The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ariat paddocks--zippers icky?

I found out I can't go to EA this year, so I went on a small shopping spree online at Dover, since I wanted a vest that was on sale. (Vest was out of stock, bought seven other things instead.) One of the things I got was a new pair of the Ariat Heritage II paddock boots, which were on sale, and I really needed new paddock boots. (Not trying to justify my shopping spree. Not at all.) I was delighted with the right one... but it took forever to get the zipper down/up on the left one, and I finally gave up after struggling for a while to fix it. I guess I'm going to have to return it... anyone else have trouble with the Heritage II zippers? Should I maybe get a different pair? I did get a free cooler chair with them so I probably can't just return them and get non-Ariats. d;

Ironically enough, I ran into an Ariat sale at the local tack shop here. Tried on the Heritage II's (excited that I could get them for $45!) and discovered that the LEFT zipper on two were broken, and the third was a pain to get up and down.

Don't know if this is a defect, or pure coincidence. Either way, I prefer laces to zippers....
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Try spraying (carefully) the zippers with PAM cooking spray. Works great. I spray all my zippers as I am the zipper demolishing queen !

We (myself and two kids) have yet to have a pair of Ariat's (zip and field) that the zippers didn't go on. Dover replaced each and every pair after they examined them. I don't buy them anymore except for the field boots as they are the only ones that fit one of my kids well and it's to soon to go for customs.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I, on the other hand (knock wood), have yet to have a pair of Ariats that the zippers did break on. So I'll keep buying them (if the ones I have ever wear out).

I always buy lace up paddock boots and they last for ages, but I have had a pair of Ariat all around II half chaps for YEARS (I got them may 2004).. and while the buttons at the bottom crapped out ages ago and there are now some holes in the leather from wear and the stitching has been worn off in many places, the zippers are still good lol. Sadly, well not really at all, I lost about 30lbs and they are now way too loose unless I'm wearing big winter socks.

One of the other ladies that I used to ride with went through I think two pairs of tall zip up boots and also broke the zippers on her pair of half chaps (same kind I have/had)... she swore off Ariat after that I think lol.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

The zippers are, apparently, an issue. I have a friend who goes through some boots- although she takes meticulous care of them- and, with Ariats, it's the zippers.

The Ariat rep, who used to be my neighbor, gets a fairly nasty look on her face when confronted about this issue. In fact, I have found Ariat to be unfriendly about issues that I have had with my lace up boots, as well- having them crack by the ball of your foot, etc. They essentially want you to clean them up, to the extent that they look and smell like they dd when taken from the box. Oooopppsss. See, that is the PROBLEM, oh seller of Ariats.

Love the comfort- hate the company.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I had a pair of the Ariat Heritage, I think the zippers lasted about 6 months before I had to spray them with WD40 to get them to work. After another month, one got stuck in the up position (on my foot) and I had to cut the leather to get the boot off. I don't think I'll buy another pair of Ariat's, they're way too expensive to last only 6 or 7 months.

I have a pair of the zip ups, and what worked like a charm for me was rubbing a bar of DRY soap on the zipper. It coats the teeth, and doesn't make a smelly mess like WD-40. Haven't had a problem at all since I did it a year ago, and my zippers were STUCK before. I could NOT move either one of them.

Thanks for the tips--I'm lazy about sending stuff back, so I think I'll try the soap first, cooking spray next, and then if that doesn't work, try to clean 'em up enough to return. d;

Gah! Nothing works! I hate Ariat!

Want to return them for a different company... but then they might make me return the cooler chair I got for free with it. d; Then again, I should get to keep it for the annoyance!

ASB Stars--were your laced ones cracking on top, near the toe punch thing? That's the problem I've had with all the cheaper synthetic paddocks I've had, and that's why I wanted to upgrade to leather ones now, thinking they'd last longer... if that's an issue with them too I think I definitely want to go to a different brand!

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I'm not sure what you mean by "toe punch". Mine cracked, and developed holes right where they bend, on the sides of the ball of the foot- and it happened in about three months. I bought a pair of LL Bean waterproof hiking boots. At least they stand behind their stuff- no questions!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Ah, that's what I meant--that's where my cheapie synthetics keep cracking too, although a little more up to the top. Think I'll definitely have to go with a different company... thank you!

I'm not an Ariat fan but I will admit that I'm on my 4th year with a zipper pair I have and they are now just starting to crack on the inside point of my arch. I've never even had to have them resoled. I'm a Grand Prix fan but I've never had a pair that have held up like this particular pair of Ariats. The zippers haven't had a problem, either. I use them hard, too.

I am on my third pair in a year. Duh, you say? But the previous pair lasted a year and a half, with every day, constant wear. First pair looked bad after only one month and in 5 months looked years old.
    Ariat did replace those.
    Next pair did the same thing. The bend in the foot is totally cracked open. I went to a lesson out of town and discovered I forgot my boots, so off I went to the tack shop. The only pair of black, size 10 they had was a newer Ariat that is supposedly waterproof. So I have spent $400 in about a year.
    I love the comfort and the look, but if these go bad, I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    I bought a pair of LL Bean waterproof hiking boots. At least they stand behind their stuff- no questions!
    well gosh, I'm surprised you didn't learn something from that, then. You'll have much better luck taking your boots back to the store you purchased them from then trying to negotiate with the manufacturer - who would be in the MANUFACTURING business not the CUSTOMER SERVICE business. I think you'll find that most stores will stand behind the products they sell - they'll repair or replace a defective product and they'll deal with the manufacturers. If not, perhaps you should be dealing with a more reputable store like Dover or Beval who "stand behind their stuff".

Funny, I have had the same pair of those zip front paddock boots for years and years and never had a problem. But a couple weeks ago I was at the shoe repair shop and someone was dropping some off for zipper replacement, and the guy told her he gets a lot of them in for zipper replacements.

I have a 6 yr. old pair of Ariat zip paddocks, not sure which model, that after a year one of the zippers would not stay zipped. Finally, I decided to wear them only with my half-chaps so they would stay up.

Other than that, and the bottom button of all my Ariat half chaps crapping out, I haven't had any other complaints about the company. Well, except for the fact that much of their stuff is expensive yet made in China.

Every pair of Ariat's I've ever had break open around the ball of the foot. I usually get about 12 months out of them before this happens and admittedly am not that diligent about proper cleaning and care. Knock wood I've never had an issue with the zippers but just helped a friend cut hers off her foot when the zipper wouldn't go down. I buy them because they fit well and are comfortable but I think my next pair will be non-Ariat.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

I have Ariat paddock boots that pull on like blundies, (but they are a lot less "clunky" than blundies) and I love them!!! I think I've had them for about 6 years now and they are just fantastic!!