had hit one of my horses! What an awful woman!

I still think that the little kid was acting out from behavior exhibited by his parents (crazy mom), it just sounds too wierd. (unless it was an evil devil rooster).
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle