The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Do any of you guys have trouble with stuff getting caught in the door gasket and eroding it? I've read on-line reviews of complaints of that and causing the door to leak water all over everything. I'm looking for a new machine right now and the reviews are very mixed, leaning to bad, on front loaders.
    I was looking for a picture and details on the front loader I have so that I could post a link for the OP. I was very surprised to read those reviews about gaskets.

Perhaps it was a particular model or year or something, because I don't have that problem with mine. But I do check the area between the gasket as items forgotten in pockets can get stuck in there. And that WILL affect the seal.

It's no more troubling to me than cleaning the lint trap in the dryer. If folks allow junk to accumulate around the gasket, I could well imagine their washer would leak.

Hope that helps.

I went through this dilema a few years ago. I wanted a machine big enough to wash horse blankets but delicate enough to wash my nice sweaters and underwear. I got a Miele machine. I love it, it can wash my delicates without ruining anything but can also wash my dirtiest horse blankets.
    I find with a really dirty winter weight turnout I might have to put it through twice, but with anything else it comes out beautifully. I do put on the pre-wash and extra rinse to deal with all of the hair.
    Another tip is to use the delicate cycle. Frontloaders do use much less water than a top-load machine, so sometimes you might find there is not enough water for a horse blanket. The delicate cycle adds more water to cushion delicate clothes. It's counter-intuitive but it works!

Best washer for horse clothes?

The big industrial ones at laundromats.. preferably at one with no attendant, or late at night when there's no one around.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post

The big industrial ones at laundromats.. preferably at one with no attendant, or late at night when there's no one around.
    Years ago I used to do that - but I swear we have a special aura or something because invariably some little Asian lady would meet us at the door screaming - No horse brankets!

Are we that obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post

I have to live in this town ya know.

Look, I have 14 horses here. There is no way that *that* kind of laundry is getting "snuck in" anywhere - even if I did it over weeks. Plus, I have no desire to stick it to the poor Laundromat people - neither the other customers nor the owners or managers should suffer on behalf of my horse obsession. That's my husband's job!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

A friend was looking at washing machine reviews online and the number one complaint people had about front loaders was that "when you want to put something in it while it's running and you open the door the water pours out all over the floor". I thought he was kidding me and he told me about the web site and it said exactly that.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

PAY DIRT!!!

I found a "soft mount" commercial Maytag Neptune on Craig's List! Brought it home yesterday and hooked it up today. After a couple rookie mistakes (don't ask) I washed my first blanket. I ended up washing it twice to get it clean, but I don't care! Because.... A) The blanket was in great shape after the first time, so I wasn't worried about it getting torn up more (like my spindle machine does) and 2) When I get the manual (found them on-line) I can reprogram it for a longer wash cycle! How KOOL is that! It came out beautimous!

I am so stinkin' happy over an old used washer!

The guy has a couple more, but PM me quick, he's gonna sell them to another laundry mat along with the MONDO machines soon!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

Woot score

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    I have to live in this town ya know.

Look, I have 14 horses here. There is no way that *that* kind of laundry is getting "snuck in" anywhere - even if I did it over weeks. Plus, I have no desire to stick it to the poor Laundromat people - neither the other customers nor the owners or managers should suffer on behalf of my horse obsession. That's my husband's job!

SCFarm
    When I had my orientation tour at the fire station I literally stopped dead in my tracks when I saw their washing machine. You could probably wash the blanket while it was still on the horse, it was that huge. I am trying to figure out when the best time to sneak into the fire station is. I could wash every blanket in the entire barn in one load.

Have got a Samsung front loader (big box scratch and dent day before inventory), bought
    the pair, the pedestals, loaded them in the truck and yelled "start the truck" like the lady
    in the Ikea commercial.

You can open the door while washing but it does behoove you to wait until the machine
    settles down. The tip about the delicate cycle is cool--will have to remember that. For some reason, I tend to use the extra rinse on most loads.

My guys wear 82 and 84 blankets but have still trucked them to the local commercial
    laundromat with the really big washers. We're in horse country and no one has said a word to us about it--we did ask the first time. It's about $5 for the biggest machines. I do do
    the sheets and lightweight stuff at home.

We have also taken them to the local do-it-yourself car wash and used the power sprayer
    wand thingie on them, first on soap cycle and then on the rinse, toss them in the back of
    the pickup and leave a trail of water on the way home. Toss them over the fence to dry.

Once upon a time, when we lived in Colorado, there was a local leather shop that did them
    for about $9 bucks and you had them back in two days. No fancy plastic bag or anything.
    They had hanging racks outside the back enterway for them to dray. When we moved
    here, it was $20 plus bucks plus leaving them at a drop off point, waiting weeks, picking
    them up a drop off point.

PS The front loaders due a great job on saddle pads--get them really clean instead of
    spotty clean like my old washer with an agitator. Nor does it twist them up.

As usual, I'm the odd-man-out!! I have a top load without an agitator and I love it!! The opening is bigger, no leaning over, gravity-fed, and, yup, you can add things after the fact. Blankets come out just great!!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Years ago I used to do that - but I swear we have a special aura or something because invariably some little Asian lady would meet us at the door screaming - No horse brankets!

Are we that obvious?
    I have a friend who is in the laundromat businesss. Seeing what she rakes in, I have no problem going to a laundromat and washing my blankets.

Don't tell me that no one has one of the Mieles from their Equine Laundry series? Available in multiple sizes with special programs for cleaning blankets and saddle pads!

The local technical rep tried to get me interested in one - after all, they are good enough for Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum and they start at only $15K ;-)

http://www.professionallaundry.com/d...ce/diff_3.html

http://special.equisearch.com/blog/h.../Beerbaum.html

Quote Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
    As usual, I'm the odd-man-out!! I have a top load without an agitator and I love it!! The opening is bigger, no leaning over, gravity-fed, and, yup, you can add things after the fact. Blankets come out just great!!
    I did drool over those, but just can't afford to spend that kind of money on a machine for the barn. Almost snagged one off of Craig's List, but it was one of the early recalled ones, so I had to pass. Lucky YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl View Post
    Don't tell me that no one has one of the Mieles from their Equine Laundry series? Available in multiple sizes with special programs for cleaning blankets and saddle pads!

The local technical rep tried to get me interested in one - after all, they are good enough for Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum and they start at only $15K ;-)

http://www.professionallaundry.com/d...ce/diff_3.html

http://special.equisearch.com/blog/h.../Beerbaum.html
    OMGiH - That's all we need now - imported horse laundry machines! Do they have brands on the left flank? They're German right? Have to be! Too funny! This the first thing I am going to buy when I hit the Maga Millions Lotto!

SCFarm

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    I did drool over those, but just can't afford to spend that kind of money on a machine for the barn. Almost snagged one off of Craig's List, but it was one of the early recalled ones, so I had to pass. Lucky YOU!!!

Not pricey compared to the front loaders!!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar