The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle soap Home Brew-- best recipes?

Do you have a favorite recipe for home brewed saddle soap?

i have this half bar of glycerine soap lying around, a microwave, lots of other tack-cleaning products, a deep desire to feed my leather well, lots of skill with that already.... and too much time on my hands.

I have heard about some whack recipes-- including glycerine, milk, butter... but never tried any.

Any recommendations?

I'll bite - I use a clear bar of glycerin bar soap (purchased at WalMart or Walgreens), unscented. Melt in microwave (watch it like a hawk), add 1/4 cup Lexol leather conditioner. Let cool, to solidfy. I've been using this recipe for years and my tack looks great. That being said, I love Leather New, too.

Default Thanks Go Fish! Any more recipes

Dear Go Fish,

That sounds pretty good. I really like Butet's Akene cream. It seems to me that this is an emulsion of glycerine and some kind of oil. Since I'm essentially chasing the ideal combination of those two things, why not combine glycerine and pure neatsfoot oil in parts-- say, 3 parts glycerine to 1 part neatsfoot?

Also, have you (or anyone else) seen the German stuff by the name of "Beinenwax" or something similar. It's main ingredient is beeswax, but I think it has oil in it as well. It comes in a bright orange little bucket, with black text. I haven't seen it around in ages, but it is nice.

Thanks,

mvp

MVP - I have a bucket of Bienenwachs (sp?) sitting downstairs myself. I love it! I haven't looked at the ingredients (I don't even know if there's any English on the container anyway) but for sure it is chock full of beeswax! From my limited German knowledge, 'bienen' means bee, and 'wachs' is wax, so based on the name I don't know how much other stuff is in there. But they sell it at my local tack shop and it's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
    MVP - I have a bucket of Bienenwachs (sp?) sitting downstairs myself. I love it! I haven't looked at the ingredients (I don't even know if there's any English on the container anyway) but for sure it is chock full of beeswax! From my limited German knowledge, 'bienen' means bee, and 'wachs' is wax, so based on the name I don't know how much other stuff is in there. But they sell it at my local tack shop and it's good stuff.
    Love that stuff, too! Its the best.

One of my customers made me the recipe MVP posted this Christmas. She put them in little jelly jars with lids and we gave them away at Christmas. Everyone has said they're great. She tried adding a drop of an essential oil (lavender or eucalyptus) to give it a bit of scent, but I'm not sure how much scent there is. It still smells like saddle soap to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I'll bite - I use a clear bar of glycerin bar soap (purchased at WalMart or Walgreens), unscented. Melt in microwave (watch it like a hawk), add 1/4 cup Lexol leather conditioner. Let cool, to solidfy. I've been using this recipe for years and my tack looks great. That being said, I love Leather New, too.
    Do you get the glycerin soap in the body-soap section of walmart? I've never seen it...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Default Exact instructions for the glycerine/neatsfoot recipe?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Wendellsgirl-- Will you give me your full recipe? What's the ratio of glycerine to Neatsfoot? Do you melt the glycerine first and then whisk in the neatsfoot?

-mvp

Default Just putting this thread back in the loop...

Any more great tack soap recipes out there?

Thanks,

mvp

I use a bar of glycerine (melt in microwave), a 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of lexol, 1/4 bar of Castile (melted)
    I mix together in a double boiler, add 1/2 teaspoon of favorite scent (lavender for me!) then pour into cupcake pans.
    For Christmas presents this year I added red and green dye to the mix to make colored soap- wasn't terrible looking but not great. I stacked the soaps and tied with ribbon for presents. Folks seemed to like them.

I play with recipes a lot! But soap making is fun!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

The Chronicle mag had the recipe with scented glycerine soap and whole milk and lexol a few years ago. I made lots of it in different scents and gave it to friends. I'll look for the recipe as I kept it, but just went back to using the Lexol cleaner and conditioner.

From a German rider I groomed for a long long time ago:

1 bar glycerine melted in double boiler

Add: splash of whole milk, dribble of olive oil

Mix together, add a bit of lemon juice as it is cooling.

Pour into tupperware container with lid, leaving room for small sponge to be stored with it.
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Dumb question of the day--

What's the reason behind adding the milk/cream?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    Do you get the glycerin soap in the body-soap section of walmart? I've never seen it...
    Yes...the bar is usually oval and about the size of your hand. Costs less than two bucks.

I like the idea of mixing in a bit of neatsfoot oil. However, I only oil my tack a couple of times a year. I wonder if oiling your tack more often would have an effect on the leather?

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Yes...the bar is usually oval and about the size of your hand. Costs less than two bucks.

I like the idea of mixing in a bit of neatsfoot oil. However, I only oil my tack a couple of times a year. I wonder if oiling your tack more often would have an effect on the leather?

Well since a larger bar of glycerine saddle soap costs about $1.50, I don't see why you just don't use that?

And yes, oiling your tack more often would have an effect on leather - too much oil is just as bad as not enough.

If you really want your leather cleaned correctly, cleaning and conditioning should be done in separate steps. There is no such thing as a true one-step cleaner and conditioner. The idea is to remove the dirt and sweat first, THEN condition. Otherwise you're just pushing the dirt into the pores of the saddle along with conditioner. That's what causes jockeys, which are a real pain to clean off.

the cream makes the soap softer and leather creamier.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC